Author Topic: Jiffy augers on sale at Can Tire  (Read 4013 times)

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy augers on sale at Can Tire
« on: Dec 29, 2010, 03:46 PM »
December 31 - January 5, 8 inch Jiffy Gas augers $349, regular $449.
Good Luck and Good Fishing to You!!!

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jiffy augers on sale at Can Tire
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:59 PM »
Good price...but who would want a jiffy ;D

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:01 PM »
Kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing I guess.  For budget conscious folks Jiffy and Eskimo sure bet a hand crank!!

And it is the cheapest I have seen locally.

Offline eyedrinkrye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:03 PM »
I have an older Jiffy with the 10" bit and love it.Second pull every time.

RIDGE RUNNERS RULE!!!

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Not to start a flame thread, but I have heard the new Jiffy is a lower quality motor than the older ones.  (much like everything else)
Still a great price for the casual angler.

I just got a new Eskimo....time will tell.

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:12 PM »
The Eskimo Mako from Costco is a good choice for the price conscious buyer for $300, and my friend is pretty happy with his.

If I was to replace now my 20 year old Jiffy 30 that is what I would get.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:15 PM »
lmao...my son in law owns a small engine repair shop... says the yellow ones is the ones he see's the least of..... ;) ;D

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Mako is what I have.  My friend bought  a three year old Jiffy still in the box at a pawn shop lat winter.  It is a much heavier feeling machine then the newer Jiffy to me.

Again this is from me a guy who hand cranked Chalet 5 times last winter. :P

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:18 PM »
lmao...my son in law owns a small engine repair shop... says the yellow ones is the ones he see's the least of..... ;) ;D

Fair enough, but that does depend on which one sells the most.  My mechanic sees a lot of Toyotas here, because there are a lot of Toyotas.

They are all good, and it is all about what a guy can afford these days, and how often he uses it.

Good fishing to you my friend.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Fair enough, but that does depend on which one sells the most.  My mechanic sees a lot of Toyotas here, because there are a lot of Toyotas.

They are all good, and it is all about what a guy can afford these days, and how often he uses it.

Good fishing to you my friend.
he sells husky chain saws and simplity mowers and snow throwers etc..etc..... doesnt sell augers but hes a wiz with the wrenchs so everybody grabs him fer fix its....and i agree on yer post...cash is a factor ...my stx pro is a champ  i will be buryed with it ;D..my cuz has a strikemaster and he wudd trade his wife before it...different strokes for different folks... ;) ;D...good fishing to you too buddy... :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:37 PM »
Great points.....on that point my 3 year old Simplicity snow-blower has been in the shop 7 times, and is in the shop right now.

Nobody seems to be able to fix it and it ticks me off.  Could have bought three Walmart snowblowers for the same price.

But, that is yet another issue, inconsistency.  I buy an Eskimo and tell you it is great.  You take my advice and buy one that was built on the day after the Super Bowl and it is garbage. :(

Offline eyedrinkrye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Holehawg your cuz must really like his wife. I have a few buddies that would trade their wife for the juice that is left in the container when all of the saltys are gone.LOL....

RIDGE RUNNERS RULE!!!

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:20 AM »

Statisically the most common auger in the shop would have to be the most common model out on the ice ... as there are just a whole lot of them to break down. With this said I must admit I've been a Jiffy guy for 20 plus years ;D. Weight will be the determining factor when buying my next auger :).

FF

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:04 AM »
While I've had a Jiffy for years, I can't say that the older style Tecumseh powerhead are all that reliable.  EVERY year (now going on 11 years) I've had to take the carb apart and clean it, otherwise it won't run worth a damn.  Yes I use stabil and fogging oil and the machine is well maintained.

By contrast, I've used a Husqvarna 225AI Ice Auger with a 8" drill with zero problems - ever.  I've started and ran it with two year old gas and it runs like a top.  Starts in ANY temperature.  Not sure how powerful it would be with a 10" drill, but the 8" drill with laser blades still cuts like butter after 5 years of use.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:06 AM »
Wow, how did a thread about a sale on Jiffy augers turn into Vs. thread.

I bought my JIffy at Canadian Tire about 5 years ago, and it runs like a dream

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:11 AM »

Whoops - no kidding.

BTW, the one on sale is the newer powerhead, correct?

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2010, 01:24 PM »

Sadly it was I that high jacked this thread :-\. Check the second post from the top ;D.

