Author Topic: Ice shack mods  (Read 25064 times)

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice shack mods
« Reply #60 on: Oct 03, 2014, 02:13 PM »

setter are good dog so are spaniels like the springers we use to have cocker spaniels  when i was a kid that got put down cause of old age/ health.  that was the reason we pick up the English setter so she did not get put down  she was on her last legs when they found here living out side owner neglect.lost a eye some were down the way? weather it was from living in the woods or some one shot her with a bb gun or the net the dog catcher uses etc.. etc... we don't know how she lost the eye.   then the county worker for the humane society said she would never be a normal dog again or act like a normal dog.  boy were they wrong she is very affectionate  to me and the rest of my family great dog none the less... that why they call them mans best friend and vise versa...   by the way your dogs look well cared for and loved thanks for sharing the photo....

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Oct 05, 2014, 07:14 PM »
When I was a kid my Dad always had English Setters for pets, field trials, and hunting.  They were the some of the best and gentlest dogs we've ever had, you didn't even need a leash with them because they'd walk right next to you and if you stopped they'd sit right next to you and wait for you to start walking.  They were the best, when I wasn't outside with them they'd lay on the floor and watch tv with me and more times than not be my pillow. 

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Oct 05, 2014, 07:32 PM »
I built a battery box with digital volt meter, USB's, and 12v posts to attach leads to.   Added LED tape to both by Kodiac and Explorer.    Great light.    Two otter rod holders in each.   Reflectix in both but might reduce to ceiling only.  When folded up it takes 2/3 the sled space.   Looks and works great. 

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Oct 05, 2014, 07:55 PM »
If I can come across an old 8 foot bed liner I would like to make a floor for my clam summit shelter, I picked up a fan light combo last year after the ice season was over hope it works to help with the condensation that we get once in a while

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Oct 08, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Version 1.0

Needs a little refining, going to make another with a couple updates.

For those that have built storage lockers into their huts, under seat storage, rod lock boxes, etc...how much weight did it add?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Oct 08, 2014, 11:38 PM »
Version 1.0

For those that have built storage lockers into their huts, under seat storage, rod lock boxes, etc...how much weight did it add?

version 1.0 look awesome none the less as for under seat storage  try fiber glass some one a while ago took and laid out in card board. they used tape to hold it to gather till they took the liquid resin or fiber glass resin found at wally worlds every ware then use the fiber glass stranded chop mat to thicken it up after the first layer dries then just carpet it when done if you search you will find the exact thread awesome idea if you ask me! and so is version 1.0!

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Oct 09, 2014, 06:18 AM »
Version 1.0

(Image removed from quote.)

Lookin' super good man!!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=244095.0

I think the guy said it weighed 9-10 lbs when finished

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Lookin' super good man!!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=244095.0

I think the guy said it weighed 9-10 lbs when finished

thank you sir i am glad you found it that is a awesome idea for sure!

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #68 on: Oct 09, 2014, 06:44 PM »
I love tricking out my ice sleds!  Got a new otter cottage ordered so looking forward to some fabrication time on it.  My fav rod holders are otters but liking the looks of jthods design! Very nice!  I'll post some pics after I get it tricked out
]

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Oct 09, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Version 1.0

Look great.  Nice addition.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Oct 10, 2014, 12:38 AM »
Visualizing with cardboard:

Started framing.  Will do some weigh reducing when I get the frame together, shaving a bit off that 2x4 mainly.

The two panels the seats attach to hinge open towad the center of the hut, and the center will hinge toward the rear.  The center will hold the battery, switches, and cup holders.  Under seat storage should hold all the cooking gear and heater/stove on one side, leaving the other for rope, anchors, auger gas, etc.

The back will either be single or double doors the open toward the front, and will be big enough the hold the rod cases, and everything else.

I plan on getting some outdoor carpet to cover everything this weekend

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Oct 12, 2014, 11:24 PM »
Started carpeting tonight.

Offline bluefin75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:34 PM »
looking good jthod im thinking about doing something similar to my quickflip 2. im also upgrading the tub on mine to a otter sport the original tub has took quite the beating. looking forward to seeing it finished.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:59 PM »
Started carpeting tonight.

that is a awesome set up is it meant to slide back and forth? or is it steady mounted? thinking of doing the same to mine .. that's why i asked? just trying to think about it ahead of time. of why it was meant to slide under seat storage?etc... etc.. by the way awesome job on it so far...     

