Author Topic: Question about Ice from a relative rookie???  (Read 1200 times)

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
Question about Ice from a relative rookie???
« on: Jan 19, 2009, 10:49 PM »
I spudded my pond out today to see if it was safe for me to fish it tonight.  There is about an inch and a half of snow on top of the ice, which came last week prior to the deep freeze that we had.  At that time the edges were open about a foot out and there was about 2" of ice about 5' out. 

Today I spudded 3-4" of mostly clear black ice under the snow, but noticed that when the spud hit about 2", it would go through and the ice would break out from the bottom, if that makes sense.  I spudded my way out to the center of the pond with the same results.  OK, 4" seemed safe enough.  Came back to the house, loaded the Scout and headed back.  First hole I drilled with a 6" Lazer, 6 turns and through, but the dang thing didn't want to come out of the hole very easy.  I noticed the drilled hole was like the spudded holes... go down about 2", then the ice just breaks out underneath.  You could see chunks of ice under the ice around the hole.

Being pretty new to ice fishing, I've never seen anything like this.  I checked and couldn't see where there was a separation between two layers of ice, it seemed solid throughout the entire 4".  Anyone seen this before, and how safe is this type of ice? 

I spent 3 hours on it with the Scout, pretty light load, and didn't experience any sagging or any excess water coming up through the hole.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Question about Ice from a relative rookie???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:53 AM »
I've seen it lots.  It's just different layers of ice that formed with different conditions.  They're held together well enough to count as solid ice, but when you whack them with a spud they just pop apart.  Sometimes you can even feel the difference in the layers cutting with a hand auger.  As long as their isn't a layer of water or slush between the layers, you should be all set. 

Enough talk about ice, did ya catch any fish?!?! ???

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
Re: Question about Ice from a relative rookie???
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 01:01 PM »
I wouldnt worry about the ice at all as long as its good clear ice and there is a good 4" or so you should be safe............but remember there is no such thing as "safe" ice................... .......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.