Author Topic: Valentine NWR Lakes  (Read 11206 times)

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
Re: Valentine NWR Lakes
« Reply #30 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:16 AM »
I've been fishing the refuge since the 80s, and one of the first years (appr 85?) we got there about sunup, and there were already 50 vehicle sitting in the parking lot, with plates from every state bordering as well as Ne. Can't even imagine the number of gills over 1 lb I've caught, and I was lucky enough to see a 2 lb 13 oz gill one day. I've missed the last couple years, and will agree with most that the fishing success has diminished, but the last trip up there, we caught 12 - 13 inch perch, and numerous 1 lb gills, along with pike just as we've done every year we've traveled up there. Caught fish on Dewey, Pelican, Watts, Hackberry, Duck, and West Long. It's been a great fishery, and it's seen pressure, as long as I know. I've never caught a carp in all those years, but I've only fished on the ice, if that makes a difference. It would be hard to imagine that there aren't any in there? I'm for whatever works, and in what is close to 30 years now, seems as though it's been working. Actually enjoy hearing how poor the fishing is up there, because that means empty parking lots!
Herm Krepel

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:19 AM »
Actually enjoy hearing how poor the fishing is up there, because that means empty parking lots!

x2

Offline jscott

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:42 AM »
The thought of C & R or slot limits is putting a smile on my face.  :) :) I've been to the refuge lakes 8 times this winter.  I go to get away from work, phones and computers.  I like to catch big fish.  I don't care to bring any home to eat.  I prefer the taste of beef.  I enjoy supporting our ranchers and farmers.  I was there from first ice and there 1 week ago.  During 5 of those trips I witnessed the same group of people (5 or 6)  catching their limits of bluegill once or twice a day.  I think that we are in a sad state of affairs if that is our attitude toward such a precious fishing resource.  I really question their respect and integrity towards the sport of fishing.  I've fished the refuge lakes for the past 45 years.  My fishing has been as good as ever during the past 3 years.  It seems to me that the more fish I release the more I catch.  A successful fishing trip isn't measured by numbers as much as by the quality of just one good fish.  Pictures last a lifetime.  Great discussion here.  I like what I'm hearing.

jscott
"Every dollar you spend hunting and fishing saves two in medical bills."  -- Gene O'Brien

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 05, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Wow, again I am amazed and saddened.  I suppose I should just let some things go, but there are more things that need to be said.  So, let me try, again . . . .

More B.S from the state and feds that try to run things. I have fished on the Valentine refuge for 45 yrs and I  know a lot of GP people and feds that work up there and thru the years. I was the on pelican when SDSU was shocking bluegills to take back to there state10 or 12 yrs ago.I was on hackberry when 4 yrs ago when the state was shocking fish to put in blue lake and was told by the bioligists that thats where the were going.What about the dumb ass fed biologistyears ago that put the 28 inch and under limit on pike and he was gone the next year.Before all the lakes up there had a huge amount of trophy pike now you are lucky to see one.Drought my ass they the feds purposly pulled the boards this fall  to drain those lakes I was there this weekend and they finally put some boards in they are 2 o 3 short from the top but Dewey at the east end is a pathitic mud hole at best.Why cut all the trees down?

You can call me a liar.  You would not be the first and I don't care.  All I got to say is BALONEY!

I have fished the Valentine refuge lakes for darned near as long as you claim, have worked for the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission for going on 25 years and have been familiar with the South Dakota State University research conducted on our Nebraska sandhill lakes since it started. 

There have been no bluegills shocked from the refuge lakes and taken back to South Dakota.

We did renovate Hackberry back in 2004 and some fish may have been salvaged from there prior to that chemical renovation.  However none of those fish went to Blue Lake, we did not own Blue Lake at that time and it was not until 2008 when it was renovated and re-stocked.

The 28-inch maximum length limit on northern pike on the Valentine NWR has been in effect for going on 20 years now.  If it was such a "dumb ass" idea it would have been removed a long time ago.  That regulation has been in place because some of the SDSU research has shown that northern pike can be effective at controlling carp numbers.  That control occurs when the carp are less than 1-year of age, but even then because the carp grow so rapidly, relatively large pike, fish 28 inches and larger, are needed to eat those young carp.  Research has also indicated that most of that carp predation occurs in the fall and under the ice.

