New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1025079 times)

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #8400 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:26 AM »
Pretty busy out there.. ;D

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Southbuffalojay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8401 on: Feb 05, 2023, 09:08 AM »
God bless those on the other side of the pressure crack which just opened up off Lewis.
Irish South Buffalo Born and Bred!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8402 on: Feb 05, 2023, 09:15 AM »
I figured something opened up somewhere. There was one heck of an ice quake this morning!

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8403 on: Feb 05, 2023, 11:33 AM »
It freaked my dead stick minnow out and attracted a keeper walleye to it haha.  Ended up with 12 eyes ( 9 keepers) and 3 perch. Great morning on 5” of black ice

I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8404 on: Feb 05, 2023, 11:48 AM »
Nice haul hornet!

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8405 on: Feb 05, 2023, 12:07 PM »
Thanks, too bad this ice won’t last long.  Crossed two narrow pressure cracks on my way back in that will open up quickly from the sun and warm forecast

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8406 on: Feb 05, 2023, 12:37 PM »
Moose you should live down here some people have no respect. Didn't feel comfortable walking out, cracks opened up 4' lots of icebergs, it was a long walk back. Amazed at how many people walk without a spud on 3-4" crushed ice.

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8407 on: Feb 05, 2023, 02:32 PM »
Who is the retard that parked a pickup and 25' camper in the Lewis Pt parking lot taking up 6 spaces?

The person is most likely self centered and inconsiderate with no morals. Mentally challenged people are more considerate than that person. I wish Lewis point remained like it was back before it was sold.  You would park out on the point, there usually was plenty of parking and I think the town plowed it. I avoid from Lewis point now, because of the parking is a nightmare.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8408 on: Feb 05, 2023, 02:37 PM »
I agree and there are better areas to fish where the bite lasts longer than a half hour.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8409 on: Feb 05, 2023, 03:12 PM »
XC- funny you should mention spudding on todays ice.  A guy on a snowmobile drove up to my shanty and asked how much ice I had under me.  I didn’t have anyone within 100 yards of me in any direction. Are you kidding me? I told him I had 4 good inches, he sat there for a few minutes and watched me land 2 walleyes then moved out to deeper water and parked to fish. 

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8410 on: Feb 05, 2023, 03:45 PM »
Friend retrieved his sled and gear this morning. He’s ok. Not a rookie by any stretch and lives on the water not far from the spot.
Stay on top

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #8411 on: Feb 05, 2023, 03:46 PM »
So by what I’m reading if I wanted to get out on the big lady I shoulda come up today.

Daggummit
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8412 on: Feb 05, 2023, 04:06 PM »
Yep, it was a good one but I had no idea the ice would have been as good as it was.  From the conversations on here all weekend I was expecting 2-3” of ice and wasn’t sure if I was even going to get on over deep water.  I get that people don’t want to be responsible for anyone getting hurt but there were hundreds of shanty’s on the lake today.  If you know the lake well, or at least spots you’ve been on in the past that freeze well,  use your judgement or contact someone you know you can trust for an honest ice report.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8413 on: Feb 05, 2023, 04:22 PM »

I trust a few but I still spud , ice isn uniform

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8414 on: Feb 05, 2023, 04:34 PM »
You’re also talking about a 24 hour difference with really low temps. As an example. I really couldn’t get out of my place at 9:30am Saturday but got out and fished on 5” of ice today.

