Author Topic: Smith  (Read 5469 times)

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
Smith
« on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:58 AM »
A couple buddies and I are heading to smith on Sunday will let you know how we do and ice info

Offline Fishingnerd33

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smith
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Anxiously awaiting the report!  Good luck!

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2011, 02:53 PM »
So instead of Sunday gonna head up in the mourning will give info when I get there if have service

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:58 PM »
If the Smith you're heading to is Smith WMA south of Rushville, keep an eye out. From the airplane most of the ice look safe and there were guys on it, but there were some sketchy spots and the geese have a bunch kept open.

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:55 AM »
Ya same sm

Offline Fishingnerd33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Last year those geese kept a large part of the lake open late into the year...hope they don't do that again.

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:57 PM »
hey everyone just getting back to you with info on smith theres a good 6'' of clear ice solid everywhere we fished anywhere from 3 to 10 ft of water nailed perch every hole we dropped it down from 4inch's to the largest at 14.5'' no gills tho was very surprised and only two pike an 18'' and a 29'' on small perch on tip ups and just for A a little warning if you plan on getting minnows from alliance be prepared to get raped 3.00 for small dozen and believe it was 15.00 for the large dozen and yes there was a huge flock on there today keeping it open and we were on the west end cant wait to get back out there

Offline Fishingnerd33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:04 AM »
Very cool, planning a trip there as we speak.  Nice job, any pics of the fish?  Would love to see the 14.5"!!

Thanks for the report!

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:33 AM »
from 4inch's to the largest at 14.5''

That's a big perch. Any photos??

dc

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:31 AM »
I actually didn't take any of the perch left phone in the car only got one of the pike Ran back to the car to get it for a pic with her will upload shortly

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2011, 02:41 PM »

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2011, 02:49 PM »
snot rockets!

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:08 PM »
Gonna head up in the am anyone have info on where I can purchase minnows for a better price

Offline eye_ketcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:34 PM »
The bait shop in Alliance supplies minnows/wax worms to a few other bait shops in the area. so I'm guessing the prices are all gonna be the same or higher than Alliance. She doesn't raise the price much over what she has to pay for them so her supplier must of raised his prices for her to have to raise hers.

Offline Jynx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:39 PM »
She had to pay a middle man to make the bait run for her, because she is no longer capable of making the run for herself, hence the increase in price.

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Slaughterd the perch yesterday same location and a couple nice 10" gills and had many more flags go up even a nice 27" pike on the pole ice was still in great condition

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Hi guys going to head up to smith for the first time soon.  My question is can you easliy access the lake with a car or do you need a truck/high clearance?  Its a 4hr drive for me and id rather save gas and drive our car vs taking my suburban.  I appreciate any opinions.  Thanks so much and tight lines!  Chris

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:41 PM »
You can get in with your car fine, just a gravel road off the highway. Unload by the boat ramp and park your car by the cottonwoods to the north. Be careful tho, most of the ice should be good but there is an aerator out from the dock a ways that makes the ice iffy for awhile. But we've had two foggy and cold days so it should be fine. For finding fish look for the deepest water. Might have to move a bit to find where the fish are holding, but stay deeper. Should have action all day jiggin and with tip-ups. Harvest selectively, the gills and crappies get hammered pretty hard on Smith. Take all the perch and snakes u can ;) Give a holler when you're coming and I might be able to meet ya.

Offline wneb.fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2011, 02:04 PM »
I am heading tonSmith myself on Friday.  I can't hardly wait.  I never made it there during the open water season this this year.  I hope the fish are still biting and the ice still thick.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2011, 04:06 PM »
thesleddinfisher- thank  you so much for the help. Greatly appreciated and I will pm you before I come up there for sure.  Always glad to meet fellow shantyers!!  Cheers,Chris

Offline Uncle Grumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Ice still good. Be prepared to catch 4 or 5 minnows for every keeper. Fished for two hours today and came home with 3 perch, 1 nice gill and a beautiful redear. Kind of slow. Only two other groups out.

Offline Fishingnerd33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:51 PM »
Good luck to those heading out there this weekend, was hoping to get out there today but just didn't happen with the move.  If anyone is out there Sunday any reports about the ice condition would be greatly appreciated.  Planning on going there Monday if the ice holds up through the weekend.

