Author Topic: Germ's LING thread 2005  (Read 15165 times)

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Germ's LING thread 2005
« on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:02 PM »
Hey William......

On the LOB there where would you reccomend Parking> ? I want to catch myself a nice LING Nite time fishing from like 7-11 is my best time but wonder where on Lake of Bays to go and if there is parking>??? ANy ideas?

WHen i was fishing At the crappiefest helld by Ontario's angler FOrums THey BOy caught one and a nice size one.......to.......he was targeting Crappie but a nice Surprize there none the less....and back in the hole it went:>:> Nice fish Check out the crappiefest pics there to see it./

Will be up that way this Weekend Trapper ...LOL i got to break my 3 pound Ling Barrier lol..........I know it isnt hard accompliishment but at least i Have a objective lol. Tight lines!

GERM AND HIS LING'S
[/b][/size]

GERM AND HIS LING'S New home

I figgered we may as well start a thread for our bud Germ to get his ling escapades documented on and where I can move some posts out of other threads that the Germ hijacks when ling are mentioned . LOL

Burbot

Lota lota or Ling, Eelpout, Loche, Freshwater Cod, Maria, Methy, Lush, Lawyer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DESCRIPTION - With an elongate body, this species averages a length of 15 inches. The colouring ranges from a yellow, light brown or tan with a lacelike pattern of dark brown or black. At times adults may be dark brown or black.

DISTRIBUTION - This species is distributed throughout the freshwaters of North America and continental Eurasia. It is absent from Nova Scotia and the Atlantic islands in Canada.

BIOLOGY - The burbot spawns in mid winter under the ice. The actual spawning activity is said to take place in a writhing ball about 2 feet in diameter made up of 10-12 individuals. Maximum age is between 10-15 years. They feed almost exclusively on other fish.

RELATION TO MAN - Although the flesh of this fish is delicious and nutritious it is regarded as a coarse fish and not widely sought after by sport fishermen.

Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

trapperdirk

Re: Germ's LING thread 2005
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:23 PM »
Will be up that way this Weekend Trapper ...LOL i got to break my 3 pound Ling Barrier lol..........I know it isnt hard accompliishment but at least i Have a objective lol. Tight lines!

Bait some holes the night before in shallower waters like say ten ft or so,, and sandy spots on lakes that are mostly rock can make the difference and you might find your luck changes Germ . ;) Remember also, this month coming up the ling will be spawning . ;D Should be a feast no prob . ;D

TD

William H. Buffy

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:28 PM »
Hey William......

On the LOB there where would you reccomend Parking> ? I want to catch myself a nice LING Nite time fishing from like 7-11 is my best time but wonder where on Lake of Bays to go and if there is parking>??? ANy ideas?

If you get to Bondi Village, you'll see a few spots to park at the public access points.  Walk out a short distance and fish in 70 feet of water from 16:00 to 22:00.  You'll get a few big Ling!

Bill

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:31 PM »
WEll since last year i totally SWitched to Plastics GLow grubs with no Live or dead bait what so ever.......

FIshermanjake GOt me into it last year and it increased my Catch Rate Ratio SO now i dont even Bother with dead smelly Baits or live...But before that i did find that WHen i baited my holes THe Bite was More active thats for sure. I Remeber the first time fishing for them and when i didnt catch anything thru my bag of Dead Minnows down the hole......and a GUy in a hut 100 feet away talked to me anyhow the next day.....when i was there fishing for them again he said he must have caught like 15 Ling in a hour or so about 1.5 hours after i left.......I told him I dropped my dead minnows down there.....He Thanked me For baiting lol...He was also the First Guy to show me the LING set up on the back of their ICE huts....They have Ling Boards for bailing and skinning them.....Nice set up...Anyhow Might try that LOB or LAke bernard? GOS that where you guys Caught THose Ling Rolly and yourself? Cause that Ling Looked nice.....Trapper? ANy suggestions Where to GO for SOme Biggun LIng?
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:35 PM »
Looking on a map now lol Is that the litttle goverment DOck thing? SO you think 70 Feet this time of YEar BIll? And how big is BIG? Im used to a Average 1.5 to just under 3 pounds:> I know ITs not big but modest.......LOL babies compared tot he alska boyz Ling but hey Im trying im trying:>:> Im all Set for this Weekend be up there frday nite for Ling and Saturday Nite:>:> Bill what set up you use? For Ling?

BryanC

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:35 PM »
we caught ours on doe lake, nice little area and i am sure trapper could point ya in teh right direction there, if not i am sure me or rolly or trapper can make ya a rough map of where to go.