People aren’t lying. Conditions change.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8415 on: Feb 05, 2023, 04:45 PM »
they can change the other way fast too .......one crazy year

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8416 on: Feb 05, 2023, 05:05 PM »
True, there wasn’t much snow cover either to insulate it from freezing more overnight but we really got 2” in that short of a time? It definitely didn’t waste any time breaking down once the sun got warm by 11am.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8417 on: Feb 05, 2023, 05:11 PM »
Yep, it was a good one but I had no idea the ice would have been as good as it was.  From the conversations on here all weekend I was expecting 2-3” of ice and wasn’t sure if I was even going to get on over deep water.  I get that people don’t want to be responsible for anyone getting hurt but there were hundreds of shanty’s on the lake today.  If you know the lake well, or at least spots you’ve been on in the past that freeze well,  use your judgement or contact someone you know you can trust for an honest ice report.
I agree most ppl on here tryna scare ppl off got out mile today and there was sleds all over the lake over deep water had 5-6” of ice everywhere drilled

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8418 on: Feb 05, 2023, 05:26 PM »
I wouldn’t be taking a machine of any kind not even a snow dog yet tho that being said stupidity can’t beat lazy the drags easy

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8419 on: Feb 05, 2023, 05:29 PM »
Definitely didn’t need my Smitty today, even with the sticky snow on the way back in

Offline Ric66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8420 on: Feb 05, 2023, 05:50 PM »
Fished out of Verona. Got there around 6:30am. Surprised to see some ATVs and sleds but out to about 20 feet ice was good. Past that and it looked sketchy to me. Just thrilled to finally get out. First half hour got nothing then started to get action. Went home happy at 10:30.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8421 on: Feb 05, 2023, 05:54 PM »
True, there wasn’t much snow cover either to insulate it from freezing more overnight but we really got 2” in that short of a time? It definitely didn’t waste any time breaking down once the sun got warm by 11am.

Yes. 2+ Inches in 24 hours. I checked a spot Saturday morning that was maybe 2” and would barely hold my weight. This morning it was over 4”.

You can make a lot of ice when it is below zero for almost 24 hours…

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8422 on: Feb 05, 2023, 05:58 PM »
better day today but it was a grind  cant get to my better areas, theres still very thin ice out there , i know area in less then a step goes 6in to 2in,,, and the 2in area aint small

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8423 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:04 PM »
I’m usually a week behind first ice and wait for the 6” report to head out but surprised that 1000 people took the chance this morning to head out.  Anyways, it was a good weekend for the locals to get a crack at it.  I had 2 walleyes iced before I even dropped a jig. They were hitting my first tip up before i could even set the spring. It was that kind of morning for me, finally.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8424 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:17 PM »
I’m usually a week behind first ice and wait for the 6” report to head out but surprised that 1000 people took the chance this morning to head out.  Anyways, it was a good weekend for the locals to get a crack at it.  I had 2 walleyes iced before I even dropped a jig. They were hitting my first tip up before i could even set the spring. It was that kind of morning for me, finally.
That sounds just horrible to start a day with. Shoulda been there, never had an eye bite like that.
Nice job
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8425 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:22 PM »
TY

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8426 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:29 PM »
They weren’t crushing the jig and my Wicked 13 ML didn’t have the backbone to bury the hooks in many of my jig hits but this one was driven home.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8427 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:33 PM »
What’s peoples thoughts is the ice gonna hold on till the temp drops decent again next weekend. Think maybe Wednesday/Thursday for a stop by
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #8428 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:35 PM »
I know onieda..(not like others FOR SURE)
But after looking closely at weather I decided to make the 3 1/2hr drive because it looks like this might be my only chance to get on the ice on onieda and wasnt disappointed...... left my place at 2 a.m...
We were first truck in verona parking lot at 520..
Took our time and spudded spudded spudded out to 22 fow...
Before I knew it there were machines running all over the place.. needless to say i was SHOCKED!!!!!!!!
 We started with appx 8" of ice..
Caught over 50 eyes... dropped several legals at the hole....
Caught some decent perch and dropped some of those at the hole also!!!!
By 130 we had our limit and headed back in.. when we left ice was down to appx 6" the warm temps will deteriorate conditions fast!!!!!!!!!!!
Bar none the best ice day I've had on any body of water!!!!
Thank you lady O!!!

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8429 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:39 PM »
Honestly, as fast the snow was melting off early this afternoon it will expose the ice to the rain and warm temps so I don’t see it holding up long.  That’s my 2 cents for what it’s worth

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.