The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Some people are clueless!  (Read 12334 times)

oldschoolben

Some people are clueless!
« on: Jan 09, 2022, 07:58 PM »
Went out fishing today and came across where someone had been fishing, they left old bait containers, and cigarette butts everywhere , and chew as well, it really pisses me off to be honest!!!  I'm sure whoever was there won't read this  ,but just wanted to vent,

Offline JBDekes

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Some people are clueless!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2022, 08:03 PM »
Unfortunately this happens an UNBELIEVABLE  amount everywhere you go. Really sad they don't think of the impact this makes on ALL the areas, water or woods.

I always say as conservationists, we are our worst enemy.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2022, 08:04 AM »
Went out fishing today and came across where someone had been fishing, they left old bait containers, and cigarette butts everywhere , and chew as well, it really pisses me off to be honest!!!  I'm sure whoever was there won't read this  ,but just wanted to vent,
Saw a fishing vid the other day where this old pos was flipping his butts in the lake...everyone was defending him because he was old.....these guys are the reason you cant go anywhere without seeing beer cans,cig butts and other garbage in the woods.Same goes for all thier perch skins ect,if you have to leave it out there put it down a hole when you leave.
Dont ask

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2022, 09:35 AM »
  I've been a hunter and fisherman for over fifty years now.  I truely believe that "EVERYONE" has the right to their opinion, especially on a website designed to iniate conversation.  Even though I believe that it is your right, I have to say that in this case you are wrong!  Encouraging litters to put their trash down the hole is not a good thing.  Obviously, it wouldn't be around for others to see, but it will still be poluting the water.  And, if I can't see what you are leaving behind, I can't do my part to help keep the water clean!  I do agree that the ice would look better, but doing what you said is actually worse then leaving the trash on the ice.  There is no chance of someone disposing of it properly if a plastic worm container is laying at the bottom of a lake.  Just saying.

I agree....shoving it down the hole is like sweeping it under the rug....if your that lazy stay home and shove it under your own lazy boy chair and complain all about how the internet has killed the sport.
Its called PUBLIC land.... don't get mad if someone else is fishing there.

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2022, 09:39 AM »
  I've been a hunter and fisherman for over fifty years now.  I truely believe that "EVERYONE" has the right to their opinion, especially on a website designed to iniate conversation.  Even though I believe that it is your right, I have to say that in this case you are wrong!  Encouraging litters to put their trash down the hole is not a good thing.  Obviously, it wouldn't be around for others to see, but it will still be poluting the water.  And, if I can't see what you are leaving behind, I can't do my part to help keep the water clean!  I do agree that the ice would look better, but doing what you said is actually worse then leaving the trash on the ice.  There is no chance of someone disposing of it properly if a plastic worm container is laying at the bottom of a lake.  Just saying.

I believe PerchPounder was just referring to putting perch skins or any other leftovers from cleaning fish down the hole versus leaving it on the ice but could be wrong.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2022, 11:34 AM »
I believe PerchPounder was just referring to putting perch skins or any other leftovers from cleaning fish down the hole versus leaving it on the ice but could be wrong.

Check your state laws too...doing that here with any fish parts will get you a ticket.
Best thing is having 3-4 of those annoying plastic bags from stores with you when you go fishing. Try to return with at least a few filled with trash, becuz you know that some just won't do it. ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2022, 03:26 PM »
Maybe read before you post
 ::)
Dont ask

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2022, 03:30 PM »
Check your state laws too...doing that here with any fish parts will get you a ticket.
Best thing is having 3-4 of those annoying plastic bags from stores with you when you go fishing. Try to return with at least a few filled with trash, becuz you know that some just won't do it. ::)
not here...leaving them on the ice might tho
Dont ask

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2022, 03:33 PM »
 Perch pounder is within the law can’t clean fish within a 100 feet from shore so he could leave them on the ice if he chose to,

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2022, 03:42 PM »
You can't clean a fish within 100' of shore?? Seriously?  Why is that?  ???

