Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431499 times)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #390 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:26 PM »
Yeh she was skinny for 22.  Dont think theres much forage in the lake.  Not much of a belly on her.

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #391 on: Dec 09, 2008, 12:27 PM »
Thinking about making a trip this weekend.. how has the night bite been?
Pool 9 Pro

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #392 on: Dec 09, 2008, 12:44 PM »
How bad did this storm mess things up?

--Whitey

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #393 on: Dec 09, 2008, 02:44 PM »
How bad did this storm mess things up?

--Whitey

Still digging out here today... >:(  Hope to get back on the lake here in a day or two...  ice was about 10" off of Farmers on Sunday.  I will post and let you guys know once I get back out there unless someone beats me to it.

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #394 on: Dec 09, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Hope most of the snow blew clear of the lake! We got a sheet of ice instead of snow--yuck.

--Whitey

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #395 on: Dec 09, 2008, 03:48 PM »
And I was so looking forward to driving out this weekend. >:(

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #396 on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:59 PM »
on the other hand............. that means less fishing pressure for the ones willing to brave the storm.         see you out there, hopefully.            my shacks a little heavy to pull on foot.      a bit of snow for the atvs but i bet a snowmobile could cut it.  went out sunday morning, about 5:30 AM alone, if i didnt have an ice anchor my portable would have ended up on the other side of the lake with me inside it. WINDY  no joke and not funny, would be pretty dangerous for some.  didnt have any battles with anything too heavy but did catch dinner.  been sort of busy with tracking/spotting deer this last week or so, anyone get anything for first shotgun season?          good luck         does anyone have a plow?    nice eye crappiebuster

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #397 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:31 AM »
It was -5 when I woke up at 6:30 this morning.  Even with the snow those temps will build it.  I got someone with a plow lined up but he waits for around 14 inches beings he's 10,000+ lbs.  Tonite or Thursday night were hooking on with the wheeler and dragging our shack out.  Or if its an even 10 off of farmers we'll hook on her with the truck and drag her out.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #398 on: Dec 10, 2008, 09:25 AM »
good to hear, sounds like a beast. ill throw in some $ for gas when he needs it.  let me know.

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #399 on: Dec 10, 2008, 09:28 AM »
ive usually got one of my three plows out there. i drove the biggest diesel ive got out yesterday, and were going to wait for a little more ice for that, but ill plow a path or two

Offline dgalli

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #400 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:08 AM »
Has anyone been out along North shore by the Baptist camp pump house or around down town?  Would think there's enough ice over there by now if you got 10" off Farmers. 

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #401 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:41 AM »
Heard from someone leaving farmers this morning that he was fishing on 8.  Never went out to punch a hole though.  It was pretty friggin cold (4 above). The ramp was drifted and heaved in bad though gonna have to wait for a plow to bust her before anyone thinks about driving out. Went out on the east end to check the ice a few hundred yards out off the marsh ramp and found 11 inches of good ice the whole way out.  Another inch or two and everyone will be driving out. Theres not as much snow on the east end.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #402 on: Dec 10, 2008, 12:01 PM »
i was watching in your backyard iowa the other day and rob was using a marcum or vex on top of the ice without drilling a hole.  he cleared the snow from a spot on the ice, put a little water down, and set the transducer on the wet spot.  any one done this?

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #403 on: Dec 10, 2008, 12:14 PM »
i was watching in your backyard iowa the other day and rob was using a marcum or vex on top of the ice without drilling a hole.  he cleared the snow from a spot on the ice, put a little water down, and set the transducer on the wet spot.  any one done this?

You bet...works like a charm.  I actually spit on the ice ;)

Offline 515deerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bobbers down
« Reply #404 on: Dec 10, 2008, 12:16 PM »
every time i go dont drill less i want to fish there find depth fish and cover first

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #405 on: Dec 10, 2008, 12:38 PM »
As long as the ice isnt milky it works well.

Offline IceHaus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #406 on: Dec 10, 2008, 12:56 PM »
As long as the ice isnt milky it works well.

Yeah, I look for old holes that have iced back up. They're normally good, clear ice. Having water on hand isn't always possible, but important. The bottom of the transducer has to be "submerged". I have to admit that I've spit a few times too.  There's one other way I can think of producing "water", and after several beers, there's plenty of it. ;)

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #407 on: Dec 10, 2008, 06:30 PM »
Im planning on coming up tomorrow or Fri.Is the snow to deep to walk(don't have a sled or atv) Also where is farmers at? I know the Island, Dodge point and where the Baptist camp is but thats about it. Not willing to spend the day walking so would it be worth coming up?

Offline W_Morrison

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #408 on: Dec 10, 2008, 06:39 PM »
Hey I have never fished clear before, thinking about coming up on the 20th.  Where are the good spots for the eyes, and how do I get there.  Also gonna be walking, is there good spots within walking distance.  Thanks for the info.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #409 on: Dec 10, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Got her out today finally.  On the east end by the open water :-\.  Just so happens to be right by my spot!  Got on to the smaller eyes so im not far off!  This weekend theres gonna be some beers drowned and walleyes caught in that contraption.

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
« Reply #410 on: Dec 10, 2008, 09:24 PM »
Sweet pic crappiebuster ... love those old campers as shacks!  I'm amazed the Rincon (I think) could pull that across the lake with the snow you all had up there.

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #411 on: Dec 10, 2008, 11:16 PM »
SHE SURE IS PRETTY :-*

Thats 1968 in her best! Shasta Low Flite!

That is a Honda atv...

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #412 on: Dec 11, 2008, 05:19 AM »
Hey I have never fished clear before, thinking about coming up on the 20th.  Where are the good spots for the eyes, and how do I get there.  Also gonna be walking, is there good spots within walking distance.  Thanks for the info.
Your best bet is to stop at the Crazy Minnow in Clear lake, he has maps and he will show you exactly where to go to find the eyes. Just Google Crazy Minnow Clear Lake, Iowa

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #413 on: Dec 11, 2008, 05:51 AM »
Google has the wrong address for the Crazy Minnow, it's: 504 Highway 18 West Clear lake, Iowa

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #414 on: Dec 11, 2008, 09:08 AM »
Yeh thats an 08 rubicon.  Was gonna go with the rincon but that has independent rear suspension and cant tow squat.  Figured ice fishing your towing heavy loads and needed the solid rear axle.  Just stuck her in low and d2 and she stomped right through it all.  It was her first test and she passed it with flying colors.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #415 on: Dec 11, 2008, 12:52 PM »
 How far is it from the ice to the floor of your mobile hut?  Or does it lower to the lake?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #416 on: Dec 11, 2008, 01:07 PM »
Around 8 inches in front.  And more in the back.  Shes a pretty deluxe rig for fishing.  You get spoiled pretty easy fishing out of that.  Furnace,tv,dvd,stove,oven coffee pot cold beer and warm feet it cant be beat! ;)  Heading over there right now to try and get on em. :tipup:

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #417 on: Dec 11, 2008, 09:01 PM »
Well it was getting around that time... Figured i'd do it today. Heck of alot easier unloading. :tipup:
I'd wait a week at least for the diesels though :P

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #418 on: Dec 11, 2008, 09:36 PM »
  Is the space between the hut and the hole open to the elements or do have a cut-off 5 gallon pale wedged in between the camper and ice.  Thinking of buying on of those campers.  Just unsure how to rig it for ice fishing.  How many holes?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #419 on: Dec 11, 2008, 09:39 PM »
Yep 5 gallon buckets as inserts.  Ive seen people go the pvc route but that stuff is pretty pricey. 4 holes in front 4 holes in back.  Theyre a little close but it works.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.