I already told you the story about water levels on the Valentine refuge this year.  Again, call me a liar. I don't care.

Likewise, I told you that I know nothing about wildlife or land management on the refuge, you contact the refuge staff and ask them why they are removing the trees.  I will tell you though, and you can go off on this too, that they have their reasons, might not be good enough for you, but they have their reasons.

Daryl since you work at the NE GP what is going to happen to big Alkali are the cabins coming out who is going to run it now that Andy is gone? To me the state has screwed up every good  lake in this state. You shock fish during the spawn that has to have an effect on them. You move fish from great fisheries to lakes back east. The state leases lakes stocks them then advertises them to be over run and then the land owners shut them down. Way to run the game and parks. All it takes is common sense not what taught in college.I can't wait to see how the will continue to mess up Big Mac.

The camp at Big Alkali has always been run by private individuals.  I do not know who might be operating it now.  If there needs to be a new owner/operator spread the word, perhaps someone out there would take it on.

The only "shocking" of fish during the spawn that I can think of would be some collection of male walleyes while we are collecting walleye eggs that we need for stocking walleyes around the state.  That shocking has no impact on the walleye populations in the waters in which we collect those fish, and even if it did, we stock walleyes back into all of those waters.  Other than that, we do hardly any sampling of any species of fish with any gear while those fish are actively spawning.

The only moving of fish we do would be what I have already mentioned--the movement of some fish salvaged from waters that are to be renovated.  When that is done we do not haul those fish any farther than we have to.  There are no fish that are hauled from "out west", back "east".  Well that is no fish are hauled from "out west" to "back east" unless you count the millions of fish from Nebraska State Fish Hatcheries that are transported and stocked all around the state.

I have always said that in Nebraska we need every bit of water possible to be available for our anglers to fish.  We have and will continue to take advantage of opportunities to acquire ownership or access to new waters and develop quality fisheries on those waters.  Yes, we will advertise those opportunities because we work for, are paid by, ALL Nebraska anglers.  It would not be right for us to develop new fisheries on waters and then let only a few select anglers like yourself know about them.  In this day and age, that is a moot point because with the internet and cell phones there are no secrets anyway.  If there is a hot bite, people will be there.  "Build it, and they will come"--Field of Dreams.

I will agree with you, successful fisheries management takes a lot of common sense as well as some college edumacation.  Fortunately, we have a whole bunch of fisheries professionals in Nebraska that have a huge dose of both.  Nevertheless, I look forward to hearing from you how we can keep from messing up McConaughy.  Do you know some way to guarantee lots of water for McConaughy, every year?

sand billy in the 70s all the lakes were full of huge pike, bass , bluegill , perch, crappie with eyes as big as bottle caps , sacramento perch, trout, flatheads, bullheads , huge snapping turtles, bull frogs, ducks, geese ,swans,any bird that you can imagine. Most are long gone. But now the whole refuge is a mess because of a few people that think they know whats best for something they are not qualified to even be in charge of.They are always renovating the lakes up there to get rid of the carp and they never will it is a waste of money they did Hackberry and said all the carp and pike were gone last spring I caught a 12 pound pike and 2 carp over 15 on worms for perch. Pike and carp will survive most rotenone kills.So tak`e it for what you will but the state and feds are full of s$%# they have federal funds to spend and thats what they do they will never get rid of carp they were introduced into the American water ways by the govt in the 1800s to feed the masses and the are here to stay.

There actually is some truth in what you said.  Common carp were introduced by lots of well-meaning officials hundreds of years ago because they thought they could feed the masses.  That was the state of the science back at that time, but you are right, we will never be rid of common carp.  So, we will always have to manage them and one of the most effective means of doing that is periodic rotenone renovations.  Rotenone renovations on sandhill lakes can be a challenge because of all of the connected marshes, ditches, and wet meadows.  In addition, the high accumulation of organic material in some areas can impact the effectiveness of the chemical.  However, just because we may not eliminate every common carp from the face of the earth does not mean that a rotenone renovation has not been successful.  We can knock back carp numbers significantly and develop dozens of years of excellent water quality, habitat conditions and fishing by knocking the carp back from time to time.  That has been a successful management strategy and it will continue to be implemented.