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2022, 05:37 PM »
You can't clean a fish within 100' of shore?? Seriously?  Why is that?  ???
He’ll I don’t really know it’s just another NY law , guts in the water get eaten by all kinds of creatures 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2022, 05:45 PM »
Well, they can't be a lot worse than the gazillion ones we now have here. Can't even take minnows back home after fishing unless you pour the water out on THE GROUND, and refill container with water brought from home.
That means carrying a jug of spring water, becuz minners don't like chlorine. And worms MUST go in the trash, NOT into the ground, becuz they destroy the soil and kill young vegetation roots...I kid you NOT!  I'd like to know who thought up this stoopid sh**..... >:(

Offline TACP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2022, 05:53 PM »
That’s exactly it, clueless. I was talking to a guy while we were fishing and he just winged his cigar butt on the ice, like it didn’t even dawn on him what he was doing, he didn’t seem like a bad person, but it really made me think the same thing how can people be so mindless. Not to sound like a mush but it just seems that these people don’t have a spiritual connection to the outdoors, it’s gear electronics and abusing nature, and not ever feeling gratitude for a kingdom that has been laid under your feet and over your head.
Crappie isn’t crappy!

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2022, 07:27 AM »
No need to rant about it. It’s not going to change. Ever. Never going to change. Only going to get exponentially worse. Hoards if people are moving here to hunt and fish because all you guys can’t keep your mouths shut on your multiple social media accounts on how awesome Montana is. Might as well get over it now or just be pissed off the rest of your life. Not everybody that moves here is a saint like they are made out to be on this site. Wait till the population of Montana grows by another 10 percent in 2022.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2022, 08:29 AM »
No need to rant about it. It’s not going to change. Ever. Never going to change.
Finally, validation for sitting on my ass and doing nothing. I’ll file that under “Rejected Inspirational Workplace Posters.”

And speaking of misplaced sainthood, trash on the ice and at FASs, abuse of resources, vandalism, etc. was a problem here long before the latest influx of new residents.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Tinker

« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2022, 11:50 AM »
Well, they can't be a lot worse than the gazillion ones we now have here. Can't even take minnows back home after fishing unless you pour the water out on THE GROUND, and refill container with water brought from home.
That means carrying a jug of spring water, becuz minners don't like chlorine. And worms MUST go in the trash, NOT into the ground, becuz they destroy the soil and kill young vegetation roots...I kid you NOT!  I'd like to know who thought up this stoopid sh**..... >:(
usually politicians come up with this stuff but sometimes they use a little science, I honestly haven't studied just find things like this fascinating
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/invasive-earthworms-denude-forests/

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2022, 03:53 PM »
Your welcome for the validation. If you think your going to inspire change don’t hold your breath. All that was a problem before the population influx. Now it’s bigger problem. The 2022 population influx will make it even a bigger problem and so on and so forth until they turn Montana into the crap hole they came from. These people came here to post a picture of a bull elk on Instagram. They don’t give a crap about Montana or the land.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:01 PM »
All that was a problem before the population influx. Now it’s bigger problem. The 2022 population influx will make it even a bigger problem

I agree, and it's likely a problem everywhere.  You don't have to grand-stand to make or inspire change.  As earlier posts mentioned, bring an extra trash bag or two and make up for 2-3 idiots along the way.  Someone might actually see you doing something right and take the time to contemplate it or, better yet, point it out to their kids.  Lead by doing. IMO, you're (hypothetically speaking) just as culpable for the trash on the ice if you see it and choose to ignore it.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:40 PM »
Someone might actually see you doing something right and take the time to contemplate it or, better yet, point it out to their kids.  Lead by doing. IMO, you're (hypothetically speaking) just as culpable for the trash on the ice if you see it and choose to ignore it.
Exactly. As the saying goes…if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:47 PM »
Reminds me of a line from Huckleberry Finn, where Huck was talking to Jim: "they say bees won't sting idiots, but I know that ain't true, 'cuz I been stung a hundred times"...  :blink:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:53 PM »
Some things the slobs leave on the ice will go off with me and some won't.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline mtfishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2022, 12:48 PM »
The 2022 population influx will make it even a bigger problem and so on and so forth until they turn Montana into the crap hole they came from. These people came here to post a picture of a bull elk on Instagram. They don’t give a crap about Montana or the land.

