Author Topic: Taking the Plunge...LIVESCOPE Build  (Read 12274 times)

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
Taking the Plunge...LIVESCOPE Build
« on: Apr 01, 2022, 05:30 PM »
Sooooooo I finally convinced myself to upgrade to Livescope (LVS32 or 34 TBD)....  Echomap 93SV deal was killing me.  I did a lot of research and I think I have a pretty good handle on what I need to make it happen, but wanted to list it out to see if anyone has any other thoughts/opinions/considerations.  I don't really need it until next ice season, so I am trying to watch everything and buy low where possible (unit and bag so far).

1. Garmin UDH 93SV -  Cabby's $700 - procured
2. Garmin XL bag, base -  Bezos has it for $130, considered Summit, but cost won out - procured
3. Garmin cables 010-12531-10 $30 and 010-13140-11 $55 - Garmin - procured
4. Battery - N@rsk 20.8H - I really like the indicator and USB ports, no issue with other brands - $200 Amped 19Ah - $170 procured
5. Pole/Mount - Summit all day, seems to be the consensus - $90 $125 - procured
6. Livescope bundle w/ box - LVS32 or LVS34, leaning 34 - $1800 - $200 rebate 12% cash back  - procured
7. Transducer cover - $40 - procured
8. 32GB Micro SD for Garmin unit - $20 - procured

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Taking the Plunge...LIVESCOPE Build
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2022, 07:40 PM »
I wouldn't buy the Norsk battery. Look at Amped's options. I'd wait it out and see if you want to go lvs34. I've got the 32 and am playing it by ear for now. I'll probably go with the 34 eventually, but even the 32 is amazing.

Summit has the best pole imo.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2022, 05:49 PM »
I did not care for the attitude of the Amp guy in the past, so I would say get a bigger battery, but make it Dakota.  I have had the 32 since it's inception and love it, but would have to go with the 34 if I was buying new.  You are definitely going with the right pole.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2022, 09:18 AM »
Does anyone use the GT54 for ice?  I see that Summit has a bracket for the pole.  I also saw a guy on YT that uses the GT10 and livescope at the same time for deep water fishing. GT10 would be nice, but quite pricey as a backup ducer when I have the GT54 already in my hands.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2022, 03:41 PM »
following

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2022, 06:03 PM »
I use GT10 with lvs32, works great in deep water, and a must, the lvs32 works well up to 50 or so feet, then you loose jig movement.  No experience with the other options, they have bigger cones, GT10 goes up to 16 deg.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2022, 07:37 PM »
Good to know, thanks. LVS34 could possibly help the deepwater issues. It has some  pretty impressive detail at distance in forward mode in a gg yt vid I saw. Potentially could have a bit better range than the 32 in down mode. Fingers crossed on that! I saw that Summit offers the GT54 ducer bracket for the livescope pole so someone must have tried it. Would be convenient since I have it but would it even fit down an 8” hole?  :o

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2022, 08:34 AM »
I don't really need it until next ice season,

Does anyone know if there are any limitations to using the LVS34 in cold temps? I have been getting conflicting info from sources that Garmin is stating its not supported for use in cold temps?

Perhaps if your setup in an ice house its not an issue but what if your running and gunning on the ice and its exposed to cold temps? Is there going to be any issues with the LVS34 in cold temps etc while moving around on the ice?

Hard to say with it being so new not many details out there. But I am in the same position and would like to get a LVS34 before next ice season as that is mostly what I will use it for. Its not worth the upgrade to me if I cant use it on the ice and would stick with LVS32.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2022, 12:48 PM »
Does anyone know if there are any limitations to using the LVS34 in cold temps? I have been getting conflicting info from sources that Garmin is stating its not supported for use in cold temps?

Perhaps if your setup in an ice house its not an issue but what if your running and gunning on the ice and its exposed to cold temps? Is there going to be any issues with the LVS34 in cold temps etc while moving around on the ice?

