Author Topic: Nenana River  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Nenana River
« on: Dec 31, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Anyone fish the Nenana for burbs?  Heard some mighty big boys are there, and no pressure.  Anyone know the truth behind it?  The state office is just about worthless for information...  Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Re: Nenana River
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2005, 09:47 PM »
Hey BD-

you thinkin' about taking a small trip?  Man, I'd love to join ya if you go!  But like always- time and money (and my wife hates it when I drive any distances in the winter...).  But maybe, just maybe, I could swing a bit of time up north.

Icy Mike

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Hey Barleydog,

Maybe when KP gets back into town he may have some insight, I ran into him at Birch yesterday. He's told me he's been down there all week. Someone could ask Brian at the Warehouse to see if he has heard anything.
That sounds like it would be a fun excursion and you could go down and back in no time.Probably get some good eating and tourney sized fish there if it's true. I haven't heard of many people fishing on the Tanana because of the warm weather.

Hows the fishing on Eielson been lately?

FF

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2006, 10:04 PM »
Icy,  I understand man.  It's not easy making the trip up north, and the roads "may" get mean..  Try if you can! ;)

FF,  You bet!  We can get with KP and find out if he knows of any spots out of Nenana.  There's plenty of ice on the river, so I'm not worried about any problems there.  I had to almost use the extension on the Chena!  and the Tanana is no different.  I think if we put our heads together, we'll be able to score a big burb or 3 for the tourney. 
The fishing at Eielson has been slow, but then again, I haven't been out much.  Doing the quality time with the wife and family this past week, + work.  I'm gonna try tommarow, and hopfully the fish will cooperate!  KP want's to try some pike, we'll have to hook up eh?  I'll do some scouting, and poke for more info into the river.  BD
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2006, 12:28 AM »
Yeah I know what you mean about the family thing. I was in the AF and now a civilian firefighter on wainwright. Were talking space age to stone age here. About fishing, my schedule is fairly flexible, one week I work two straight 24 hour shifts for 48 hrs, three days off and the next week I work two on two off then two on and then three off.

I don't go back till Tues and then next week I am off for 5 days; Thurs-Mon. Plenty of time to get in some fishing. Let me know about going out. I Have machine and will travel.

I was going to try and hit some less fished spots; like the North Pit on the other side of the MC Dam. I'm in for the burbot. I used to work at Clear and am familiar with the area and I might have some maps. I was planning on getting an extension this week. I really don't have much experience fishing burbot through the ice and I am eager to learn. There are a few guys at work who are pretty decent but we work different schedules.

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2006, 07:09 PM »
Never have fished in the Nenana area. As I said in the other post that FF started I used to always fish the eddies or mouths of creeks or large sloughs. Might be kind of hard to locate those places this time of year in new territory, but I'm always up for an adventure.

I go back to work tomorrow after 11 days off, (might need some retraining) and have to be oncall this coming weekend so I need to be close to town. Thinking I might try some set lines in Piledriver/Moose Creek, anyone else interested?

I'll be off the 14, 15, and 16th. Anyone up for some burbot or pike fishing that weekend? Need to look into that permit for Minto area.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2006, 07:35 PM »
I'm in for close to town. I picked up a pike subsistence a few weeks ago at the commercial fishing office in the front area along college rd. Its good till Dec 31 of 06. You just need to report on when you go out, how many fish caught and have the permit with you when fishing that area. It is patrolled by air out there. 

Let me know, you can email me or IM for my number.

FF

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2006, 12:12 AM »
KP and FF check your IM's.  It's a go for Saturday!  Let's decide where? :D :D :D :D :D :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Alaskander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2006, 11:09 AM »
Been looking into my regulation book and the one draw back to fishing Minto through the ice is the effects it has for the rest of the calendar year.  Under the state subsistance permit your suppose to report your catch of pike.  Once the winter subsistance number of 750 pike is reached, they shut down the winter state subsistance fishery and reduce the daily bag limit from 5 fish one over 30" to 2 fish one over 30" for the entire open water season to follow.  This could have a huge impact on the open water fishery.  After the assessment scheduled for this spring of Minto we will try to change the regs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.