Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431484 times)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #450 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Y gas station I was talking about.  And that ramp is heaved in and out of commison for the year.  All the other ones north of that are plowed in thanks guys :-[.  Only ramp passible is the Marsh one in the S.E corner.  For that end of the lake.  After this storm nothing may be passible :-\
Theyre talking 8+ inches now.  Bring a shovel if you drive out :laugh:

Offline marble-eye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #451 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:33 PM »
The yellows were on this morning, bait wouldnt sink fast enough! Afternoon was alright picked up a few eyes no keepers though. :( Evening bite was good whites, walleyes, and yellows. Dont think I will make it out tommorow, sure will try!

Offline Chris868

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #452 on: Dec 18, 2008, 09:23 PM »
Any parts of the lake good for pike and walleyes both?  Never fished clear lake before so I am a newbie to the lake! Any info would be great! :tipup:

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #453 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:27 PM »
Pike are hit and miss on the lake.  Theres no specific way of targeting them.  Except throwing down a big bait and crossing yur fingers.  Youd be more likely to get a muskie or a 10lb eye.

Offline marble-eye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #454 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Yellows today again,  few walleyes no keepers yet :'( where are they? ???. Morning bite was great today. A bit chilly later in the day still managed to catch 40+ yellows!!  ;D

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #455 on: Dec 20, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Just finished cooking (and eating  ;D) a batch of fish, fries, and hush puppies.  This is the first meal in a while that I got no complaints from the wife and kids.
     Lost a really nice walleye in the hole today.  It hit a #3 chubby darter in the regular Dace color.  Everyone raves about the bright colors, but I've done better on Dace and regular Perch than any others. Did get a keeper walleye on a perch colored crippled herring.  Yellows wanted verticle jigs rather than horizontal, which for me was a switch.  All in all, pretty good fishing today, but I have to work tomorrow.  I might go out after work if the weather allows.  Good luck guys!

Mike
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #456 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:43 PM »
You have got to be kidding me that you guys caught anything.  My report is to follow.  Where were you fishing at?  I seen houses at the north aerator, farmers beach (where I fished), and I am guessing Gilmore's reef, if that is east of the island between Billy's reef.  I might have to hook up with you guys sometime as I have absolutely no luck out there.

My report:
I was supposed to go to a Fishing Minnesota get together today, but with the blizzard I decided to stay closer to home and went to the dead sea or I mean Clear lake. I knew going in the odds were against me. I drove out at the Farmers Beach access about 9am and went out to the tent city out there. I fished in about 10 feet of water with 14 inches of good ice, with the snow about 6 inches deep. As expected not much was happening as I only had two small bites, just enough to wiggle the spring bobber. Once the wind switched from the south to the west I left as it was time for the blizzard arounf 1:30pm.

I did see the neatest permanent fish house though. It was a round poly bulk tank a farmer would use to haul fertilizer. It was probably 1000 - 2000 gallons probably much more, but either way it would have been neat to check it out inside

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #457 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:16 PM »
Bullhead,
     I was on Farmers and set up by 6:30.  I caught a lot more fish before 9:00 than after.  I was off the ice by 11:00.  As far as where to fish, i think the walleyes would be better on the reefs right now.  I wanted soome yellow for dinner and I think the am bite on Farmers is better, but the chance for a nice walleye isn't good.  Last year I bet I caught 15 short walleys for every kepperon Farmers.  Island Reef, Gilmores, and Dodges coughed up a lot more walleyes for mne, but fewer yellows.  Both walleyes I tangled with this morning were bigger than anything I pulled out of Farmers.  This was my 4th time out and my first keeper eyes.
     As far as walleyes, I marked some fish early but couldn't get them to bite.  It was full light before I found a pattern that worked.  I switched jigs 6 or 8 times before I lost a keeper in the hole.  I got him to hit by working a chubby darter fast and aggressively, slowing down, slowing down more, and finally just lifting and dropping a few inches.  He sat for several minutes before he finally grabbed the darter and it wasn't a strike, the rod just got heavy.  20 minutes later I iced one about 19 inches doing the same thing with a crippled herring.  It seemed like you really needed to move the jig fast and then just keep slowing down.  I missed 2 other strikes over the period and switched from the heavy single hook to a treble and caught a dink walleye.  It was over by 9:00.  I caught all yellows after that.  I switched to a lighter rig concentrating on yellows and put a tip up out.  Never got a flag, but had a yellow that didn't trip when I picked up.  If I were to fish tomorrow, I'd hit Farmers early and pick up at 9:00 and go to the aerator or maybe Rice Lake.  As it is, I have to work, and will try to figure out a night bite strategy.  Good luck and keep the faith.  Last year the week of Xmas was really good fishing.

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #458 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:43 AM »
ok been trying to make the hushpuppys for years   but nevre had any luck    so  please tell me how you make them   right   

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #459 on: Dec 21, 2008, 08:29 AM »
     Hushpuppies are simple.  1 c corn meal, 1 c flour, 1 tsp salt, 3 tsp baking powder, 2 eggs and enough milk to make a stiff mix.  I add cayenne and old bay, but that's a preference.  You can also use baking mix instead of flour and baking powder.
     They come out with the consistency of a corn muffin.  Some people make them more doughy by using less corn meal and more flour.

