Author Topic: January or February  (Read 1363 times)

Offline bucknuts

• IceShanty Rookie
January or February
« on: Oct 10, 2017, 08:18 AM »
Looking for some helpful advice. I have a good friend that lives in CDA who has been begging me to come out and visit. I'm an avid ice fisherman and finally have an opportunity to make the trip. I would like to target mostly cold water species like Lake Trout and Rainbows and Salmon...as always the bigger the better. Main question is, should I make the 2 week trip in mid January or mid February? Also which lakes near CDA would be best to target? He has a local friend that ice fishes so I should be able to borrow most of the larger gear that I can't take from home but they both will have to work during the weekdays so I would also enjoy meeting and fishing with anyone who would be willing to share expenses and knowledge. Thank you all in advance.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: January or February
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2017, 12:26 AM »
Let me say right off, this is not an attempt to discourage you.

Lake Coeur D'Alene has what you are after, it's deep with a high flow-through. It's a rare season it freezes over the deep water enough for safety afoot!

50 miles north, at Sandpoint is Lake Pend Oreille, 107 miles around, eleven hundred fifty three feet deep in one spot. RARELY is it safe except in a few shallow bays, has flow-through from the Clark Fork River via the Cabinet Gorge Dam (hydro electric). The larger fish are out there at distances up to several miles and often far down.

The best time for large fish is unfortunately open water.

Many small lakes have easy access but, wall hangers are rare.

Timing is always a guess so, if the fickle weather is summer style, plan on a boat.

The lake record here is a bit over 37 pound rainbow.

The beautiful area is astounding.

Good luck, bring a camera.

Enjoy.

Tom

Offline bucknuts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2017, 04:14 PM »
Thanks Gator. I will defiantly be coming this winter either mid Jan or mid Feb. I dont necessarily have to catch record size fish or exactly the species I mentioned.  What about Priest Lake and Lake Trout, any trout really. I will be there for a 2 week trip and would like to spend 10+ days ice fishing.
Thanks again

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2017, 01:37 AM »
Priest Lake has good sized fish.   I'm wishing you good ice.   
Reason being ~ Don't become a headline.    ;)2

Tom

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Lots of trout in Cocolalah and Round near Sandpoint if you target them.  Perch galore too.  Big northerns can be a waiting game worth pursueing on lakes near CD.  The south end of CD freezes for pike most of the time.  Lakers on Priest are easy jigging white tubes if it freezes over.  Check all the past post here and plan to expand your fishing to maybe finicky pannies while setting traps for trout or pike.

Offline bucknuts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2017, 07:13 PM »
Thanks Bull, I'm still trying to figure out if Mid Jan or Mid Feb is best. I will have time this weekend to really read a lot of the older posts. My buddy has an suv I will be borrowing and see myself making some road trips to Priest and maybe camping out and possibly running down to cascade for a guided trip, especI ally if someone wants to share go and share expenses. Would be great to have some local knowledge and company.
Thanks again

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:27 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.