Author Topic: Question about flurocarbon  (Read 6719 times)

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Question about flurocarbon
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2011, 08:19 AM »
Any particular brand or flavor???

ok now that the cat is out of the bag....i have found grizzly wintergreen works the best   ;D
Tried mint, redman, and a few others.  seems the fish like the wintergreen and so do i.   ;D

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Vanish is alright in the summer,but the stuff sucks in the winter,at least a cold winter like this one.Very unpredictable.Seaguar premier has been the best for me.

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:26 AM »

Very good info!!!!!!!!  Thanks again all!!!!!!!!!!! :tipup:
i ain't scared

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:53 AM »
I've actually had very good luck with Vanish, but the second generation product, not the original, not sure if the same stuff Boot was referring to or not.  ??? Seaguar A-brazx works well also.  I personally will never go back to mono with the advances in flouro., its so good it should be illegal on clear waters. ;D :tipup:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:23 AM »
Spool-able flourocarbon lines are just weaker at the knot.  The actual leader material is stronger and reliable. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:21 PM »
          I believe it is vanish .... Picked it up i think at the big "C"    in scarborough   I guess i'll mess around with it a little more,Just a little gun shy now!!!
Vanish is crap.  I've never had a good spool of it.  There's been numerous posts across numerous forums indicating many, many, many people have had huge problems.  I've had straight line tests of 12lb break at 1.1lb.    Don't let vanish taint your fluorocarbon judgement.  Berkley's 100% fluoro is better than Vanish.  I use Seguar for all my open water applications.  I started using Tatsu last year and it's the finest fishing line I've ever fished, bar none.

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Spool-able flourocarbon lines are just weaker at the knot.  The actual leader material is stronger and reliable. 
Completely untrue.  It's all the same material, it's the same process, it has the exact same characteristics.  If it is "leader material" it is simply classified as IGFA standard.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Feb 16, 2011, 07:01 PM »
Completely untrue.  It's all the same material, it's the same process, it has the exact same characteristics.  If it is "leader material" it is simply classified as IGFA standard.

Are you sure????

Seaguar tells me it's true.  Gamma told me it's true.  Berkley told me it's true.

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Are you sure????

Seaguar tells me it's true.  Gamma told me it's true.  Berkley told me it's true.
100% Sure.  If you're being told that from those companies, they're not being exactly truthful.  There is no difference in process, material, or anything else between them.  There may be minor formulation differences, but not enough difference to change the performance characteristics in that manner.  They will add a hard coat, let's say, to line, and are then claiming it is a different material.  Not true, the primary material is the same, there's a coat over it that has changed the exterior.
Seguar's Fluoro Premier is the only leader material I've ever had experience with that is so chemically differing in the resins that it is a different material all together. 
I guess in a sense, what you said is not entirely untrue, but let's call it sugar-coated.  (See what I did there, they coat the line...yeah, ok...)  I apologize for my initial response.  That said, I debate the given differences of knot strength, memory, strength retention when wet, and all the other perceived differences with leader material to mainline.  Let's also consider that most leader material isn't available in anything under 10lb, with the majority being 12lb. 
Anyhow, I'm rambling.  What it amounts to is this, the primary material has the same knot tying and strength characteristics as what they classify as leader material.  I've seen the lab tests that verify that.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2011, 09:58 PM »
The history of flourocarbon was born from it being a leader material (salt water).  The leader material is original.  The spoolable line came after.  The spoolable line was changed.  They started with flourocarbon coating the spoolable lines.  The leader material remained pretty much original formulation.  There isn't any extra coat on the leader material of flourocarbon.  The flourocarbon is the hard coat.  (In fact many hard coated lines are actually flourocarbon coated on the lines).  The same hard coat that can break it's bonds when tied as a knot a the spoolable version line.  Never a problem for the original flourocarbon leader material which was basically orginal 100% flourocarbon.  Now they've beginning to put out some spoolable 100% flourocarbon lines within the last few years.  Still not as strong as leader material.  Well maybe that Seaguar Tatsu line is, but it's a very hard and stiff line - kind of like leader material.