Yep, proof of what I just said is the re-invasion of a few carp back into Hackberry Lake after it was last renovated.  We have had some periods of high water since that renovation and when water levels are high in the sandhills, there can be a lot of connections to wet meadows, marshes and other lakes and you better believe fish like common carp are on the move under those habitat conditions.  The pike in Hackberry now may have got there the same way, or we may have had some stinkin' bucket biologist illegally introduce those fish for us.  Regardless, current fish population sampling on Hackberry indicates that the pike and a healthy population of largemouth bass are keeping carp numbers in check for now.

I see some discussion of special regulations for the refuge lakes for the purpose of trophy panfish management.  Personally, as one pointy-headed fisheries biologist, I would be all for it and I have argued for that for a long time.  Just understand that I am just one biologist and that you are just one group of anglers.  We also hear from anglers who think the regulations we have now are too restrictive.  So, what do we do?  Most of the time we try to keep everyone happy and that is how we end up with regulations like we have now.  If you want that changed, speak up and keep speaking up.  It also does not hurt to keep spreading the word about catch & release/selective harvest and trying to change angler attitudes.  The less folks in the "catch all you can and can all you catch" crowd the more likely we can implement some special regulations and manage for more than just bucket-fulls of panfish going home in the back of people's pickups.

I am with ryno and phish on this one as well, I know that I have been told by biolagists that all lakes in nebraska are put and take fisheries, they simply are expected to stock them so that they can be harvested. If this is the case they are lacking doing so in some or one off the most desirable places to fish in our state . If you look at all the stocking reports it seems as though the more populated eastern half of the state receives most of this attention yet these guys from down there would prefer to drive five hours to come out here. There was an individule that renovated and or stocked several lakes out west here 5 to 7 years ago and are allready getting pounded out in a short period of time.
          I would like an explanation on these things here ,  are the vnwr lakes in a cycle where its not been there turn to be stocked ?
are there not enough fish to  put in these lakes ? are they simply spending to much money on needless things such as docks and boat ramps and smooth roads ? ( seems to me that we did just fine with out those things back in the day ) are we going to have nice bathrooms in the near future ?
If so who will be there to use these things if you cant catch fish there ?

Please feel free to comment Daryl,  or who ever may have the answer's to these questions .

Do any fish reproduce on their own? 

Again I do not know which "biolagists" told you that all lakes in Nebraska are put-and-take fisheries, but that is simply BALONEY.  Some species like largemouth bass and bluegill are very capable of maintaining their populations according to what the habitat can produce.  Other than introductory stockings, we do very little stocking of largemouth bass or bluegills on any waters in the state.  Likewise the northern pike on the Valentine Refuge lakes are very capable of maintaining their populations by natural reproduction and in fact the densities of northern pike in Nebraska's sandhill lakes have been documented to be as high or higher than any other pike waters on the planet.  So, we do not need to stock pike there either.  Yellow perch are also very capable of maintaining populations by natural reproduction and most of the perch stocking we do is introductory stocking into new waters or waters that have recently been renovated.  However, we occasionally stock yellow perch even into sandhill lakes, even Valentine Refuge lakes when we believe those populations might need a little boost.

We stocked millions of fish in Nebraska waters last year from one corner of the state to the other.  We are blessed to have five state fish hatcheries with crack staffs that most years produce every fish our fisheries managers request for stocking.  There is not one part of the state nor one water body that has been neglected nor overlooked because we do not have enough fish to stock.  Stocking strategies are determined according to management objectives based on water quality, water quantity, habitat conditions, fish communities, angler desires, some politics and a whole lot more.  If we need to stock more fish on the Valentine Refuge we will stock more fish.

Personally I would rather see a complete renovation of several refuge lakes than a one lake at a time approach that allows carp to travel between water bodies during periods of high water. Maybe the feds manipulating water levels might have something to do with preventing carp movement in the future.   That would be a good thing for all of us.

I wanted to use this quote last, because that is a great idea and one in which all of us stupid biologists at the Game & Parks and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service are working towards.  There has been recent research and surveys on the Valentine refuge in order to better understand water flow and connections between the lakes.  That information will be used to perhaps install some different water control structures and fish barriers.  That also should allow for more effective rotenone renovations and better management of common carp on the entire refuge.  It may take some time to implement all of that, but we are excited about the future.