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #460 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Oh yeah please drive slow on the ice.  There was a truck that zipped on by the tent within 15 yards on the plowed road and the ice was cracking and popping real bad.  I was almost ready to get the heck out of the tent as fast as I could.

Also thanks to those who plow the roads out there it is much appreciated.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #461 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:53 AM »
Martha White hush puppie mix at your walmart.  Pretty good.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #462 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:15 PM »
Were gonna re open the road we made out from the S.e ramp tommorow more than likely.

Offline marble-eye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #463 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:48 PM »
We jumped around from farmers to gillmores, usually get on the ice around 5am fishing is alot better in the am hours! Fished the north end a week ago, just a few yellows. Sticking to the south shore for now. What do you fish in Bullhead ? If we see you out sometime well let you know where we are goin!

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
« Reply #464 on: Dec 22, 2008, 11:18 PM »
Looks like the weather is going to be fair this weekend.  Hope the temps stay below frezzing but not to far below.  Gonna be up on sat and fish sunday into the afternoon.  Would farmers be the best way to access the lake on foot.  Don't think I will drive my little chev on the lake with the amount of snow you guys got. :o  From what it sounds like it might be better fishing on some of the other reefs but acessibility is probably gonna be the main priority.

Tight lines :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Cris ;)

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #465 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:10 PM »
Would a guy be able to get around fairly well on a 4 wheeler or is the snow to deep?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #466 on: Dec 24, 2008, 01:04 PM »
The drifts are so hard I seen a 4 wheeler driving over top of them.  So that being said I dont think youd have much of a problem.  We have a road running out from the S.e ramp to gillmores.  Spent 2 hrs last nite opening her up.  Got stuck 5 times in a diesel250.  Some waist high rock solid drifts out there and its only December! :o

Offline Snow Dog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #467 on: Dec 24, 2008, 02:09 PM »
Whats the ice thickness on the lake? Thinking of coming up there Friday or Saturday and was woundering if it would be safe to drive my Ford F150 on the ice.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #468 on: Dec 24, 2008, 04:51 PM »
Whats the ice thickness on the lake? Thinking of coming up there Friday or Saturday and was woundering if it would be safe to drive my Ford F150 on the ice.

Im going to say if he was plowing snow on the lake with a 250 diesel, its fine to drive your F150 out. 

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #469 on: Dec 24, 2008, 05:31 PM »
hey crappiebuster im coming your way friday and lookin to stay till sunday know any cheap motels i can plug in the vex and get some shut eye in or around clear?  ill remeber the barley water i owe ya.  hey is your shack still down by farmers?  just wondering were you are so i can return the favor. 
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #470 on: Dec 24, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Were on Gilmores now got sick of all the dink eyes and consistant yellows at farmers.  I like eating yellows dont get me wrong but they arent as gratyfying as pulling an 18+ inch eye outta the ice.  Yeh an F-150 is fine.  Weve been driving full sizes out for 2+ weeks now.  I had my truck out the first week of december.  Diesels and one tons were out 2+ weeks ago also.  Bring a shovel and extra beer its an adventure out there.

Cr rick...theres a no tell motel for reasonable rates over by the surf and O.p.  recently remodled id stay there.

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #471 on: Dec 25, 2008, 06:32 AM »
Don't forget about the Silver Boot on the east side next to Rumor's. ;)

Offline cyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #472 on: Dec 25, 2008, 09:06 PM »
Found and fished billy's reef last saturday, no action but we didn't stay late.  Gilmores is poppin some good eyes then?

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #473 on: Dec 27, 2008, 09:35 AM »
Can a guy still drive out from Famers Beach with the melting or is it too slushy?

Thanks
whip2

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #474 on: Dec 27, 2008, 10:14 AM »
Can a guy still drive out from Famers Beach with the melting or is it too slushy?

Thanks
whip2

Yes they're driving out from Farmers. There's some standing water on top of the road out to where they have shacks but with the colder weather coming that should freeze up fast. There's alot more people out fishing today after the big melt yesterday. They have a nice road plowed out from the southeast corner out to Gilmore's.

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #475 on: Dec 27, 2008, 12:35 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply Blue. Saves a little driving for us out of towners.

whip2

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #476 on: Dec 27, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Well, we made the over 2 hour drive today. We drove on at Farmers--lots of water still on the road until you get to the shacks. We drilled a lot of holes. My buddy got two nice yellows and lost two more--that was it. Did get to see the 10 pound walleye in the tank at the Crazy Minnow--very nice fish. Really disapointing we did not find a few more fish--but there will be other days! Tried Cornelia on the way home for the first time and got zip.

--Whitey

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #477 on: Dec 27, 2008, 07:24 PM »
Went out today just N.E. of the island. Dropped the AquaView down right away and saw a nice Muskie. That was the only fish we saw in 3 hours. The melt made a messs of the plowed road. 2 wheel drives beware!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #478 on: Dec 27, 2008, 11:50 PM »
We moved our shack off of Gillmores today due to 12-14 inches of water around the shack. :-\  It was pretty hairy to say the least if we wouldnt have gotten her today shed be froze in something fierce.  Set up in deeper water off the island for now.  Wait for her to harden back up and then start moving around again in search of the hawgs.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #479 on: Dec 28, 2008, 05:30 AM »
I was out Saturday just NE of the island. Fished for 4 hours and ended up with nothing. It's easy walking out now after the snow melt. 16" of ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.