BryanC

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:37 PM »
dont forget your camera germ, we wanna see lots of pics

trapperdirk

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:37 PM »
Bernards got them but they are in most lakes Germ but Doe lake will produce as well as any other .I wish I had a map of Horn Lake just north of town I could point you to the exact spot where they even spawn and where we go if we target them specifically .

TD

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:41 PM »
I just want One Bigger then 3 pounds lol.........I Tried last nite for them On Simcoe but WIth no avail...........Just Jonsing for a Ling........LOL....... ..I remember last year i caught one During the day that must have been last years fry cause he was Only like 1 inch? SOmething like that Maybe 2 inches and i wanted to Keep him for My aquarium.......but i didnt know if he would survive the CLimate differnce or what ever and decided after 1 hours of keeping him In my minnow bucket to Release the Ling to Catch him when hes older:>:> Cute lil Guy he was:>:>

BryanC

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:42 PM »
meh its all good trapper, way to keep up the good job ;D ;D ;D

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:44 PM »
ROFL Thread jacking now am i......ROFL........... ...
Ight Well hey why not:>:> Anyone with Ling info Buffy Trapper GOS .OR anyone else....Lets Try to target some ling.........heheh:>:> Im like all Ling crazy till i get it out of my system again:> Im going to Try I guess LOB this weekend .I dont know if i should even try HARP as Iv'e yet to get something over 2. what ever pounds out of there.........LOB doe? Which others should i try ? COme on guys help GERM out here:>:>

BryanC

« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2005, 03:46 PM »
since u are in that area u should pick up a backroad fishing map book and try to get some nice specs or if ya ask trapper nicely i am sure he would take ya and hook ya into some with his guiding skills

William H. Buffy

« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2005, 04:10 PM »
Looking on a map now lol Is that the litttle goverment DOck thing? SO you think 70 Feet this time of YEar BIll? And how big is BIG? Im used to a Average 1.5 to just under 3 pounds:> I know ITs not big but modest.......LOL babies compared tot he alska boyz Ling but hey Im trying im trying:>:> Im all Set for this Weekend be up there frday nite for Ling and Saturday Nite:>:> Bill what set up you use? For Ling?

Germ, if you don't catch some over five pounds, something is wrong.  8 to 10 pounds are possible there on a regular basis.
Use a large shiner 3 to 4 inch, a very heavy slide (egg) sinker with the stop shot about 22 inches up from a size 6 Gamakatsu octopus hook.   Hook the minnow close to the tail in the back, drop the whole thing to the bottom, let the minnow swim a bit to make sure you have no tangles.  Now, reel your line back till you feel the stop shot touch the egg sinker on bottom.  Now prop you rod up and watch the tip wiggle while the minnow try to swim away from the pain in his tail.  This usually puts the minnow about 10 inches above the bottom, with good movement.  It's sandy out there and you won't have hangup problems.

Bill

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2005, 04:47 PM »
THat pic of the LING COD isnt the SAme as THe ling aka Burbot. THat is a LING COD differnt then a burbot....ISnt it? Or am i To tired lol...........

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2005, 04:54 PM »
Any Ling i catch over a pound will be kept and brought back to Germs house then Pics taken of it then Filleted:> DOnt ya worry bout that:>

trapperdirk

« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2005, 05:01 PM »
Go to bed Germ . Lingcod are one and the same as burbot. More often called cod when talking about the ones in the ocean but the species as far as I know are one and the same but we may have to call William H Buffy or Troutslayer in to settle this because if I remember correctly one or both of them are from out east . ???
    I will change that pic with one of our own as soon as I find one or hopefully you catch a big one this year for a change so we got more than your fingers to look at when your holding one . LOL ;D

TD

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2005, 05:08 PM »
Sorry Trapper they are not the same THing lol YOu wont find me Lip Gripping a LIng Cod thats for sure:>

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/game_fish/burbot.phtml

YOu go to bed lol.......... ;D ;D

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2005, 05:14 PM »

Lingcod

Burbot:> aka  Ling eelpout

trapperdirk

« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2005, 05:21 PM »
Yes Germ, and the one pic is Saltwater and the other is freshwater but the species is the same I believe . And thanks for the pic you stole from Fishermanjake we'll use it in the first post .LOL

TD

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2005, 05:25 PM »
hehe ya i know i stole it from FIshermanjake LOL Mine arnt that big lol........I Know WHat your saying about the SAme Family or at least a freashwater Representitive of the COd family....Though 2 entirly different Fish......Lingcod have teeth that would Cut ya if lip gripped...Not that ive caught one of those:> but Reading teels me they have a bottom row of sharp teeth....Ouch,,,and ill try my darndest to get one so that My fingers arnt Covering the  whole fish lol Nice one.....LOL Anyhow you can use which ever pic ya want:>

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2005, 05:31 PM »
SO,,,,,,,
I dont know much about the Lingcod but arnt they oceanfish? Likesaltwater? Or they freashwater? Cause as far as I know BURbot are freashwater and LingCOd are salt???

