Author Topic: Nebraska get together headcount (edited)  (Read 5854 times)

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
Nebraska get together headcount (edited)
« on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:24 PM »
I'll start a head count, and maybe we can organize some carpooling for those that want it.  I've put this list together by just reading the other page, you can pm me or chime in here to add yourself.

JAM3S
ajb05854
jimyoumook
Tomhusker
Mr Merritt
fishslap
Panfishon
Crappie15 and son
BojiHawk
sandbilly
Efrey
Uncle Grumpy
hankthecrank
Scotty - probably
Perchboy - probably
phillywah79 - probably

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Nebraska get together headcount (edited)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:18 PM »
were do we plan to meet at

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:57 PM »
I think the ideas is to meet at The Trading Post.  Not sure what time yet.  I suggest 8am, anyone else chime in?

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:19 PM »
I'll be off Beeds Landing on ice, quad and dogsled by 7:30 am mountain time Saturday unless you all plan something different.

dc 

Offline efrey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:37 PM »
I would say Don has a good plan of just meeting at beeds between 7 and 8.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:59 PM »
 If I don't get any takers on sharing the cabin/gas costs I am going to just drive out on Saturday. I don't know where anything is there, so meeting at the Post is best for me, but will figure it out if it is decided otherwise.

Offline Fishingnerd33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Beed's landing is toward the southern end of the lake.  Coming from Valentine, just keep going past the Post a few miles on the winding highway south.  The turn should be marked, if not it's the next turn south after Cedar Bay.  Hope that helps!

If it were closer, I'd love to make it out, but not going to happen.

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/Fishing/programs/lakemapping/pdfs/Merritt.pdf

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:57 PM »
I'll be off Beads Landing on ice, quad and dogsled by 7:30 am mountain time Saturday unless you all plan something different.

dc

I forgot about the time change.  That's gonna be nice for me.

Offline Scotty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:57 PM »
I might make it up on Sun.The weekends get tough for me from here on.Please try to advise where you guys will be on Sun.I'd really like to meet everybody in person.

Offline ajb05854

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:40 AM »
I forgot about the time change.  That's gonna be nice for me.

I forgot about that too.  Do you want me to pick up any walleye stuff?  I was planning on getting a few stop sign jigs if I can find them locally and a couple other items.  Remember, I lost all my lures but a small container of panfish jigs. 

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Merritt is on central time. Sorry I was thinking out loud. I'll be at Beeds by 8:30 am central time. For those coming from the South it saves some overlap miles. Thanks for the map Nerd. Beads is well marked off highway 97. Unload at the boat ramp, plenty of parking around there. Won't be more than 400 yards off the ramp for an hour or so until everyone is accounted for. I have a green Honda with racks like this pulling a dogsled.

Hard to miss. See how things go but probably head for the Snake by 3pm central time.

A few things about ice fishing Merritt. Most fish will be caught between 25 - 45'. A complete set up including rod, reel, line, and jig will help catch more fish especially crappie that feed up.  Heavy action rod, old 8lb. test with a moon glow teardrop won't fish well in deep water. Also hard to get a hook set with noodle rods at that depth. Try and match your set up to the conditions. I like a med action rod, 3 lb. test, heavy fishing jig like a fiska or marmooska for Merritt. Kastmasters and pimples also work well. Bring something like a bottom finder or old spark plug to knock jigs out of brush when snagged. A lot of people run minnow rods on Merritt. It's not my thing, but they are very effective on active fish if that is your style of fishing. Just be sure to have enough line on. Flasher or some kind of fish finder is probably one of the most important tools for Merritt. If you don't have one let me know and I will bring spares.           

I might make it up on Sun.The weekends get tough for me from here on.Please try to advise where you guys will be on Sun.I'd really like to meet everybody in person.

Don't know what the plan is yet. Hopefully others will set Sunday up as I will have to feed that morning.

Looking forward to it.

dc   

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2012, 09:30 AM »
As an alternative to meeting at Beeds I can have the coffee on by 7:30 central time at the store.  It is less than 3.5 miles from Beeds.  Some may want to pick up bait (have small minnows and waxies), look at a map, get some advice or set up a strategy.  Let me know.  Good post by sandbilly on equipment set-ups etc. Due to the depth factors Merritt does fish a bit different from other sandhills lakes.  We have a fairly decent line of basic ice tackle here if any need equipment updates.  I'm really looking forward to meeting and fishing with you guys!

Offline crappie15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:13 AM »
I was planning on going straight to Beed's but would be willing to meet at the resort. I should be to the lake by 7:30 a.m. saturday.