I have ice-fished the Valentine refuge lakes since I can remember, http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/2010/03/home-water/, that has been a darned long time, going on 40 years now (yes, that means I am getting old).  I have seen lots of fantastic, unbelievable fishing in that time.  As is true with any fishery, any fish populations, have seen lots of ups and downs over those years too.  Sure, some years have been better than others, the years following a string of renovations back in the 80's were unbelievable.  Through it all, I have seen lots and lots of other anglers enjoying those resources.  Yes, some of you won't believe it, but even back in the day of poor roads and "no advertising" there were still hundreds of anglers who somehow knew about the great fishing and were there to take advantage of it.  Still are, and those waters are still some of the best ice-fishing in the entire country.  We will continue to manage those waters to produce that kind of quality fishing and I believe in the future we will have that and maybe even better!

That is unless we mess it all up. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Whatever,

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes//
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2013, 04:07 PM »
Nicely said "again" Daryl! 

JScott I'll give you my phone number, and you can call me, and I'll call the authorities when you see that going on out there.

Go back twice a day, and if they're there every time you're there, they're there more than that!

Herm Krepel

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2013, 04:22 PM »
The thought of C & R or slot limits is putting a smile on my face.  :) :) I've been to the refuge lakes 8 times this winter.  I go to get away from work, phones and computers.  I like to catch big fish.  I don't care to bring any home to eat.  I prefer the taste of beef.  I enjoy supporting our ranchers and farmers.  I was there from first ice and there 1 week ago.  During 5 of those trips I witnessed the same group of people (5 or 6)  catching their limits of bluegill once or twice a day.  I think that we are in a sad state of affairs if that is our attitude toward such a precious fishing resource.  I really question their respect and integrity towards the sport of fishing.  I've fished the refuge lakes for the past 45 years.  My fishing has been as good as ever during the past 3 years.  It seems to me that the more fish I release the more I catch.  A successful fishing trip isn't measured by numbers as much as by the quality of just one good fish.  Pictures last a lifetime.  Great discussion here.  I like what I'm hearing.

jscott

Good fist post. Keep it up! :)  :thumbsup:

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2013, 04:35 PM »
Like I mentioned before I really hope to see them switch a couple to trophy fisheries but before that happens I guess I will wish for heavy spring rains.

Offline eroland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:02 PM »
This has been one interesting and at the same time pretty sad subject.  I can add my list to those who have fished the Refuge lakes for decades.  Called Cork Thornton on the phone at his bait shop to get idea of where to go on Pelican to ice fish.  Said anywhere but try  the east end.  Had a riot catching my first master angler bluegill, perch, and pike.  And there were hundreds of fisherman on the lake.  All were catching fish.  I also remember some of the tougher years when the water quality and clarity was poor, which I believe was caused by those carp and some low water years due to drought.  I just can't believe so many people feel they have all the answers on what they think needs to be done.  We will all fish lakes that are productive.  Happened 40 years ago and now.  And then to blast our public officials with all the conjecture and innuendo as if what you are saying is based in fact.  The refuge lakes have low water levels due to removing boards.  Really?  Have you been to any of the other lakes like Frye, Smith, etc that also have low water levels.  We are in a drought.  Duh.  While we may not have the fishing the Dakotas and other states offer, it is like comparing apples to grapefruit.  We should feel privileged and I do with the type of fishing Nebraska has to offer.  Some tough days and some great days.  Heck, I even went to Devils Lake in ND last winter in February and did not do well on a guided trip.  Had better luck back home in these terribly managed state waters. Daryl, thanks for you passion in reading and responding to these forums. To you common sense experts, put your application in at G&P and bail us out of this mess. 

Offline Gobluefne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:20 PM »
How many other lakes on the refuge hold fish that we are not allowed to access?  There has to be a few.  I wonder what it would be like if they would open up some of those other lakes to fishing and shut down other lakes for a couple years to get the pressure off them.  Just cycle in and out lakes on a rotation.  Shut down Pelican for 3 years, bring a new lake in and go through the list cycling in and out lakes.  Just an idea.  I still love going up there, it's still great fishing, and you can't beat them time you GET to spend with your family doing things you love together.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:25 PM »
How many other lakes on the refuge hold fish that we are not allowed to access?  There has to be a few.  I wonder what it would be like if they would open up some of those other lakes to fishing and shut down other lakes for a couple years to get the pressure off them.  Just cycle in and out lakes on a rotation.  Shut down Pelican for 3 years, bring a new lake in and go through the list cycling in and out lakes.  Just an idea.  I still love going up there, it's still great fishing, and you can't beat them time you GET to spend with your family doing things you love together.