Help??????????LOL

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2005, 05:40 PM »
    * Lota, from the old French, la lotte, "codfish"
    * Other common names include: American Burbot, Cusk, Dogfish, Eelpout, Freshwater Cod, Freshwater Codfish, Freshwater Crusk, Gudgeon, Lawyer, Ling, Lingcod, Loche, Lush (Alaska), Maria, Methy, Mother Eel, Mud Blower, Spineless Catfish, Lake (Swe)

Taxonomy:

* Kingdom Animalia
          o Phylum Chordata, animals with a spinal chord
          o Subphylum Vertebrata, animals with a backbone
                + Superclass Osteichthyes, bony fishes
                + Class Actinopterygii, ray-finned and spiny rayed fishes
                + Subclass Neopterygii
                + Infraclass Teleostei
                      # Superorder Paracanthopterygii
                      # Order Gadiformes, cod and hake
                            * Family Lotidae, cusk fishes
                                  o Genus Lota, burbot and eelpout
    * The North Country's only freshwater representative of the primarily ocean-dwelling Codfish Family.

Description:

* An ugly, eel-like freshwater cod of deep waters and nightmares
    * Length
          o typically 15"-22"
          o can reach 46"
    * Weight
          o typically 1-3 lbs
          o can weigh over 12 lbs
    * Coloration
          o back and sides dark olive or brown with dark mottlings; adults may be dark brown or black
          o belly white, cream, or pale yellow
          o fins similar in color to adjacent body parts
    * Body
          o slender, elongated, and cylindrical
          o smooth skinned and slimy, with minute scales
          o dorsal fin divided
                + short first dorsal lobe of 8-16 soft rays
                + long, low, second lobe of 61-81 rays.
          o anal fin of 52-76 fin rays; nearly as long as second dorsal fin
          o pelvic fins of 5-8 rays in the throat area slightly ahead of pectoral fins
          o tail fin rounded, separated from both dorsal and anal fins
          o scales present, but so small as to be nearly invisible, except on large adults
    * Head
          o wide, flattened head
          o small eyes
          o single large barbel on chin
          o barbel-like tube from each nostril
    * Lifespan 10-15 years

Identification:

* Unlike anything else in North Country waters. Distinguished by:
          o short forward dorsal fin paired with long rearward dorsal fin
          o long anal fin, nearly equal to the second dorsal fin in length
          o wide, flat head
          o single chin barbel

Distribution:

* Cold fresh waters of North America, from the Arctic Ocean to the northern US; also continental Eurasia
    * The only exclusively freshwater codfish

Habitat:

* Deep, cold waters of lakes and rivers. Prefers to be near the bottom in areas of low light intensity (usually in the deepest water available).
    * Also inhabits areas with aquatic vegetation, rock piles, submerged logs, and other underwater structures.
    * Migrates late winter and early spring, after spawning, from lakes to tributary rivers.

Foods:

* A rather reclusive fish, hiding about underwater structure during the daytime and foraging actively at night over the bottom.
    * Predominantly predators, eating small fish, aquatic insects, and even small rodents.
    * Adults over 20" or so feed almost entirely on other fishes during the summer, when in deeper water, and on invertebrates in the winter.
    * Consume mainly mayfly nymphs and other insects while young, shifting to a diet of fish and crayfish as adults.
    * Voracious appetite and indiscriminate eating habits. Stomachs have been found to contain small stones, wood chips, and plastic as well as the more typical fare of crustaceans, fish, and insects.

History:

* Minnesota Record: 18lb 5oz, from Lake of the Woods (Lake of the Woods County)
    * Early Great Lakes fishermen derided them as trash fish. In the middle of the 20th century, the lakes' burbot populations declined under the onslaught of the sea lamprey but are now returning

Uses:

* Despite ugly form, meat is tasty and nutritious. Still regarded as a coarse fish, however, and not widely sought by anglers, though interest in ice fishing for burbot is increasing..
    * A delicacy in Scandinavia, the liver contains an oil said to rival that of the saltwater cod. Harvested commercially on the Great Lakes.

