The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: New Camera = Good Fun  (Read 3653 times)

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
New Camera = Good Fun
« on: Feb 07, 2007, 05:56 PM »
Harbor Freight finally delivered my new camera yesterday so I sneaked out of work early so I could put in an hour or so on The River and give it a try.  Punched three holes and put some traps out then punched two more for the jig and the camera.  Lower the camera down, adjust some setting and start rotating it.  Well hello Mr Pickerel, would you mind staying there for just a moment while I grab my ultra-light jig pole ?  Lower the jig down and at five feet down I see the Pick turn his head up and then bolt upward, one second latter my pole doubles in half and I procede to gently bring him through the hole:

I saw several perch on the screen but could not get them interested.  Start to pick up my traps and the last one left in the ice goes up  :tipup:  Pulled this nice little 24" Pike through the hole off of one of RonCars goldens that he was kind enough to leave me after the Sunday Cove gathering.

Not Bad for an hour of ice time.  Thanks for the shiners Ron.  I think they'll work for pike ;)

Tight Lines,

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New Camera = Good Fun
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2007, 06:15 PM »
Hey Capt.

nice toy...doin better than last weekend...gotta love those goldens and the high tech aspect...

I may bring Lenz out there soon to the cove...I'll let ya know when we come out in case you can join us..

Roncarr is looking to get us out to a pond out this way for some pike on sat...we'll see

BTW...killed the chowda last nite...yummm

K

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2007, 07:12 PM »
good job at least something of mine gets pike I'll keep trying .keep the reports going on those goldies got a few more today and a couple of biggr ones ttyl
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2007, 07:45 PM »
Good work Capt. cameras are "reel" fun ;D Ron I am putting in my order now for some goldies I heard they work lol ;)

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2007, 07:55 PM »
Hi Ron I'm going to try my hand at jigging some bait this week I was wondering if you could give me some pointers. It would be great if you could help me. I'm getting sick of paying 10.00 a doz. for pike bait, and that is a good price around here.(((((FLAG))))) :tipup:
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2007, 08:15 PM »
I've been trapping them opened up the holes a little bigger and used a glow stick in the trap I tried jigging for them marked a lot on the vex but no bitters Ill try a bigger pond fri night let you know I used a pink glow stick=13goldies green glow stick=98 goldies but I opened up the holes in the trap so when the bread was gone I think the smaller ones swam out just got more green sticks if I get more with green this time I will know it was color

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2007, 09:32 PM »
just got back from retrieving the trap set it at 10 am no glow sticks picked up at 10 pm 15 goldies 1 ten in sucker and  get this I think one 7 in tiger muskie its got stripes I dont know how it would get in there it is a tiny pond I dont know but do pickerel have stripes before they get older only thing I can think of somone from a hatchery is trying to fatten them up without any other predators around ??? well I set it this time with green glow sticks if I get 90 tomorow morning I'll know it is the color if it is jigging at night with them will be a good thing

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2007, 09:48 PM »
Capt.Shay....what kind of camera did you get?  I take it you like it?  I've been thinking of getting one myself to go along with the Vexilar.  Did you have problems aligning the camera to point at your jig?  Do you have one of the tripods that go along with the cams?
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline crappiegirl15

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater bozak!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:09 PM »
Could of been a grass pickerel?
Ice Freak

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2007, 12:05 AM »
Could of been a grass pickerel?what do they look like do they have stripes?

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2007, 12:34 AM »
Ron put down that beer and go to bed lol!!!!

It is a pickeral they look like stripes when they are young!!!!! ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2007, 06:25 AM »
Hey Capt.

nice toy...doin better than last weekend..

What can I say other than "You should have been here tomorrow"  ;D

BTW...killed the chowda last nite...yummm
K

Yummm Chowwda. I kind of remember the recipe but could you PM it to me some time.  Thanx

good job at least something of mine gets pike I'll keep trying .
It will come, just keep putting your time in.  I am sure your on to something with these goldies.  Consider a mid week trip out here and I'll try to put you on some.

Capt.Shay....what kind of camera did you get?  I take it you like it?  I've been thinking of getting one myself to go along with the Vexilar.  Did you have problems aligning the camera to point at your jig?  Do you have one of the tripods that go along with the cams?

I picked up the $99.00 one from Harbor Freight.  With exactly one hour of use all I can really say is it showed me a fish and I was able to land it.  Actually pretty cool to see.  As far as durability or use under other conditions, time will tell.  It was a little bit difficult to keep it focused on the jig but I'm going to try a trick I read in the equipment forum and cut a V notch out of a 12" long board and sliding the cable in to the notch to hold it in place

Ron put down that beer and go to bed lol!!!!

It is a pickeral they look like stripes when they are young!!!!! ;D

Posting at 1:05 A.M. I'm sure he was stone sober.  I would agree, it sounds like a young Pick to me.  Can you post a picture?

