The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Richmond Pond  (Read 2263 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Richmond Pond
« on: Mar 01, 2020, 07:14 PM »
I tried ice fishing Richmond Pond in Richmond for the first time today.

(My younger son baled on me at the last minute . . . Et tu, Brute?)

I arrived around 11:30 AM.  It was mostly sunny,  cold (temps in the low 20's) and windy (20 mph, although it subsided to 10 mph later in the afternoon).

There was about a foot of ice on the Pond itself . . . but the edges were surprisingly sketchy.

I entered from the Town Beach/boat launch side on the north end and walked out about 3/4 of the way to the Boys Club (S/SW) end.

Two guys (set up a few hundred yards to my SE) headed off the ice shortly after I got there. 

Three more (Jim, Mark and Mike) just a little ways to my east - - who had been targeting perch but ended up catching three good sized rainbows instead - - left around 12 noon. 

That left me pretty much alone on the Pond for the rest of the day - - except for two guys on an ATV who were fishing the deep water toward the SE end of the Pond.

I chopped a couple holes and recycled some that the threesome left and set up a couple tip ups (baited with shiners), two dead sticks (one baited with a shiner and one with a night crawler) and a jig stick (baited with a butter worm).

Fishing was slow.  Over the course of the day, I caught an average sized (14") pickerel on a tip up and a half dozen mediocre (7" to 9") perch (one on a tip up, a couple on my dead stick baited with a night crawler, and three on my jig stick).

I also had something strike my other dead stick and strip the shiner several times - - all without even knocking it off the bucket I had it balanced on.

Around 12:30 PM, I walked back to my car and pulled out my chuck wagon.

Lunch was tortilla soup, a couple lamb chops with sriracha mayo, a salad with buttermilk ranch dressing, some aloo mutter (potatoes and peas in a tomato sauce with Indian spices), asparagus, a small bottle of homemade wine (a dandelion/peach/pear/pomegranate blend), some Japanese peanuts, an orange, a pot of hot coffee (with milk and sugar) and some chocolate chip cookies.

Around 4 PM, I hauled my chuck wagon back to the car and got out my skis and traveled out to the SE corner of the pond to check out my two neighbors with the ATV. 

However, as I began skiing toward them around 4:30 PM, the pair picked up their gear and started heading out.

They nearly got stuck when the ice broke under their ATV on the edge of the Pond as they tried to exit on the edge of the eastern shore. 

Fortunately for them, the ATV had a winch, which they secured to a tree and used it to haul their ATV off the Pond and onto the beach.

I skied back to tip ups and dead sticks, and then back to my car, where I changed back into my ordinary boots.

I fished for another hour, and left around 6 PM, just as it was getting truly dark.

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Richmond Pond
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2020, 07:22 AM »
I always enjoy your detailed reports.

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2020, 09:32 AM »
I agree, love his reports. I keep fishing and hunting logs. I wish my notes were as detailed as Jim’s.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2020, 07:26 PM »
I went out there Saturday and bailed. Edges around the boat launch were way too sketchy for my liking.

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2020, 08:15 AM »
Was on there yesterday.4 bows a big pickeral and a bunch of dink (4inch.)perch.best day this year.first time ive ever ice fished it.pretty lake.3 out 4 bows caught jigging.

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2020, 06:40 AM »
Nice work Bob.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2020, 08:29 AM »
Was on there yesterday.4 bows a big pickeral and a bunch of dink (4inch.)perch.best day this year.first time ive ever ice fished it.pretty lake.3 out 4 bows caught jigging.

Those electronics doing you any good for jigging?
westernmas on the finder

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2020, 06:47 AM »
I brought the unit and forgot the battery on the charger!!!duh. But i have used it everytime ive been out.helps me find em, wish it would force them to bite .

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2020, 03:09 PM »
How was the ice? Did you enter at the boat launch?

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2020, 06:57 AM »
Ice was about 10 in.went on right at the ramp.you would need a plank now im sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.