Author Topic: Box Butte  (Read 11617 times)

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Box Butte
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2007, 11:00 PM »
ice is good, 8-9 inches.  it never warmed up on the butte today.  it was making ice the hole time we were there, from 1 until dark. 

Offline TMFLDEM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2007, 04:04 PM »
and how was the fishing sorny?

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2007, 05:22 PM »
Haven't been to smith yet but with this new cold snap I would think that the lake would be good fishing.  Even greyrocks had good ice until the wind got bad out there.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 24, 2007, 01:26 PM »
The gill fishing was lights out once we found them.  didn't have a flag fly for northerns though, that was strange,  The gills had some real nice size with some over a pound.
Sorny

Offline kemp14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 27, 2007, 06:22 PM »
Heading up to Butte tomorrow. Where you catching all the nice gills?

Offline kemp14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2007, 05:03 PM »
Went to butte yesterday. Really slow. got there bout 8 and fished till 3 and caught 5 small pike and 4 keeper gills. Ice is way good. one feller had his four wheeler out there wheelin around his kids.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2008, 05:48 PM »
anyone been to the butte lately?  Or heard of any reports?
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 01, 2008, 05:00 PM »
I went up last Sunday. Ice was 14 in thick. My friends son caught 2 pike and a small perch.

You can sometimes get the frozen smelt in Hemingford at the little grocery store near the RR tracks.

Offline coyotetrapper1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:20 PM »
Fished the Butte today with two friends.  Drowned minnows for 4 hours and caught 7 northerns.  We were in the channel and beside the channel in 6-10 ft of water at Hunters Point.  Most everyone caught fish but  nothing great.  People were also fishing by the boat dock and dam.  3 above and colder than hell!

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:38 PM »
Decided to bring this one back from the dead.  Headed up that way this weekend to do some fishing and attend some graduation festivities in Chadron.  Any word on ice thickness?  I assume there is plenty after the last few days.  I will let you know how we do!

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 27, 2008, 03:42 PM »
I went up today and man was the wind blowing and cold!! Not a bite for me to speak of.

Offline walleyeslayer20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 31, 2008, 08:22 PM »
They sell smelt in Alliance at the Grocery Kart pretty big bag for just around 5 dollars or so!  Have had better luck with smelt for pike at Box Butte just pop swim blatter about 5 inches from bottom youll have pretty good luck if you fish around the Hunters Point area. 

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:45 PM »
Caught 2 decent perch and 1 nice blue gill today. Folks behind us did well catching northerns on live minnows.

Offline medicfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:18 PM »
Went to Box Butte on Saturday. Lots of ice, but we didn't land any fish. We were using minnows and some small dead perch and bluegill on quick strike rigs under tip-ups. It was my first time fishing this way. Must have been doing something wrong.

From what I've heard in the past, the pike at Box Butte are supposed to keep a person's tip-ups pretty busy. Any suggestions?? ???

Think I might have hooked a northern on my jigging rod -- had a minnow on a glow jig. Line took off and snapped before I could realize what was going on.

Lived in  Alliance for a while and fished on ice at Box Butte.  You will lose a lot of tackle unless you fish wither a wire liter on the end.  The northern will snap it every time.  Good Luck wish I could find a place in Eastern Nebraska by omaha to catch northern. :D

Offline bowhunter 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:56 PM »
any reports on the ice since the warm weather and the wind?

Offline ekemp14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Went to Butte today and fished till about 1 and caught 8 really nice gills and 10 pike with 7 keepers. Lots of ice. People had four wheelers wheelin around the whole lake.

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 10, 2009, 11:25 PM »
Thanks for the report ekemp ... That's great to know.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline bowhunter 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:03 PM »
does anybody know how the ice is holding up to the warm weather ???Just checked the forecast and its sposed to be in the fifties all week and only getting down to the twenties at night. Not to mention the fact that i havent even made it out yet :'(this might be a bad and short season for me.

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 17, 2009, 09:11 PM »
I plan to drive down there tomorrow. I'll post a report when I get back.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 19, 2009, 08:59 AM »
Call me a wimp, but I didn't make the trip to Box. With the 500 mph winds, we decided to chase buckets and other gear around the city dams instead. Can anyone else give a report from Box Butte? I'm hoping to get down there next weekend if the warm temps this week don't ruin it.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:12 AM »
I don't blame ya hawger,

Cut an eight inch hole when the wind is blowing 60 mph and it's 50 degrees out, doesn't take long for the hole to be 36" in dia. :o

dc

Offline bowhunter 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:04 PM »
any reports on the ice ???

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 05, 2009, 05:53 AM »
Wanting to come over this weekend.  any reports about the ice?
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Offline bowhunter 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2009, 07:45 PM »
fished box butte today, realy slow only landed 4 hammerhandles. Ice near hunters point is 3-5 inches and soft on the edges. ice near the dam is 10-15 inches with a few soft spots

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:11 AM »
Couldn't make it last weekend but am going to try for this Friday....any ice reports??  How's the fishing been??
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.