Hard to say with it being so new not many details out there. But I am in the same position and would like to get a LVS34 before next ice season as that is mostly what I will use it for. Its not worth the upgrade to me if I cant use it on the ice and would stick with LVS32.

Interesting turn here.  I had not seen that info.  It seems a bit counterintuitive for a newer technology to have a more limited function than its predecessor, but if you have to buy 2 different units then Garmin makes more money!  My limited understanding is that it is pretty much just a different crystal configuration (just like Vexilar always did with their transducers) than the LVS32, so I am not sure about why there would be a temp range issue.  I am not an expert and as you said, there is limited info available right now so I guess we will need to wait and see.   The LVS32 has a IF (ice fishing) version, but I have not seen large scale issues from people using the standard one on hard water.  I think they just made a cable or cable connection more flexible to handle cold weather and created a new part number.  You could not even buy it initially besides in their premium lithium battery ice fishing bundle kit. 

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2022, 07:20 AM »

It's a non-issue that idiotic people pushed with the LVS32 also. The operating temp of the PS22, LVS32, and LVS34 are all exactly the same, 0° to 40° Celsius. The storage temps are -40°C to 85 Celsius. The LVS34 will be just fine on the ice.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2022, 02:57 PM »
It's a non-issue that idiotic people pushed with the LVS32 also. The operating temp of the PS22, LVS32, and LVS34 are all exactly the same, 0° to 40° Celsius. The storage temps are -40°C to 85 Celsius. The LVS34 will be just fine on the ice.

That was my assumption, but thanks for confirming.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2022, 11:16 AM »
Solved my LVS32 vs 34 conundrum.  Was fortunate enough to win some nice coin fluking in NJ this summer and got that ear-marked for "play".  Still waiting until a bit later to see if a possible deal pops up, but the funds are secured  ;D. Few smaller items and battery still need to be sorted, but it seems to b coming together nicely!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2022, 02:48 PM »
Going with the 34?

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2022, 07:55 AM »
Yup. Based on my open water research I can only imagine that it will be better than the 32 to start with more updates on the horizon as well. If the Xr price wasn’t so crazy that could be the end all be all for deepwater lakers, but I have my flx-28 to cover that right now. Hoping for a cold winter!!!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2022, 09:27 AM »
How deep is the 34 good to, admittedly I did little Googling. The XR is good to 200' it looks like?

https://www.wired2fish.com/news/garmin-announces-new-livescope-plus-ice-bundle

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 09, 2022, 02:12 PM »
Not totally sure.  I would expect the "usable range" to be 40-50' like the 32, but with improved definition and some settings tuning it could be higher.  Once Canada freezes I am sure we will get a lot more info about the unit for ice fishing.  Not many people had it for hardwater last year.  XR is way out of my budget and might need an upgraded head unit too so I don't think its realistic for my purposes.  Lake trout is the only deepwater fishing that I would need extended range and I know that a lot of folks fish much shallower than me 60-120' and are very successful, so the unit more force me to fish a bit differently or use the vex and I am ok with that. 

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2022, 09:54 AM »
Decided to try to turn on my head unit and start learning the functionality of it and realized it will be much easier with the cable connectors. Had to make a few more purchases to get it going. I believe that I now have everything on order except the battery and LVS34/black box package. Its starting to get colder :)

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2022, 12:06 PM »
Welp I had to buy a 32GB micro SIM in order to download chart and softare updates.  Local Walmart said they had them so I went over on lunch break to find that they did not have a 32.  Bought a 64GB and of course that didnt work.  Add another $20 to the build.   Amazon had the one I needed.  Got the card formatted and downloaded the latest chart and software.  Up to date until I get the 'ducer.

Leaning towards the Amped 19Ah 14.whatever volt since it will fit in the garmin bag and give me a full day of juice for the least weight.  I really like the usb port(s) on some other brands, but no such feature on Amped.   