Purchased my present Jiffy Mod. 30 from Canadian Tire about 5 winters ago. I believe I payed the same as they are apparently listed on sale for today. Our first Jiffy simply wore out after many winters of hard use between 3 guys. My only gripe with them is the weight of the unit. Not a big deal when your younger but as middle age approaches things just hurt a bit more.

FF

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2010, 02:56 PM »
The one at CT is the newer powerhead.  I read somewhere that it two years ago.

Anybody who wants to try my old hand auger will quickly love theirs whether it is a Jiffy, Eskimo, Strikemaster......

Anyway......Good luck to all!!!!!  No matter what you got.

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:49 PM »
  Noticed some boxes said "refurbished"??

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:55 PM »
  Noticed some boxes said "refurbished"??

Interesting, it did not say that online on their website.  Good eye!!  Was it all or just some of them??

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:47 PM »
I got a Jiffy last year in the U.S.It has been great.second pull to start it with last years gas.drianed it after that and ran some Sea Foam in the next tank.I do the same with all my toys and never have a problem.The new Jiffy is not Tecomse and I'm sure I can get it fixed,if ever needed,just as easy as one from Costco.Also my buddy has an old Jiffy that he will even admit to never takeing care of, and it works every time he goes out.

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:51 PM »

Interesting, it did not say that online on their website.  Good eye!!  Was it all or just some of them??
Not too sure to be honest, it looked like the new mdl 30 with 10 inch were $449 I think and the sale items had different powerheads and were $350 and marked refurbished.  They had refurbished "stealth" mdls there as well.  This was at the Kenaston store.  Piles of different mdls new and refurbished.  All were marked with same warranty though, still not a bad deal I believe.

Offline fishin_guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:10 PM »
Bought a 10" steath stx from CT.   Started right out of the box on the second pull.  Sure put a smile on my face after trying to work with my eskimo auger.  I think all my eskimo needs is the recoil working better.  Think it will be for sale soon.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:26 AM »
Yea I have heard that some Eskimos have recoil issues.  My brand new one even requires a "sweet spot" pull pas the compression point or you rip your fingers off.  The new recoils are not as forgiving as the old ones.

Friend of mine had an old electric that we used to attach to the truck battery, that thing was great, as long as you had a truck there!!

Sounds to me like they are all pretty decent, but like everything else, they are hit and miss.

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:36 AM »
No recoil issues what so ever with the new Eskimo's. I know several that have new ones, myself included. There's CAN"T be any compression, there's a compression button that you have to press down prior to starting. Don't try pulling without pressing the compression button though.....bye-bye shoulder. The new ones are very high compression motors. This is on the larger motors, not sure about the 'dinkers' as I wouldn't buy one of those.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:46 AM »
I think the compression buttons are limited to the bigger ones....thus the smaller one could be pulled at the wrong time which could screw up the recoil, I guess.  Mine is a Mako, and if it has a compression release button, I did not find it yet.  Mind you I have only started it a few times in the yard.

It started first pull out of the box, which impressed me.  As long as a person actually follows the starting procedure, I think they all start fine.

I find doing a slow pull just through the compression, then a quick tug and it fires up with basically  a half-pull.

Runs a lot better than my hand auger!!!!  Pulling a rope versus twisting for ten minutes is nice!!!

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:49 AM »
Every once in a while I get some wicked kick back in my Jiffy 3hp.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Most high compression small motors will do that.  It is just a matter of where it is in the cycle when it shuts off, or where you pull it to.
The compression form these 2-3 hp motors nowadays is pretty extreme.

Many people will never notice it, just because....

My buddy was cursing his new 10-horse Honda outboard until I explained to him how to start it.  He was getting either  shoulder pull or kickback, but once he found the sweet spot, his 8 year old can pull start it.

Just put a Honda 5 horse on the old roto-tiller and it is the same way.

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:25 AM »
Good to know, I thought the Makos had the compression check button too....me bad. Guess it's only the Z line ones.
Good advise on finding the sweet spot in the compression. Will save someone a recoil or pull cord if they read & understand it. Thanks for posting; know tons of guys who don't know this & abuse their machines & wonder why they don't stand up (all makes). They just grab & rip at 'er.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Last weekend at EOM, 3 guys came out,set up a little away from me. one just got a new mako for christmas. First pull, I mean one pull, I hear PING, and then a whole bunch of swearing. His buddy comes over and asks if I can drill some holes for them. The recoil broke in half. The break was clean. Poor casting. The guy was not impressed at all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.