Furthermore I've confirmed the differences long ago as well as compared same experience from others who are more informed than I am (Tackle Tour).  Leader material vs spoolable lines, say some 20#.  Leader material has outperform in knot strength vs same labeled spoolable line.  Seagure Invisx.  Berkley Vanish.  Gamma Edge.  Those leader material also look more clear vs the sometimes translucent line looks of the spoolable stuff.  The leader material can also handle a line pinch deformity much better than the spoolable stuff.  When they made the line spoolable, they've made it softer and weaker.  That's about the only objective conclusion.  The real world application, don't expect the spoolable line to perform at the same level of the leader material.  Lab tests are good, but still not real world application.  You still need to tie the knot yourself and cast the lure.  

When it comes to knots, leader material have generally been superior compared to regular lines.  You don't talk about the knot failing on the leader, it's usually the line that's been shredded from bite after bite after bite.  AFAIK I've never heard of someone mentioning their leader material had knot failure, except for line crimp failures.  Regular lines - you still have that knot failure.  There's enough internet conversation of the constant search for the strongest most reliable knot.  Personally I've never had a line join knot failure on leader material, had enought from regular lines.  Real world application.  Salt water anglers have concluded this years ahead of us freshwater anglers with our hindsight.  Not that I'm gonna be able to afford 150# test salt water grade leader material and line to compare, but I'll trust their conclusions.

When you want to consider light test leader material, you may have to look at trout leader material but they come in goofy line test.  Not the same as tippet material which is a soft line in comparison.

If leader material is basically the same as regular lines, there would be no market for leader material.  Reality is, they're different even with the same brand label.  Not to mention cost.  ;)  Then again if some mfg wants to just repackage their regular fishing line as leader material, that's their marketing and they need to be exposed.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #40 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:30 PM »
There is also a huge difference between brands; look at Vanish vs. Seaguard. Although Berkley has completely reformulated Vanish at least once that I know of, it still cannot compare in knot strength to Seaguard. This can be a very muddy subject to cover, with so many brands, types, materials, unknown changes and lets not forget marketing departments… I have been working off and on in the fishing industry for years and the BS is amazing coming out of some marketing departments and I have worked for some of them!

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 07, 2011, 10:06 PM »
There is also a huge difference between brands; look at Vanish vs. Seaguard. Although Berkley has completely reformulated Vanish at least once that I know of, it still cannot compare in knot strength to Seaguard. This can be a very muddy subject to cover, with so many brands, types, materials, unknown changes and lets not forget marketing departments… I have been working off and on in the fishing industry for years and the BS is amazing coming out of some marketing departments and I have worked for some of them!

Marketing = BS. 

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:23 PM »
No matter what, it has been proven that mono has a far superior not strength than any flouro. Some mono havin 96 percent

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:41 PM »
I used vanish once and had the same problem with knot strength. I will never buy it again. I have had great luck with 8# p-line fluorocarbon on tip ups and jig poles and will surely stick with it. Even caught a few pike with no steel leader on p-line.
Budweiser pro staff

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Mar 09, 2011, 11:55 PM »
No matter what, it has been proven that mono has a far superior not strength than any flouro. Some mono havin 96 percent

I think with the exception of true leader material.  Since the leader material does not exhibit the weak knot strength problem found in the spoolable flourocarbon line.  You can pinch and tie the stuff and it remains clear.  As opposed to the many of the spoolable stuff, you see it turn milky as if the bonds are cracking just like how you would bend some clear plastic and it turns milky.  That just goes back to that the spoolable flourocarbon line has less knot strength than the original leader material.  Just so happens that it's weaker than nylon fishing lines.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 11, 2011, 08:51 AM »
i use yozuri  floro. leader material and havent had the problem of breakoffs like i did w / vanish. ive tried other brands but the yozuri knots hold up as good as mono of equal lb. test.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.