There are a number of lakes on the Valentine National Wildlife Refuge that are not open to fishing.  I would love it if we could fish more waters there, but keep in mind that it is a U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Federal wildlife refuge and their management goals for the refuge are something different than providing the most fishing opportunity on the most lakes.  In our communications with the refuge staff, something we do every year, we often suggest the opening of more waters for fishing, even if it was just ice fishing, but that does not fit with the current management objectives of the refuge.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline Gobluefne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Daryl and PLEASE KEEP PUSHING FOR THAT!!  Even if it was just for ice fishing that would be great.

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Daryl and PLEASE KEEP PUSHING FOR THAT!!  Even if it was just for ice fishing that would be great.

x2

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Like I mentioned before I really hope to see them switch a couple to trophy fisheries but before that happens I guess I will wish for heavy spring rains.
Save up and buy your own lake.  Or long term lease.
Where's the ice

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:42 PM »
Save up and buy your own lake.  Or long term lease.

Been saving money to buy Mule Lake

Offline MA Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:25 PM »
The only people I ever see screwing up the Valentine refuge or any other Nebraska Lake for that matter, are the guys keeping buckets of big panfish every day and any bass even close to 21".  Of course they throw the little ones back.  I think the Game and Parks/Feds do a great job of renovating lakes.    Until you get the trophy MEAT hunters to change there is no hope of ANY lake in this state to preserve a trophy panfish fishery.   It's easy to deflect blame onto the State but some of you guys should look in the mirror next time you cast blame.  I've seen those lakes punished when the fish are biting and empty when they are not.  These forums and fishing reports wouldn't be hurting the lakes would they?  Human greed and bragging rights are the real killers here. 

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Anyone want to go in on buying Middle Marsh Lake (cherry co) with me?  I believe I can take that lake unsuitable for fish and make it the trophy lake we all want.  May have to tap into groundwater to make sure it doesn't get too low.
Where's the ice

Offline MA Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Here is what ice fishing could be without renovation.  Rat/Beaver This year.  Not even close to all we landed.

I am sure the refuge lakes would be no better off without the feds and Game and Parks

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:36 PM »
Personally I have never caught a pike of any size with a carp in its belly, I've caught them with pocket gophers , snapping turtles ,black birds , perch , bluegill,snakes,grasshoppers,but never a carp. So what ever sdsu is using is B.S

Wow. A little over the top here. I have seen large pike eat baby ducks from the surface and have also had 20+ lb gators come up and smash 20" walleye at the boat.  They are top notch predators. It is very plausible that they would eat smaller carp. To say that SDSU's research is "B.S" is a little ridiculous. Just because you have never caught one with a digested carp in it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

O wait there are no huge pike there never mind. 

No large pike in Merritt? I beg to differ. I bet there are others who would say the same thing.

When we loaded up they the sdsu had transport trucks at the west ramp full of pan fish.so dont give me the B.S.

Is this before or after the spaceship landed and took them to another galaxy to start a new population of panfish there?  ;D Ha just kidding.  The NGPC have a tough job, give them a break. Guys like Daryl and other biologists work very hard and to say their work is "B.S" is kind of shallow. Lets give 'em a break. 

Offline MA Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:42 PM »
I've read some of the studies on the valentine refuge and they are very in-depth and informative research papers. Absolutely not BS studies!

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Ferg still own Rat and Beaver?
It has public access. Is it privately owned?  I know Blaine owns the ground on the east side.  Feds, north side.  Lady that lives far away, west side.  Cabin? don't know.
Where's the ice

Offline MA Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:14 PM »
I am pretty sure the State has obtained the lake and a small portion of the land for a boat ramp.  Original owners are out of the picture.  It is scheduled for chemical renovation Sept 2013 as far as I've heard.   

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:36 AM »
Next time Daryl I will get name and photos for you.The board were pulled this fall at Dewey all the lakes drain thru there to Ballards marsh. Personally I have never caught a pike of any size with a carp in its belly, I've caught them with pocket gophers , snapping turtles ,black birds , perch , bluegill,snakes,grasshoppers,but never a carp. So what ever sdsu is using is B.S you cannot find any where on any lake that a 28 inch limit has worked. Look at merit O wait there are no huge pike there never mind.We were on pelican fishing and followed the shock boats so we left because the fish dont bite when they are being shocked. When we loaded up they the sdsu had transport trucks at the west ramp full of pan fish.so dont give me the B.S. I thought the G.P were in charge of Big Akili so they should know who is going to run it or when its torn down.