I couldn't agree with you more, population of Montana is expected to DOUBLE in 10-15 years and TRIPLE in 25.  You think it's bad now, this is as good as it will ever be, unfortunately Montanas best days are in the rearview mirror.  Every one of you guys that post everything on social media, encourage every person you know to move here, it's all unraveling what you love about Montana and you all will have nobody to blame but yourselves.  Fact is, all you can do is pick up after yourself, when you see garbage, pick it up, when you see someone litter or chuck a cigar,  SAY something!  Educate these people or Montana will just be a craphole sooner than later.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:06 PM »
I agree, and it's likely a problem everywhere.  You don't have to grand-stand to make or inspire change.  As earlier posts mentioned, bring an extra trash bag or two and make up for 2-3 idiots along the way.  Someone might actually see you doing something right and take the time to contemplate it or, better yet, point it out to their kids.  Lead by doing. IMO, you're (hypothetically speaking) just as culpable for the trash on the ice if you see it and choose to ignore it.

Agree whole heartedly.

I've been picking up shotgun hulls, beer cans in the ditch, and a multitude of other trash up after slobs when hunting for the last 40 years.  We do the same on the ice.  Unfortunately, its as much or more native Montanans as the transplants.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:30 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm a smoker.  ::) But I carry a small container with a lid on it in me pocket to put me butts in. Seeing those things on the ice is disgusting.  :sick:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Grizz74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2022, 04:49 PM »
It’s simple leave it better than you found it. This applies to so much in life campsites, hunting, fishing spot, workspace or your own property. It seems this simple moral has been lost, take a kid fishing and teach them the right way maybe we can change things.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2022, 06:54 PM »
Agree whole heartedly.

I've been picking up shotgun hulls, beer cans in the ditch, and a multitude of other trash up after slobs when hunting for the last 40 years.  We do the same on the ice.  Unfortunately, its as much or more native Montanans as the transplants.

It's everywhere, I've picked up lots of garbage around here, sadly it's mostly from the locals, picked up quite a few shotgun hulls on the bird management units we hunted this fall.

oldschoolben

« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2022, 07:59 AM »
Too many ass holes out there, the older I get the less patience I have for dumb ****censored word****s, if they aren't leaving trash behind they set up their crap too close to you! Seems like some people have no issue with crowding you , I was really hoping covid 
Would have weeded a few more of these assholes out

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2022, 11:15 AM »
never understood why there isn't more enforcement of litter laws..Now i know the last thing anyone wants is more wardens walking around with a clipboard and writing tickets for gutting a fish within 100 feet of the water or something seemingly trivial or where the line is legitimately fuzzy...But one would think they could easily afford the salary ..or even just once a month overtime shift, from the revenues they would gain writing tickets for littering...Or have a box you can check when buying license for litter enforcement ....
Educating people is one thing, and always should be attempted, but bottom line is some people are disgusting selfish slobs and maybe the only way to make them change is a hit to their pocket book...

Offline icefishmissoula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2022, 11:26 AM »
Hey CCC,

How about an incentive.. Add a few cents to each .223 casing and you get that back when you return your casings. It works for bottles and cans on the west coast. An extra 10 cents a round would go a long way in encouraging people to pick up their casings. It doesn't make up for the amount of lead that gets left in our drainages, but I don't want to get started on that. Copper is the way to go!

Offline mt-mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2022, 11:27 AM »
i agree more tickets less trash learning curve.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.