Tight Lines,

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2007, 11:49 AM »
green glow stick=37 goldies  shay my camera broke I'll have carl take a pic before I let it go it really looks like one black stripes and it totaly fliped out when I took it out of the tank today.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2007, 11:54 AM »
Roncarr, can you give me some specifics on your trap?  Is it just one of those silver types that have two halves and clip together in the middle or is this a homemade one you made yourself?  Picture or description?  Thanks man.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2007, 12:02 PM »
Roncarr, can you give me some specifics on your trap?  Is it just one of those silver types that have two halves and clip together in the middle or is this a homemade one you made yourself?  Picture or description?  Thanks man.
yes it is the two halfs that clip together and I open up the holes that the bait swims in to get bigger ones .last night I went on mapquest to look at the area that my traps are in went to arial view and seareched the surounding area and found a ton of other small ponds the one I go to is a small pond in front of an office building. hope this helps you let me know how you do .green coleman glow sticks got them at dicks  sporting goods.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Hey Ron thanks.

How long do those green glowsticks last under the ice?  Are they dead the following day?  I'm thinking not more than 8hrs...if that.  What are you finding is the best bait?  Also, what are you doing just putting it down a hole and tieing it off midway down in the water column?  What are you tieing off to? I have an idea of a pond I'd like to try...just don't want someone coming by after me and reopening the hole with an auger and down to the bottom goes the trap...ya know?  ???

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2007, 05:35 PM »
Ron it sounds like you know what you are doing. Where in mass do you live? I'd like to get together and do some fishing with some new guys and try some new spots. I am going to Plainfield pond in the morning and hoping to spend the whole day there. They have been stocking it with tigers for a while now so they should be getting big by now. So you just drill a hole and put the trap through the ice or are you cutting it with a saw?(((((FLAG))))) :tipup:           Thanks for the info too!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline crappiegirl15

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater bozak!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2007, 05:46 PM »
Tigers in plainfield,  Woah I had no idea, r there pike in there too,   I have done real good on bass, perch and picks there in the past but thats about it,   I might try and head up there sunday morning now that I know there are tigers prowling,  always wanted to catch me one of those mothers
Ice Freak

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2007, 06:43 PM »
PM'd the chowda recipe Capt...K

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2007, 06:59 PM »
Back at ya'

Tight Lines,

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:31 PM »
shay can you foward that recipe to me thanks.

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:48 PM »
Hey Ron thanks.

How long do those green glowsticks last under the ice?  Are they dead the following day?  I'm thinking not more than 8hrs...if that.  What are you finding is the best bait?  Also, what are you doing just putting it down a hole and tieing it off midway down in the water column?  What are you tieing off to? I have an idea of a pond I'd like to try...just don't want someone coming by after me and reopening the hole with an auger and down to the bottom goes the trap...ya know?  ???
the coleman glow sticks last longer I took one out tonight and snapped it and shook it and seemed fine. I've been using bread and compacting it with my hands I dont tie off the pond is only 6 ft deep trap on bottom last night the knot came out as I lowered the trap I went there today with my saltwater pole and a treble hook got it first try.I figure if you trap somewhere there are poeple who will take your trap fashion a long pole with a salt water treble on it and you wont need rope.I just started thinking about setting mid depth EMS has these cool hollow screw ins that ice climbers use buckman showed one to me they screw in easy and hold good you could use that for tying off.you want to go to realy small ponds I set three different places tonight one was a rambo mission eluding security but I heard there are huge ones in there we'll see tomorow I'll post results

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2007, 09:58 PM »
Small ponds are key huh?  Keep us posted on your new spots and how your doing.    I can think of a couple spots, but I think the trap might get pinched. 

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2007, 09:11 AM »
HEy roncarr wait till yuo start bringing someone else with you so you can do a drive by so that no one knows your getting bait there.  at one tiny place i go to i have someone drop me off and they coem back in 10 mins and i only go when its dark out. 
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline tilted

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2007, 04:14 PM »
Ron, do you use dog food and the glow stick? Never tried it before but reading about all the guys doing it makes me think I should give it a try. I have the time.
Burn Baby Burn!!!!

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2007, 06:02 PM »
HEy roncarr wait till yuo start bringing someone else with you so you can do a drive by so that no one knows your getting bait there.  at one tiny place i go to i have someone drop me off and they coem back in 10 mins and i only go when its dark out. 
yes I go at night just waiting a little longer my skin is crawling cant wait to see what happened .I tried dog food and bread last night will post results in 2 hours or a little longer

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2007, 07:47 PM »
rambo pond nada two 10-12 in catfish you think they scared off the shinners my buddy told me he thought that trap would be full?The other pond about 4-6 dozen tons of small ones I only kept 2 doz I was using two traps in that pond I got rid of the dog food dont want cats and it just made a mess in the trap for sorting out the big ones well I'll see what the bread does in rambo pond?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.