Any other batteries to consider?  I dont want it to be outside of the case.  Bag and pole is enough to carry without a battery container (powerbox) too.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 06, 2022, 06:51 AM »
Dakota battery, the reason being because the amped guy used to badmouth Dakota (his competition) all the time on the fishing sites, very unprofessional of him.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2022, 08:33 AM »
Dakota battery, the reason being because the amped guy used to badmouth Dakota (his competition) all the time on the fishing sites, very unprofessional of him.

The only "badmouthing' I saw was him talking about how they were not made in the USA like some people were claiming.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2022, 08:52 AM »
The only "badmouthing' I saw was him talking about how they were not made in the USA like some people were claiming.

I have 2 Amped Outdoor batteries and have had 0 issues. A 12 amp runs my locator and a 30 amp which runs my minnow tank, which I don't use often, so I'm letting my buddy use it for his Livescope 34...providing he let's me use it too.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 06, 2022, 09:31 AM »
I had considered Dakota, but the 18Ah is $10 more expensive than Amped 19AH without a lithium charger.  The one from Amped is also 3# lighter and includes the 14.8V charger. 
The higher voltage (14.8v), half weight (2#15oz) and lower cost with charger ($160) has me leaning that direction. 

Dakota is only 12V and 6.4#.  I think the voltage might be a marketing gimmick, but the data screams Amped on the side by side comparison.

I do have a Dakota 10Ah for my Vex and it works great. 

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 07, 2022, 01:54 PM »
Ordered the Amped 14.8V 19Ah with charger.   

Now I am either waiting until Black Friday to see if LVS34 winds up on sale on with a rebate option, or waiting for my cashback coupon app to give me a nice deal.  Just missed 7% cashback through Cabelas.

As close as we are to BF, I may as well wait it out.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2022, 08:51 PM »
Ordered the Amped 14.8V 19Ah with charger.   

Now I am either waiting until Black Friday to see if LVS34 winds up on sale on with a rebate option, or waiting for my cashback coupon app to give me a nice deal.  Just missed 7% cashback through Cabelas.

As close as we are to BF, I may as well wait it out.

I run the 19 as well. But then again I sell them in canada, so I’ve had them all! You will get a day plus of runtime, no issue.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #24 on: Oct 10, 2022, 12:29 PM »
I see a lot of people running the 93. Is there a reason for this? Is there better options for something costing similar? I see the 1022 mentioned a fair amount as well.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 10, 2022, 01:26 PM »
I run the 19 as well. But then again I sell them in canada, so I’ve had them all! You will get a day plus of runtime, no issue.

Excellent news, thank you for confirming that!  With the weight and specs I was a bit fearful I wouldn't get a sunrise to sunset.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 10, 2022, 01:36 PM »
I see a lot of people running the 93. Is there a reason for this? Is there better options for something costing similar? I see the 1022 mentioned a fair amount as well.

$$$$$$$ for me.  1022 is $600 more than I paid for my 93.  Bigger screens also require more battery power and a larger case. 

FYI- Average runtime with different setups listed on amped site:
https://ampedoutdoors.com/pages/garmin%C2%AE

Pretty handy, even if it is likely exaggerated a bit.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #27 on: Oct 11, 2022, 09:01 AM »
rgr that, thanks dude :)

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 13, 2022, 11:35 AM »
I received the Amped 14.8V 19Ah battery yesterday and wow it is light.  Its about the same size as my Dakota 10Ah but supposedly has twice the juice.  We will see about runtime when I have the Livescope on for a full day, but if it does what it says it should, its a very nice unit for larger electronics.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2022, 02:33 PM »
I received the Amped 14.8V 19Ah battery yesterday and wow it is light.  Its about the same size as my Dakota 10Ah but supposedly has twice the juice.  We will see about runtime when I have the Livescope on for a full day, but if it does what it says it should, its a very nice unit for larger electronics.

I use an AOD 30ah that runs an aerator that is just under a 2 amp draw and will run for 17 hours. You should be fine.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.