The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Trout fishing  (Read 1267 times)

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
Trout fishing
« on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:26 PM »
I know this question has been brought up before ( kinda ) but what do you guys use when fishing for trout and salmon, and at what depths?

I was thinking real shallow in the sand, or real deep.
We will either be at Peters ponds or long pond in plymouth ( ice permitting)
Also, floating power bait, like i would in the spring for trout, around 2 feet of the bottem.
Or Small shiners?

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Trout fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:30 PM »
We use small live bait about 1 foot under the ice for Salmon and Trout. Also jig for them with pinheads and mousies, #18 hook and a slip bobber on a jigging rod.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:50 PM »
friend caght a 14 inch rainbow in 5 feet of water on a medium shiner over weeds this saturday. take a look at my post, the rainbows in it.

Offline crappiegirl15

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater bozak!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2007, 01:14 AM »
always had luck with mealworms and a little bit of powerbait right under the ice and kind of make a line going from the shore inward as they tend to cruise the perimiter. small shiners worked good on brookies in the past.
Ice Freak

Offline mgarvey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:45 AM »
I jig with a swedish pimple with a meal worm. For rainbow fish in water under 10' and fish just a couple of feet under the water. I find I have better luck if I stay close to shore.

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2007, 06:47 AM »
for me trout fishing and salmon fishing is completely different.  For the Salmon i like to fish from 2-4 feet  down and even up to 8ft down.  And i will use shiners from pin heads to smalls.  On size 1 J-hooks.   8-10 lb flourocarbon

Now for trout  If its rainbows I will go down to 15 ft.  and again i will use pinheads to small shiners along with night crawlers, and mealie worms. I will use a size 8-6 hook for these.  4-6 lb flourocarbon.

For Browns i will fish from the top to 55' down.  I will use a med to large shiner.  on 6lb flourocarbon I like to use a size 1 hook.

What Lake do you plan on fishing??? and if you dont want to tell me how deep is the lake???
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2007, 07:21 AM »
I know this question has been brought up before ( kinda ) but what do you guys use when fishing for trout and salmon, and at what depths?

I was thinking real shallow in the sand, or real deep.
We will either be at Peters ponds or long pond in plymouth ( ice permitting)
Also, floating power bait, like i would in the spring for trout, around 2 feet of the bottem.
Or Small shiners?

As of 1600 yesterday...peters and most of the Cape ponds are wide open. Damn wind keeps messing everything up. I try to update folks everyday so look for the "cape Ice starting to freeze"thread

Mack

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:10 AM »
Woops i missed that you posted the pond on their.  With all this cold i would hope that those ponds would freeze back up and be safe, but i am not from that area so i dont know anything except that it is cold as hell.
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:13 PM »
I went to Peters at 2:00 today (at the boat ramp) and 2 guys were fishing.  I didn't check it until today and there is 5 inches of some really clear ice at the boat basin. The whole cove is frozen over now.  I actually hung out with them and fished for an hour or so. Nothing biting but I had a good time for being on the ice first time this year!

Mack

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.