Author Topic: Box Butte  (Read 11616 times)

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Box Butte
« on: Jan 08, 2007, 03:15 PM »
Went to Box Butte on Saturday. Lots of ice, but we didn't land any fish. We were using minnows and some small dead perch and bluegill on quick strike rigs under tip-ups. It was my first time fishing this way. Must have been doing something wrong.

From what I've heard in the past, the pike at Box Butte are supposed to keep a person's tip-ups pretty busy. Any suggestions?? ???

Think I might have hooked a northern on my jigging rod -- had a minnow on a glow jig. Line took off and snapped before I could realize what was going on.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Box Butte
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2007, 03:45 PM »
Lived in Alliance for a few years and used to go there !
No deeper than ten feet of water use a smelt about four to six inches off the bottom .
No weights on you line either just pop the swim bladder and center one of the three hooks on a treble hook through the side of your bait so it floats straight .
Works in any region too .
My best luck is in waist to shoulder deep water for the pike .

Good luck ! Use this method and Box Butte Res should treat you pretty good . I would fish off a point or a good transition area .
Let me know how you do !!!

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2007, 03:57 PM »
Thanks, Tigger! Now, if I can just track down some smelt, we'll try 'er again. Tried to find some smelt last week, but had no luck. You must not think the bluegill and perch will work, eh?

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2007, 04:20 PM »

depending on where you live,  you can usually find bags of bait sized (whole) frozen fish in oriental / ethnic food markets. good luck, guys.
later,
fred

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:21 PM »
Thanks, Tigger! Now, if I can just track down some smelt, we'll try 'er again. Tried to find some smelt last week, but had no luck. You must not think the bluegill and perch will work, eh?

They will work but in my opinion not nearly as well .
Smelt have a lot more oil in them . As Fred said look in an oriental market for the smelt or smelt sized sardines they work well too . If I remember correctly some oriental stores call the smelt ..sea bass . They are also known as candlefish in some parts .

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:27 PM »
We can get bags of frozen smelt at every grocery store in Valentine.  If you dont find any where your at i would think your local Grocier could order them if you just asked them to. 

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2007, 09:52 PM »
We can get bags of frozen smelt at every grocery store in Valentine.  If you dont find any where your at i would think your local Grocier could order them if you just asked them to. 

The dressed smelt usually found in the supermarket will work but not nearly as well !
I had to find this out the hard way .
Went on a four day trip with some friends and all I had were dressed smelt . My crew was catching fish for two and a half days before I finally broke and tried their whole smelt .
That's when I finally started to catch some fish .
Their whole smelt was catching fish 4 to 1 to my dressed smelt , same set up and same method's .

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2007, 10:46 PM »
Thanks a million, guys. Didn't see any smelt at Wal-Mart the other day, but maybe Safeway will have it. I thought it might be available online somewhere, but I've done a few searches and haven't found much.

Offline LtlPhl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2007, 10:52 PM »
I personally am a perchjerker(panfisherman)but,my dad was a flag watcher(pikeman).He used to buy whole smelt in bags at the grocery store here in town.I haven't looked since he passed away but I can check and if we can get it I will try to figure out how to get some to you.

There is no such thing as a bad day fishing

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It must be that time again!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:28 AM »
I tell people this every year, and they have a hard time believing it, but I'll tell you guys and you can try it if you wish.  For the last two seasons, we have had the best luck, hands down, using hot dogs.  Yes, you read that right, hot dogs.  I take about 1/3 of a piece of hot dog and put it on a quick strike rig under a tip up.  I also have (and continue) to use smelt, as well as live suckers, shiners, small gills and perch.  Hot dogs out fish them all for norhterns.  Two years ago we heard about it on Iceshanty.com, on one of the other threads like in MN or WI or someplace. We tried it even though we thought it was a joke.  Believe me, it is no joke.  I had some guys on the old NGPC forum give me a lot of crap about it last year, and some said they tried it and it didn't work.  It works for me, that's all I can say.  Best thing is you can get them anywhere (even at a convenience store if you forget to bring them with), they don't die, and last forever.  Give it a try.  Other than that, I agree with everything else that has been said here as far as where and how to fish for them.  Good luck!

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:21 AM »
.. we have had the best luck, hands down, using hot dogs.  Yes, you read that right, hot dogs ...

Really, hot dogs??? Do they prefer them on a bun with ketchup, mustard and relish? I've got some sauerkraut in the fridge for those Pike of German descent. Just kidding! Since I'm desperate, I might just give that a go. Thanks for the great tip! I'm excited to try it.

He used to buy whole smelt in bags at the grocery store here in town.I haven't looked since he passed away but I can check and if we can get it I will try to figure out how to get some to you.

Thanks a million for that offer. Where do you live?

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:53 AM »
The smelt we get here are in bags and seem to ge whole to me.  How are they dressed?  The bait shops here sell the same thing the grocery stores do.  Havnt bought any in a couple of years as weve found a good place to catch our own creek chubs and little suckers to.  Might have to try the hotdog when noones looking.  If it works like you say I may keep it a secret for a while and rub it in to the guys.  IF not maybe then I wont get laughed ot too hard huh.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline alliance bait-man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2007, 04:33 PM »
Hi hawgerdawger I'am in Alliance and have a small bait shop and have smelt and other baits if ever get down this way. 519 hudson ave. just 3 blocks north of taco johns. 308-762-7464  e-mail [email protected]

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2007, 04:58 PM »
Bob and Irene have the best bait shop in the west!  Givem all your business!

