Poll

Statewide panfish limit of 10 fish with only one bluegill over 9", one perch over 12" and one crappie over 13".

YES (For)
29 (53.7%)
NO (Opposed)
25 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Nebraska Length Limit Poll  (Read 6388 times)

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Nebraska Length Limit Poll
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Why not trust Game and Parks to do their job! They post lenght limits when need be.  I dont understand what the crying is about. I can go to Wagontrain and catch nice gills all day long. Head to Summit once a year and find nice crappie where theyre said to be gone! Lets enforce the regs we have now before wanting to add more. We already cut limit from 25-15. I rather like 15.  And if you fill water over the fish in a ziplock, they will never burn.  I seldom keep fish, but am tired of the C&R pressure.  Tired of people being flamed for doing nothing wrong!
Well said!
Ice fishing is a subculture, one wouldn't understand until they experienced it...

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2013, 11:15 PM »
Why not trust Game and Parks to do their job! They post lenght limits when need be.  I dont understand what the crying is about. I can go to Wagontrain and catch nice gills all day long. Head to Summit once a year and find nice crappie where theyre said to be gone! Lets enforce the regs we have now before wanting to add more. We already cut limit from 25-15. I rather like 15.  And if you fill water over the fish in a ziplock, they will never freezer burn.  I seldom keep fish, but am tired of the C&R pressure.  Tired of people being flamed for doing nothing wrong!

Really?  Do you suppose at the last budget meeting for any one of the divisions of the NGPC they were asked how many fish were harvested in any given slot for specific lakes, or do you suppose they had to justify their decisions monetarily?  This is a serious question.

If you think that decisions regarding fish and game in ANY state are based on the resource as compared to how to maximize the monies generated from said resources, you are kidding yourself.

The reason I included a picture of a high dollar choice of fishing gear is because those are the very people that say, 'I would pay another $20 to fish high quality trophy lakes'.  Well, guess what?  The extra $20 isn't a big deal, but the $100 in gas, bait, licenses, food, etc is a big deal.

I don't have the luxury of taking my $300 case of rods 500 miles away to fish a 'trophy' fishery.  I just want to take my kid fishing and keep a few to eat every once in a while without anyone looking down their nose at me.

I'm done now. 

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:30 AM »
Really?  Do you suppose at the last budget meeting for any one of the divisions of the NGPC they were asked how many fish were harvested in any given slot for specific lakes, or do you suppose they had to justify their decisions monetarily?  This is a serious question.

If you think that decisions regarding fish and game in ANY state are based on the resource as compared to how to maximize the monies generated from said resources, you are kidding yourself.

Sorry, again I am calling BALONEY on this one.

Here is our mission statement:

"The mission of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is stewardship of the state's fish, wildlife, park, and outdoor recreation resources in the best long-term interests of the people and those resources.

To accomplish that purpose, the Commission plans and implements its policies and programs efficiently and objectively; maintains a rich and diverse environment in Nebraska's lands and waters; provides outdoor recreation opportunities; manages wildlife resources for the maximum benefit of the people; and attempts to help Nebraskans appreciate their role in the natural world."

Fisheries management in Nebraska is paid for entirely by license sales and by excise taxes collected from the sales of fishing and boating equipment.  We have fixed budgets, limited budgets, and have to be fiscally responsible.  There ain't no deficit spending or debts here.  Yes, there are limitations to what we can accomplish for our fisheries resources because of a lack of money, but we do NOT manage fish and wildlife resources just so we can make money off of them.  None of us working as fisheries biologists are doing it for the money, we are doing it because it is our passion and we deeply care about our fisheries resources.  If we had unlimited funds we could do even more, but we all know that reality is there are going to be certain budget constraints, we are going to have to do "more with less" (have heard that often in recent years), and we will continue to do our best.

We have tried to increase our funding in recent years by reversing the long-term declines in fishing participation and fishing license sales (a nation-wide decline).  We are involved in recruitment and retention efforts on many levels.  But one of the best ways I know to get more people fishing, to sell more permits and sell more fishing equipment, is by being good stewards of our fisheries resources and making the fishing as available and as good as it can be.  That is what we are trying to do, and in providing that we will continue to have the funding to take care of those resources in the future.

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes//

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:30 PM »

"The mission of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is stewardship of the state's fish, wildlife, park, and outdoor recreation resources in the best long-term interests of the people and those resources.

To accomplish that purpose, the Commission plans and implements its policies and programs efficiently and objectively; maintains a rich and diverse environment in Nebraska's lands and waters; provides outdoor recreation opportunities; manages wildlife resources for the maximum benefit of the people; and attempts to help Nebraskans appreciate their role in the natural world."