Offline alliance bait-man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:46 AM »
IN REG. TO ICEWOLF89'S COMMET.  ALLIANCE BAIT PRICES RAPING THE FISHERMEN.  I OWN THE ALLIANCE BAIT SHOP.  YES OUR 2 1/2 INCH MINNOWS ARE $3 DOZ.  SAME OR LOWER THAN OTHER SHOPS IN THE PANHANDLE.  I KNOW BECAUSE THE BAIT COMES HERE FOR THEIR PICK UP.  OUR 3 TO 6 INCH MINNOWS ARE NOT $15.  THEY ARE $10 A DOZ.  ALL DOZ ARE LONG DOZENS.  MORE FOR THE MONEY THEY PAY.  WE DRIVE 4 HOURS TO PICK THEM UP IN ALL KINDS OF WEATHER AND ARE NOW PAYING SOME ONE TO DO THIS FOR US DO TO OUR AGE AND HEALTH.  BUT OUR PRICES HAVE STAYED THE SAME.  IF ANYONE FEELS THIS ISN'T FAIR, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.  WE HAVE HUNDREDS OF SATISFIED CUSTOMERS THAT COME ALL HOURS DAY AND NIGHT, 365 DAYS A YEAR.  WHERE ELSE IS IT ON THE HONOR SYSTEM AND OPEN HOLIDAYS AND LATE AT NIGHT AND EARLY AM.  WE ARE SO GREATFUL FOR ALL OUR CUSTOMERS THROUGH OUT THE 15 YEARS WE HAVE BEEN OPEN.  THANK YOU ALL.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:56 AM »
Alliance bait-man

Thanks for the clarification.  All it takes is one idiot posting a stupid comment to give you a bad rep.  Keep up the good work!!!

Offline AGPILOT10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2011, 05:37 PM »

An independent bait shop's profit margin is most likely not even close to were it should be.  Do the math I don't know how they can even pay to run the aerator on the tank and keep the lights turned on with bait sales.  We are sport fishing not going to the grocery store. 

Offline lungbuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Anyone have a current ice measurement?

Offline officeryan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:50 PM »
IN REG. TO ICEWOLF89'S COMMET.  ALLIANCE BAIT PRICES RAPING THE FISHERMEN.  I OWN THE ALLIANCE BAIT SHOP.  YES OUR 2 1/2 INCH MINNOWS ARE $3 DOZ.  SAME OR LOWER THAN OTHER SHOPS IN THE PANHANDLE.  I KNOW BECAUSE THE BAIT COMES HERE FOR THEIR PICK UP.  OUR 3 TO 6 INCH MINNOWS ARE NOT $15.  THEY ARE $10 A DOZ.  ALL DOZ ARE LONG DOZENS.  MORE FOR THE MONEY THEY PAY.  WE DRIVE 4 HOURS TO PICK THEM UP IN ALL KINDS OF WEATHER AND ARE NOW PAYING SOME ONE TO DO THIS FOR US DO TO OUR AGE AND HEALTH.  BUT OUR PRICES HAVE STAYED THE SAME.  IF ANYONE FEELS THIS ISN'T FAIR, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.  WE HAVE HUNDREDS OF SATISFIED CUSTOMERS THAT COME ALL HOURS DAY AND NIGHT, 365 DAYS A YEAR.  WHERE ELSE IS IT ON THE HONOR SYSTEM AND OPEN HOLIDAYS AND LATE AT NIGHT AND EARLY AM.  WE ARE SO GREATFUL FOR ALL OUR CUSTOMERS THROUGH OUT THE 15 YEARS WE HAVE BEEN OPEN.  THANK YOU ALL.

I am a satisfied customer. Plan on stopping by this years.
Just wanted to say THANKS

WIZ

Offline Fishingnerd33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:57 PM »

Have stopped several times and always gotten great bait & treated well.  What are your prices on wax worms?  Will be stopping early Monday morning (hopefully) on my way up to Smith. 

Did anyone go out today or heading there tomorrow?  Would love to hear what the ice is like before I make the 2 hour drive up there.

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:12 AM »
There's nothing wrong with the price of bait. It's called supply and demand and I'm just pleased that there is bait to be purchased! Thanks for keeping your doors open to us at all hours for those of us who have to travel and get in late in the evening!

Am thinking that those that are unhappy with the price should fish artificials only.

Toach

Offline rippin-lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:31 AM »
Thanks for a great report!
Scott Tincher
Clam Pro Staff. ~Power Stick~

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.