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2007, 05:06 PM »
Really, hot dogs??? Do they prefer them on a bun with ketchup, mustard and relish? I've got some sauerkraut in the fridge for those Pike of German descent. Just kidding! Since I'm desperate, I might just give that a go. Thanks for the great tip! I'm excited to try it.

Thanks a million for that offer. Where do you live?

DESPERATE!?!?!  C'mon dude!  I can't tell you how many guys have mooched hot dogs off of me, shortly after giving me a big pile of crap about using them!  I have caught a 16lb northern and a nearly 7lb LMB on hot dogs, and countless other northerns.  I will continue to take crap for it, I will continue to post how great they are, and I will continue to kick butt with them!!  I actually think they work similar to the dead smelt--it's the smell and the oil that turns them on.  I have only used them in the winter--in the summer I am too busy with walleyes.  And all I ever use for those is a blue and white jig with half a crawler (and on rare occasions I troll a crawler harness).

Oh, by the way, the other thing that people think I am crazy for--I use a 6" auger.  Big northerns have no problem sliming their way through a 6" hole!

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2007, 05:23 PM »
DESPERATE!?!?!  C'mon dude!  I can't tell you how many guys have mooched hot dogs off of me, shortly after giving me a big pile of crap about using them!  I have caught a 16lb northern and a nearly 7lb LMB on hot dogs, and countless other northerns.  I will continue to take crap for it, I will continue to post how great they are, and I will continue to kick butt with them!!  I actually think they work similar to the dead smelt--it's the smell and the oil that turns them on.  I have only used them in the winter--in the summer I am too busy with walleyes.  And all I ever use for those is a blue and white jig with half a crawler (and on rare occasions I troll a crawler harness).

Oh, by the way, the other thing that people think I am crazy for--I use a 6" auger.  Big northerns have no problem sliming their way through a 6" hole!

I love your style, R.J.! (Or, are you really Oscar Meyer?) Go get 'em!!! I really am excited to try it!

I believe you about the 6-inch hole, too. I will consider it a grand day when I catch a fish too large for my 8-inch hole.

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2007, 05:27 PM »
Hi hawgerdawger I'am in Alliance and have a small bait shop and have smelt and other baits if ever get down this way. 519 hudson ave. just 3 blocks north of taco johns. 308-762-7464  e-mail [email protected]

Thanks, Bob! I'll be stopping by when I get that way. You need to open a branch office in Chadron -- Wal-Mart finally got some waxies and I see Murd's Pit Stop is selling minnows now. Thank goodness! The bait shop closed last year, so it's been slim pickins. Checked Safeway for smelt today and didn't find any.

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:03 AM »
I love your style, R.J.! (Or, are you really Oscar Meyer?) Go get 'em!!! I really am excited to try it!

I believe you about the 6-inch hole, too. I will consider it a grand day when I catch a fish too large for my 8-inch hole.

No man, I'm "Ball Park Frank"!  And I plump when you cook me!!

I hope you catch something with them.  I will be using them this weekend on Box Butte.  Hopefully the weather wont be too mean.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:01 AM »
Good luck over at Box Butte  RJ     Ive always wanted to try things over that way.

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2007, 01:05 PM »
Thanks Hardwater.  I'll let you guys know how we did!

Hope everybody has a great weekend of fishing!!

Offline huntnfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:34 AM »
No deeper than ten feet of water use a smelt about four to six inches off the bottom .
No weights on you line either just pop the swim bladder and center one of the three hooks on a treble hook through the side of your bait so it floats straight .

Used this technique at Sherman Reservoir in late Nov, before the ice. Just hung it under a bobber, and caught fish for hours.

Box Butte, on the right day, will definitely keep you busy.  Try right along the creek bed, running through the middle. You will find a little of everything.

Offline R.J.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:24 PM »
Fished at Box Butte, caught several medium sized pike on suckers and hot dogs, and one large pike on a sucker.  No panfish, unfortunately.  Had a great day there, but it was cold.

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:35 PM »
Thanks for the report, R.J.

"Frankly speaking," I'm thinking about driving out there again tomorrow and trying some of that special bait of yours. Trying to decide between there, Smith and Whitney. Decisions, decisions.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2007, 04:44 PM »
was wondering if anyone has ice reports for Box Butte.  Have to go up to Chadron on Thursday and Friday and thinking about heading down to box butte for a little fishing trip. 
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2007, 02:05 PM »
ANyone got ice reports for box butte, with this clold weather lately I would think there is fishable ice.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2007, 05:23 PM »
I'm heading out to Charon Next week and would also like to know the ice conditions.  I'll get on the horn and see if any of my friends have been out yet and let you know.
Sorny

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2007, 08:54 PM »
Went out today at the Butte, ice was around 5 inches thick, good and solid.  Fishing was alright with one Pike 35 inches. caught toward west end of lake.  Also fished Whitney lake with no luck but good ice.  The ice is here to stay boys.  FISH ON

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2007, 08:59 PM »
cool.  I'll be heading out there next Wednesday and staying until Saturday or sunday.  I will plan on fishing while I'm there.  did you get into any panfish at the Butte?  How thick was the ice on Whitney, that lake is real hit or miss the fishing is either lights out or prety slow.
Sorny

Offline lethalwepon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:51 AM »
Baiter,
Have you been out to smith yet? Just wondering how the ice is?

Lethal

Offline lethalwepon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:48 PM »
Does anyone know how is the ice at box butte after this warm spell?
Thinking about going out this weekend but don't want to take the 2 1/2 hour drive if the ice is bad

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.