Offline phillywah79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:14 AM »
Im from Syracuse ne I'd like to meet up at merrit what are the ice condition I fish mostly farm ponds but will know more in a couple of days if I will make the the trip

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Actual low temps after the latest front hit -20 then -4 on consecutive nights with daytime temps below 32.  With very little snow this improved ice conditions anywhere we already had ice.  There were reports of some open water near cable hill on the Snake arm before the last cold snap.  These areas are now skimmed over so be cautious, especially with ATV's!
Boardman and most of the Snake should have 7-11 inches or more.  This weeks forecast should keep conditions pretty stable through the weekend.

Offline panfishon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:54 AM »
Thanks for the info sandbilly me and my daughter and one of my fishing buddies are comeing up for sure on saturday hope to meet a few of you guys and have a good time fishing.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2012, 02:21 PM »
 I'll be the fat guy pulling his crap by hand and cussing the day he sold his ATV......

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2012, 02:47 PM »
Sorry guys...would really like to.  Had 3 guys from Iowa commit recently and they are on limited available time we can all go.  I've been killing fish up there and this trip has had 3 postponements since Early Dec.   I would LOVE to be out there trust me....have never done Merrit.  But...I've spread myself thin and these guys put in reservations and paid for my room etc.  Sooo many lakes.....soooo little time....suuuch a crabby wife.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Well guys call me whatever you like, but can't make it Saturday anyway, I am working all night the Friday before and then would have to be back early to BB for an appreciation dinner for the people that help with masses at our church, hope to make it Sunday. Yea it was me that said think first and commit second and I am one of them that has to duck out.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:17 AM »
im going to be going out friday morning and be there saterday does  anyone know what the ice is like at the refuge

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:00 AM »
Thanks Mr Merritt. Trading Post has everything you need for supplies. Jon is nice enough to let us HQ out of there so lets support him.

im going to be going out friday morning and be there saterday does  anyone know what the ice is like at the refuge

I have not been there in a few weeks but reports say fishable ice. If the V. Refuge are like other Sandhill lakes I've fished recently, I would guess ice thickness varies considerably and expect some open water in places. You should be fine, just use caution.

Sorry you won't make it on Saturday Hank but we understand. Anyone have a plan on where to meet on Sunday?

dc   

Offline panfishon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:17 AM »
I have to work on sunday but monday being the holiday was going to go somewere just have not decided yet sorry you can not make it hank on saturday.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Well guess what I'm in again, just a ding dong attack and had the wrong day for the supper, so I'm in for both days with Sunday being a short day, now I just need to figure out sleeping arrangements. Anybody with spare room or wants to bunk together shoot me a PM.

Offline Uncle Grumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Bringing the wife for a Valentines in Valentine. Won't be there till sometime sat am. Will be pulling homemade sled with a couple of obnoxious dogs that like to visit and occasionly steal fish. So watch out for them. Hope to meet up with a lot of good people. Pat

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2012, 11:09 PM »
Well guess what I'm in again, just a ding dong attack and had the wrong day for the supper, so I'm in for both days with Sunday being a short day, now I just need to figure out sleeping arrangements. Anybody with spare room or wants to bunk together shoot me a PM.

PM Sent

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:30 AM »
I fished out of Cedar Bay in the mouth of Boardman Creek yesterday.  Ice thickness was about 14 inches where I drilled.  Fresh crappie and perch for dinner last night!  I caught my limit but they were running kind of small.  The bigger crappie seem to be further up in the Snake by most reports.  I still have 4 bed cabins available so please call to reserve.  Don't forget to mention the Ice Shanty Get Together for a discounted rate.  Regular price for a 4 bed is $145.  You can reserve one this weekend for $110 a night for four people, everything you need but food. If you don't need 4 beds and would share a cabin to lower expenses let me know and I will try to pair you up with others. Coffee will be on shortly after 7 AM at the Trading Post Saturday morning.  See you folks soon!

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:06 PM »
Well I will be working till 5AM Saturday, head home change clothes and hit the road, hope to be to Trading Post by 8AM. Look forward to seeing everyone there.

Offline phillywah79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:10 PM »
i made my res hoping i get out of work early morning on Friday. And get on the road shortly after that picking my buddy up in Lincoln then on I-80  get truck-in super pumped to come fishing and meet people that love this sport as much as i do  :) :icefish:

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Well I will be working till 5AM Saturday, head home change clothes and hit the road, hope to be to Trading Post by 8AM. Look forward to seeing everyone there.

You sir.  Are dedicated.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Hi all.  I just joined and will be staying at the trading post this weekend.  My wife's out of town this weekend so I was planning this trip anyway.  I'm coming from north of Denver and planning on hitting Valentine one day and Merritt the next.  I'm looking for crappie and bluegill since most of my ice fishing here is for trout in the mountains.  I ice fish in CO almost every weekend when the ice is on. I'm looking forward to some great NE fishing.  Maybe some of you guys could point a NE newby to a decent spot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.