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Oct 13, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Jthod will the seats be in the way when you open up the doors underneath them? Looks great any thing to make your time on the ice more enjoyable.  I found out that I have a few holes in the bottem of my sled anyone got any suggestions on how to fix it without buying a new tub? Thinking maybe white flex seal then adding hyfax to it.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Oct 13, 2014, 11:51 PM »
The seats are mounted to the original swivels, and are held to lids with a aluminum rail that they slide in.

All the way slid apart:

Slid together:

Folded down into a bench, room for three:

Carpet finished on one door:

One concern I have is the hight of the seats. They are about 2" lower they were originally.  I wanted them lower, but it may be a bit too low.  Should be an easy fix if they are anyways.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:10 AM »
Jthod will the seats be in the way when you open up the doors underneath them? Looks great any thing to make your time on the ice more enjoyable.  I found out that I have a few holes in the bottem of my sled anyone got any suggestions on how to fix it without buying a new tub? Thinking maybe white flex seal then adding hyfax to it.

sem paint systems and i think 3m make a plastic bumper repair kit it sold in a calk tube that mixes together threw mixing tips all you do is rough up the area then squeeze it on the area let harden up and sand smooth if you want to sand it smooth the thicker you leave it the better off it will be.. i think the calk gun the tube of caulk and the tip are around $100 but is the best repair you could ever do... if you know any one in a high school or college auto body shop  they should be able to do it for you cheap... i found the stuff sold at tcpglobal.com so search around also painter supply here in michigan has it too...  there maybe different places around you ?? or plastic welding?? i will see if tcp has it i will post it for you.. 

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:25 AM »
This is the stuff.  I am sure there is other brand and cheaper  so look around. If your in college or high school there should be a automotive department that can help you out? this is the list of stuff you need to do it if your still in high school or at college the auto motive service class should be able to help you out...

http://www.tcpglobal.com/MMM-4240_2.html?sc=114&category=1932005#.VDzNn2ddWSo

http://www.tcpglobal.com/MMM-8571.html#.VDzOuWddWSo

http://www.tcpglobal.com/MMM-8193.html#.VDzO_WddWSo

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:44 PM »
The seats are mounted to the original swivels, and are held to lids with a aluminum rail that they slide in.

All the way slid apart:

Slid together:

Folded down into a bench, room for three:

Carpet finished on one door:

One concern I have is the hight of the seats. They are about 2" lower they were originally.  I wanted them lower, but it may be a bit too low.  Should be an easy fix if they are anyways.

Great mods.  The seat to bench is a great idea.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Oct 14, 2014, 11:59 PM »
My dad likes napping, and I like to cook for everyone, so making the most of the space was important.

Got it mostly done tonight. Have lights, cup holders, and a few other things to do yet.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Oct 15, 2014, 12:13 AM »

Offline bluefin75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Oct 15, 2014, 09:25 PM »
looks good glad to see the finished product. id say you will enjoy it much better with being organized

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Oct 16, 2014, 06:23 AM »
Fabrication nation bro! Turned out awesome jthod, looks very clean and professional!

I am always trying to do a better job at organizing....but once the bite turns on, it seems like crap is all over the place and not there when I need it

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Thanks for all the thumbs up, I'm really pleased with how it came out.  now I just need some ice!

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #84 on: Oct 17, 2014, 10:03 PM »
I need some suggestions on how to mount my batteries for my lights they're just sliding around my shack now

Com'on art.  Just get the battery tray.  Only way to go , got one in both huts

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Oct 17, 2014, 10:21 PM »
I figured it out used a ammo can and mounted my switches to the box I'm ready to hit the hard water

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Oct 17, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Building>buying.

Offline WalleyewarriorII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get busy living or get busy dying!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #87 on: Oct 22, 2014, 12:20 PM »

Where did you buy the switch panel from?

Finally got my power box wired up and clam light stick installed in my Nanook (with a lot of help from my good buddy GrabLifeByTheGills). I am planning on adding a second 12v battery to the box, another cigarette lighter port, and a couple more LEDs inside the sled, but it turned out way better than I had envisioned.

I'm still waiting on my Otter rod holders and Engel bait cooler, but should be close to being ready for the ice!

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Oct 24, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Getting close on the center compartment.  I'm going to stop where I'm at until I get the lights and I can configure the wiring and switches into the smaller removable lid.

I don't know that I will always have three batteries, but they are the same as my Vex and my MarCum Camera, so it will be nice to have at least one spare. 

I ordered 2 36" white LED strips and 2 36" UV blacklight strips, along with a few flush mount lighted LED switches.

links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231234288662?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281454899158?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&var=580493146193&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271590898082?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.