I mentioned before that some of the research and high-tech surveying being done on the Valentine refuge is being done to better understand water movement.  When the water is high enough, and I must emphasize that, there are not necessarily all of these connections unless water levels are high, it water flows from Dewey to Clear, and from Clear to Willow.  From Willow it flows out eventually towards Big Alkali.  I do not believe any of that connects to Ballard's Marsh and if it does it does so only when water levels are very high.

I said before and will say it again here for emphasis, that the research we have, most of it done by SDSU, indicates that most of the YOY carp predation occurs in the fall and winter under the ice.  I am betting that was based on a sample of more fish than you caught.  Research also indicates that the 28-inch maximum has been successful in helping to manage carp populations on the Valentine refuge.  If you want citations on all of that I can give it to you.

We can compare sandhill lakes to Merritt if you want.  Just remember in those comparisons that we are talking about comparing relatively shallow natural lakes and a relatively large, relatively deep, fluctuating, man-made, irrigation reservoir.  Keeping those fundamental differences in mind to begin with, fire away, make all the comparisons you want.

Electrofishing immobilizes fish for a short period of time.  Once they are out of the electrical field they quickly recover and "carry on".  I have caught fish on hook & line right after the shocking boat went through and in fact have found it can be an excellent time to fish because the predator fish take advantage of the "stunned" prey fish.

I told you what I know about Big Alkali.  I believe the concession is available if anyone wants to take that on.  If you do, let me know and I can provide contact information.

As I said before, you can call me a liar, whatever.  Maybe it would help if you had names and photos.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Anyone want to go in on buying Middle Marsh Lake (cherry co) with me?  I believe I can take that lake unsuitable for fish and make it the trophy lake we all want.  May have to tap into groundwater to make sure it doesn't get too low.

I would pitch in with you, but it wouldn't do any good.  The Marsh lakes, all of them are on the Valentine National Wildlife Refuge and I am pretty sure they ain't for sale.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:40 AM »
I am pretty sure the State has obtained the lake and a small portion of the land for a boat ramp.  Original owners are out of the picture.  It is scheduled for chemical renovation Sept 2013 as far as I've heard.   

What he said!

There is public access to Rat & Beaver provided at the boat ramp and parking lot on the east end of the lake.  Other than that the rest of the land between the road and the lake is privately-owned, stay off.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline Tic addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:09 AM »
Thanks for all your info Daryl, very interesting how you explain everything. there will probably never come a day that everyone will be satisfied ,  I ask the questions only out of curiousity. Knowing that the fishing will allways change on every body of water makes it fishing not catching if we went out every day and knew we were going to limit out and fill the freezers why would we think that was fun ? It wouldnt be !!!!! Yes we all need to practice more catch and release at times and the most valuable thing about fishing is learning and being in the outdoors no matter where it may be. I havent personally thought that the refuge has changed as far as fishing goes, we have been catching fair numbers of panfish since thats all we normally target through the ice. yes low water doesnt help matters but we have no controll over that mother nature is the ruller of that along with most everything in our lives , improvements will allways be invisioned by all of us to areas that need it we just cant stand still and let things get run down and  if nothing was being done we would think that all you guys were out fishing instead of working LOL !!!!!! . Again thank you and good luck fishing 
"Jiggem"

Offline wishingiwasfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:29 PM »
Unless you know someone who knows someone then you can come in fromt the west ;D

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:32 PM »
Ok Daryl most of the lakes on the refuge are fin lakes supplied from under ground or seepage.Gordon creek feeds partly to watts and hackberry that in turn feeds to dewey,whitewater feeds into dewey from the souththen dewey goes into clear to willow then north to schlagel creek past trout and red deer  lake  splits to ballards to the east and north to Big Alkali  mule then east to bens lake  and noth to the Niobrara.Plenty of places for carp to infest

I said earlier that when water levels are high, there are a lot of connections and fish are on the move.  Obviously groundwater is an important source of water for Nebraska's sandhill lakes, but in most areas there are low-grade drainages that can connect bodies of water under high water conditions.  When water levels are high, carp have plenty of places to hide and move to and from plenty of places.  That is why we have been using high-tech surveying techniques including aerial surveying on the Valentine refuge in order to better understand water flows.  That information will allow better water level management and better carp management in the future.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Ok Daryl when water levels are high the carp move around.But we spend millions in tax payer money to remove these carp for how many years? How many lakes and how many times have they have been renovated. And they are never removed  might as well throw the money down a hole . But when they the feds pull the boards out at Dewey in the middle of a huge drought in turn drains  most of the lakes on the refuge it shows how common sense and the goverment work so well  and shows any one can be a fisheries or a bird bioloigist for the state of Nebraska or the federal goverment.