Reproduction:

* Spawns in mid winter under the ice, usually in 1'-4' of water, with water temperatures near 35º F. Spawning occurs at night in shallow bays or tributary streams over a sand or gravel bottom and is said to take place in a writhing ball about 2' in diameter made up of 10-12 individuals.
    * Extremely productive; large females lay up to one million eggs, which drift along the bottom, hatching within 30 days. No care is given to the fry young.
    * The young grow rapidly for their first four years, feeding mostly at night on a variety of invertebrates. They spend most of this time in lake shallows or stream channels.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2005, 05:45 PM »
Like i said I dont know Anything bout the LINGCOD per say other then the facts on the WEB.......So i cannot Say to much about them...But as i read it the LINGCOD appear to be salt water? FROm what i have read...But anyhow We have alot of INFO now thank you guys for the help:>:> GEtting GErm to work for this Now eh lol.......ANyhow ya I bet a female Lingcod got all drunk millions of years ago and decided the EEL looked pretty fine and THen VOila.........LOL eelpout aka LIng aka Burbot or lotta lotta......Anyways the one i catch is a Burbot not a lingcod........:> and when i do catch em they arnt all that big to brag about but i DO like eating them.....YUM YUM!!!!!!!11111

trapperdirk

« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2005, 05:47 PM »
THat pic of the LING COD isnt the SAme as THe ling aka Burbot. THat is a LING COD differnt then a burbot....ISnt it? Or am i To tired lol...........
Go to bed Germ . Lingcod are one and the same as burbot. More often called cod when talking about the ones in the ocean but the species as far as I know are one and the same but we may have to call William H Buffy or Troutslayer in to settle this because if I remember correctly one or both of them are from out east . ???
    I will change that pic with one of our own as soon as I find one or hopefully you catch a big one this year for a change so we got more than your fingers to look at when your holding one . LOL ;D
         TD

Quote from Germ Post Above:* The North Country's only freshwater representative of the primarily ocean-dwelling Codfish Family. * Other common names include: American Burbot, Cusk, Dogfish, Eelpout, Freshwater Cod, Freshwater Codfish, Freshwater Crusk, Gudgeon, Lawyer, Ling, Lingcod, Loche, Lush (Alaska), Maria, Methy, Mother Eel, Mud Blower, Spineless Catfish, Lake (Swe)

Thanks for proving me right Germ so go to bed for your insolence .LOL ;D ;)

TD

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2005, 05:51 PM »
They are the only freshwater member of the Cod fish family so.......ROFL....Ya im tired as crap LOL same Family Not the same FIsh though:> I was correct about the picture though:> Not the Burbot i catch:>:> ANyhow 'Im Off to bed to get a few winks before Work tommorow......Nite all and thanks for THe Info Trapper and Troutslayer Ill post some Pics if i get ANy of the FIsh indicated on this Particular thread lol............

Eyes hurt must sleep./ROFL tight lines and thanks again Trapper.

trapperdirk

« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2005, 06:15 PM »
If your coming up give me a call Germ if you want, and we'll give them  ugly ol ling a shot and I know plenty of spots that they can be caught at night which is pretty well everywhere .

TD

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2005, 06:25 PM »
Will do Trapper......Still got your Number in the Old wallet if not Ill Try ya On here when i arrive..LOL........Ill be up in town sometime around 6-7 tommorow........Might GIve One of those lakes your way a try for sure.....Like i said for some reason I guess lake size permitting i cant catch a ling over 2.5 pounds. Id like one of those 5-9 pounders:> Hmmmm Ling......... On a side not here anyone know of any GLow products that last more then 5 mins charged?  I use glow artifical but that Recharging gets to me especially In the cold frigid air lol TIght lines...........

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2005, 06:59 PM »
the atlantic cod is not a ling cod.  it is related.
lingcod or ling is the same as burbot, eelpout yada yada yada.
the word ling is related only to the freshwater type.

trapperdirk

« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2005, 07:17 PM »
Germ get yourself one of those LED lights at Walmart for twenty bucks .You can either clip it on your hatbrim or use the harness . I got one and can't say enough good things about it because batteries last well,its great for charging your glo jigs and your hands are always free . I can't believe how I ever got by without one and am going to get a second one to carry in my truck .Awesome night fishing tool that will come in handy in your quest for ling .No real need of a hand flashlight anymore or very minimal . I used mine a couple of times this year and nightfishing became a breeze because you could watch your line that you jig with, and then glance over at your tipup on occassion and see it clearly without any effort at all .If you haven't got one your missing out bigtime and its the best twenty bucks I've spent in years .I could do an infomercial easy on it,, can't you tell ?.LOL ;D

TD

grumpymoe

« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2005, 07:26 PM »
here's a pic of Mountainmama's burbot caught before Christmas 2004.....she wouldn't touch it and i dont blame her....skinned her up....and dipped in garlic butter.....i just know she's going to catch a bigger one for the 2005 tourney....GeRm....rea dy for an all-nighter???......Grump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.