Fisheries management in Nebraska is paid for entirely by license sales and by excise taxes collected from the sales of fishing and boating equipment.  We have fixed budgets, limited budgets, and have to be fiscally responsible.  There ain't no deficit spending or debts here.  Yes, there are limitations to what we can accomplish for our fisheries resources because of a lack of money, but we do NOT manage fish and wildlife resources just so we can make money off of them.  None of us working as fisheries biologists are doing it for the money, we are doing it because it is our passion and we deeply care about our fisheries resources.  If we had unlimited funds we could do even more, but we all know that reality is there are going to be certain budget constraints, we are going to have to do "more with less" (have heard that often in recent years), and we will continue to do our best.

We have tried to increase our funding in recent years by reversing the long-term declines in fishing participation and fishing license sales (a nation-wide decline).  We are involved in recruitment and retention efforts on many levels.  But one of the best ways I know to get more people fishing, to sell more permits and sell more fishing equipment, is by being good stewards of our fisheries resources and making the fishing as available and as good as it can be.  That is what we are trying to do, and in providing that we will continue to have the funding to take care of those resources in the future.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

::)   ;)

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:18 PM »

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

I am so glad you're on here now.  Cuts alot of BS.  Instead of just talking about G&P, we can talk to them. 

Offline MA Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Apr 05, 2013, 02:23 AM »
There are more than a few lakes in this state the could easily be trophy Gill Lakes.  Some State and some Federal lakes.  I believe a couple lakes have been set aside by the state to be total catch and release trophy lakes.  Wouldn't it be great if some of the refuge lakes (FEDS) were turned into bluegill trophy lakes?  Right now they get pounded every year through the ice.  Giant gills fill buckets every day.  Why not put a 9" limit on Pelican and a few other gill lakes up there?  Of course this is the Feds area so who knows.  I know of a central NE lake capable of producing refuge quality gills but it will never happen since it gets hammered year after year.  I would love to see some refuge lakes try this out for a few years.  It could be amazing if enforced. 

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Sep 29, 2013, 06:54 PM »
yes
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #37 on: Oct 21, 2013, 04:57 AM »
Lets open this back up and see what happens.....

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #38 on: Oct 21, 2013, 07:24 AM »
Sounds good and thanks Hoosier
]

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #39 on: Oct 21, 2013, 11:36 AM »
I'm still in favor.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Oct 23, 2013, 08:06 AM »
When panfish limits went from 30 to 15 a day a few years ago, people had a fit. Poachers still take too many fish. And it isn't the immigrant family that's doing it. I fish nearly every day, and when I see the same half dozen old farmers bring home a five gallon bucket of gills or crappie every time out "because it's their right" I know why the fish never get bigger than 6 or 7 inches. Habitat improvement and education will do more to improve our fishing than complex limits.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Oct 24, 2013, 02:01 PM »
When panfish limits went from 30 to 15 a day a few years ago, people had a fit. Poachers still take too many fish. And it isn't the immigrant family that's doing it. I fish nearly every day, and when I see the same half dozen old farmers bring home a five gallon bucket of gills or crappie every time out "because it's their right" I know why the fish never get bigger than 6 or 7 inches. Habitat improvement and education will do more to improve our fishing than complex limits.

So, who's going to educate the "same half dozen old farmers"?

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:39 AM »
I would like to see the limit lowered to 10.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 15, 2013, 09:12 PM »
I would be more comfortable implementing spanish regulation signs on public waters... before anyone gets offended or calls me a racist, Im speaking from experience.  I live and patrol an area with a heavy hispanic/mexican population, a lot of who fish.  Now this isn't necessarily ice fishing, but I feel our fish populations would be a lot better off if our non english speaking fishermen knew the regulations, or were given a chance to learn the regulations.   Not really length limit related, but something that needs to be addressed... Signs in spanish won't break the bank NGPC

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 15, 2013, 09:43 PM »
I would be more comfortable implementing spanish regulation signs on public waters... before anyone gets offended or calls me a racist, Im speaking from experience.  I live and patrol an area with a heavy hispanic/mexican population, a lot of who fish.  Now this isn't necessarily ice fishing, but I feel our fish populations would be a lot better off if our non english speaking fishermen knew the regulations, or were given a chance to learn the regulations.   Not really length limit related, but something that needs to be addressed... Signs in spanish won't break the bank NGPC

That is part of what is wrong. They need to LEARN English. Pandering will not help.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:47 PM »
eepks, you cannot force someone to learn english when its not the official language, while its the most used language, they're not forced to learn it...  is it frustrating?  yes... would it be easier and more efficient to put out signs in spanish?  (or in my case, learn spanish for law enforcement)... yes

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:52 PM »
So, who's going to educate the "same half dozen old farmers"?

