Author Topic: Stocked Char  (Read 1484 times)

Offline yukonman

• IceShanty Rookie
Stocked Char
« on: Mar 15, 2004, 11:01 AM »
Hey fellas (and ladies). . .
   wondering if you guys had any suggestions for char fishing around this time of year. I'm in Whitehorse, and there's a great stock of them that barely ever gets fished nearby. I haven't fished for them before, and was just going to try old standbys like swedish pimples and jig heads tipped with bait. Any other suggestions?

yukonman

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
Re: Stocked Char
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2004, 01:45 PM »
try orange if you use a swedish pimple...i use a double orange mepps scyclops...tip it with a little bait, then find some char

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: Stocked Char
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2004, 01:56 PM »
Yukonman,
Those stocked char can be aggressive.  I like to use hand made jigs that I order and paint from Cabelas.  They are very similar to Swedish Pimples, but you can paint them different colors.  I had found that glo, orange, and flour.green work the best.  Northland Baits puts out a couple jigs like the eye-dropper and the forage minnow fry that work well.  Any bait walking jig works well as long as it's tipped with bait.
I like to use uncooked shrimp pieces, wax worms (found at the local pet shops), and strips of herring 3/4" long skin side out.  Good luck!  Post some photos of your outing, love to see them...Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.