You might want to sit down for this. . . . the reality is we will never get rid of all the common carp.  Unless you invent a time machine and we go back over a hundred years and prevent the introduction of common carp to North America, we will never get rid of them.  Furthermore, we completely expect that when we do some rotenone renovations that the common carp will eventually re-invade.  Does that mean those fisheries management activities are a waste of time and money?  Does that mean we are throwing money down a hole?  NO, NOT AT ALL.  We are managing carp populations, and when we do a rotenone renovation, even if the common carp eventually re-invade, we will produce several years of improved water quality, improved habitat conditions, improved fish populations and improved fishing.  That ain't throwing money down a hole.

I have told you that water levels on the Valentine Refuge lakes were manipulated this summer in order to do boat ramp work on several of the lakes.  The ramps on those lakes are now better than ever.  But the biggest reason water levels are low right now is that 2012 was one of the driest single years we have ever had.  We have not control over the weather.

What do you do for a living?  How often are you told that you should be fired or that you are worthless in your job?  It happens to me several times a week.  Thank you.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:51 AM »
You might want to sit down for this. . . . the reality is we will never get rid of all the common carp.  Unless you invent a time machine and we go back over a hundred years and prevent the introduction of common carp to North America, we will never get rid of them.  Furthermore, we completely expect that when we do some rotenone renovations that the common carp will eventually re-invade.  Does that mean those fisheries management activities are a waste of time and money?  Does that mean we are throwing money down a hole?  NO, NOT AT ALL.  We are managing carp populations, and when we do a rotenone renovation, even if the common carp eventually re-invade, we will produce several years of improved water quality, improved habitat conditions, improved fish populations and improved fishing.  That ain't throwing money down a hole.

I have told you that water levels on the Valentine Refuge lakes were manipulated this summer in order to do boat ramp work on several of the lakes.  The ramps on those lakes are now better than ever.  But the biggest reason water levels are low right now is that 2012 was one of the driest single years we have ever had.  We have not control over the weather.

What do you do for a living?  How often are you told that you should be fired or that you are worthless in your job?  It happens to me several times a week.  Thank you.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

I hope you're aware that there are (and I'm guessing probably 100 or more to 1) a lot of people in this state and in the fishing community in particular that appreciate your work (and that of other NGPC fisheries staff).  You have a gift for clear communication and teaching that is uncommon, you have a contagious enthusiasm for all things outdoors, and your writing (to say nothing of other things you do, which I'm sure are also very valuable) certainly has helped many an angler, both in and out of Nebraska.  I for one have gotten my kids out fishing a lot more often in a lot more seasons (and had more success too), encouraged by some of the pieces you've written.

OK - back to the Refuge Lakes...

Nate

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 15, 2013, 03:29 PM »
I hope you're aware that there are (and I'm guessing probably 100 or more to 1) a lot of people in this state and in the fishing community in particular that appreciate your work (and that of other NGPC fisheries staff).  You have a gift for clear communication and teaching that is uncommon, you have a contagious enthusiasm for all things outdoors, and your writing (to say nothing of other things you do, which I'm sure are also very valuable) certainly has helped many an angler, both in and out of Nebraska.  I for one have gotten my kids out fishing a lot more often in a lot more seasons (and had more success too), encouraged by some of the pieces you've written.

OK - back to the Refuge Lakes...

Nate

Nate,

Thank you.

I didn't say what I did to fish for sympathy, but some of it does get old at times.

Again, I hope everyone understands that they do not have to agree with me or the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission all the time.  If you have complaints, I want to hear about it.  But I also hope that folks understand that this internet thingy is free speech at its finest, and I am going to exercise my right to speak freely here too.

And what makes it all worthwhile is folks like yourself!

GO FISH!

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.