Daryl B.

How about hire more game wardens in the more populated areas of eastern Nebraska?  Deputy Sheriff's shouldn't get calls on their personal cell phones while on vacation by concerned fisherman should they?

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:37 PM »
eepks, you cannot force someone to learn english when its not the official language, while its the most used language, they're not forced to learn it...  is it frustrating?  yes... would it be easier and more efficient to put out signs in spanish?  (or in my case, learn spanish for law enforcement)... yes
So besides signs you want LEO to learn Spanish? You sir ARE the problem.

If caught, no excuse, they get the ticket. I bet they learn English real fast.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:19 AM »
I am LEO and before you put your foot in your mouth, most of us in the profession are not as close minded as you, and wish we knew Spanish.  Being an adult is adapting to the world around you.... not demanding the world change for you.  To your other point, regardless if they understand the regulations, ignorance in the law is not an excuse to violate it, and if they do, they're issued a citation.... (from my experience, they tend to forget english when we show up)

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for chiming in. . .
« Reply #49 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:59 AM »
Some (most?) of us do enjoy hearing a LEO's perspective on enforcement, its frustrations, possible solutions, and lots of other issues.

I also agree that life would be simpler if everyone in the U.S. spoke and understood English, but I'm afraid the days of "love it or leave it" have expired.

"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline JOEFISH ICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 23, 2013, 01:01 AM »
I agree with eyewinder!!!!!  ;D
Dirty Midwest fishing

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #51 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Enough guys are commenting on this one it should stay near the top. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Offline big12hurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 03, 2014, 04:40 PM »
Don't some lakes need some harvest of panfish.  For instance mesketine or the Fremont middle school lake.  They are just loaded with stunted immature gills how can you get rid of them without total killing the lake.  I just don't see the point of these limits if they will not be enforced.  I like the big fish rules let them go but if I want a bucket of eight inch gills I paid for my license just like you did so I should be able to take that said bucket home and make fish tacos.  The limits where cut in half for a reason let them take there toll it isn't going to change a lake in a year or two.  If lakes need special regs put it on certain lakes, but don't expect me to quit eating panfish because that's not gonna happen.
If hell freezes over I"ll be fishin.

Offline duckhunter6963

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 04, 2014, 02:39 PM »
no

Offline big daddy d

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 05, 2014, 04:38 PM »
no

Offline ice fish71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:20 AM »
NO

Offline Pepperguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:36 AM »
I think we have this control already in place.  It's called possession limits.  Perhaps if these fellows that fish everyday had their freezers checked part of the problem would go away. 

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 06, 2014, 02:14 PM »
I think we have this control already in place.  It's called possession limits.  Perhaps if these fellows that fish everyday had their freezers checked part of the problem would go away.

X2

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 06, 2014, 04:45 PM »

While I don't support some of their tactics, the G&F does this in Wyoming and it is effective. I've had my freezer checked in Wyoming and I know a number of guys that have as well.  If the same guy is going to the same lake and taking a limit every day, he should probably be made aware... and nothing like a few spot checks to spread the word that it really isn't a free for all.
If you get right down to it, there aren't too many people who even have the time to abuse these small sandhill lakes. It's a long drive to get there for most folks.  Maybe it's time to police them a bit...?

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 07, 2014, 04:33 PM »
Don't some lakes need some harvest of panfish.  For instance mesketine or the Fremont middle school lake.  They are just loaded with stunted immature gills how can you get rid of them without total killing the lake.  I just don't see the point of these limits if they will not be enforced.  I like the big fish rules let them go but if I want a bucket of eight inch gills I paid for my license just like you did so I should be able to take that said bucket home and make fish tacos.  The limits where cut in half for a reason let them take there toll it isn't going to change a lake in a year or two.  If lakes need special regs put it on certain lakes, but don't expect me to quit eating panfish because that's not gonna happen.

How do you know those panfish were stunted?  Did you age them?

I have seen way more panfish populations in Nebraska that were suffering from over-harvest than populations that were "stunted".

Keep in mind that panfish can reproduce at very small sizes and very young ages; if you want to prevent "stunting" you need to be harvesting panfish way smaller than you want to clean.

http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/2010/01/stunted/

http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/2013/01/pigs-ice/

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.