Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431497 times)

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #240 on: Mar 12, 2008, 05:25 AM »
Chad you'd probably of had better luck if you didn't take Dale along.  Hes kind of a jinx ya know. ;)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #241 on: Mar 12, 2008, 10:02 AM »
All I caught out there yesterday was a buzz! Hammed up on the hamms :laugh:

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #242 on: Mar 12, 2008, 10:39 AM »
Just got back from Clear lake.   The fishing was lousey for us!   We fished N.E of the island from 4:30 til dark and we only caught one little walleye,  drilled about 25 holes and tried to stay on the move???  No yellows.   At dark we moved to the north side of the lake to try for some eyes and only managed one more small one.  Fished til 9:15 and packed up for home.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #243 on: Mar 12, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Just got back from Clear lake.   The fishing was lousey for us!   We fished N.E of the island from 4:30 til dark and we only caught one little walleye,  drilled about 25 holes and tried to stay on the move???  No yellows.   At dark we moved to the north side of the lake to try for some eyes and only managed one more small one.  Fished til 9:15 and packed up for home.

For some reason my last post with the quote didn't go through. I have found out it's best to find a spot and wait them out instead of moving around for the yellows. They move around in schools and with anytime you go you either hit or miss the bite as I have found out many times also on Clear Lake.

Offline coketeck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #244 on: Mar 15, 2008, 10:43 AM »
If anyone is a trout fishermen the pond in Mason City got a fresh stocking this week. Small hook with waxy or a piece of cheese and you will have lunch in 30 minutes. Took kids down this am and let them have a blast catch and release. Always good to show a kid the outdoors. Have a safe week.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #245 on: Mar 15, 2008, 10:33 PM »
Where is the trout pond in Mason City?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #246 on: Mar 16, 2008, 01:11 PM »
No skill involved with catching them trout.  Stupid fishes :laugh:

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #247 on: Mar 16, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Not real big on the taste of the trout either, but they can be fun...

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #248 on: Mar 16, 2008, 04:55 PM »
You guys think the ice will holdout for Saturday?

--Whitey

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #249 on: Mar 16, 2008, 05:42 PM »
You guys think the ice will holdout for Saturday?

--Whitey
Without any first hand knowledge, I would say yes at Clear Lake.  There was 30 inches last week, and it hasnt been real warm today or for the rest of this week.  Im going to try to make a trip this week, Ill let you know if I get there.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #250 on: Mar 16, 2008, 05:59 PM »
hey whitey rock creek has 18 inches or so so im guessing clear would still be good to go.  my pond here in newton still has 12 on it and im killin the crappies and gills.  my craps have been from 12 to 15 inches and the gills are running 7 to 10 inches.  got a 5 lbs bass yesterday.
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #251 on: Mar 16, 2008, 07:50 PM »
Heard that the lake was a highway of trucks this weekend I think the ice up there should be good if the temp stay down.
Whitey you still up for Saturday

Brother in law fell through the Ice at Ada Hayden(IN AMES) on Saturday night. Need a 10 foot board to get to the good ice.

Be careful on the lakes and ponds south of Hwy 30 edges are getting soft.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #252 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:24 PM »
You guys going to meet up at Clear?  Maybe not true this year, but last March we fished Clear Lake pretty hard.  Seemed you may as well not even be there until about 45 minutes before dark. 

Offline whiteysheating

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #253 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:37 PM »
We went to Clear Lake on Fri night but did not have truck enough to get out on the ice. Lots of snow up there around the lake and plowed in front of the public ramps on the south and west. The little one just to the east of the island was ok with a full size truck. We fished Big Blue Pit the trout pond Sat. instead. It must have been just right out because we got and saw tons of people limit out in 20 min.  We sat there with 14 till noon throwing the little ones back hoping #15 would be huge. Must have put back 75-85 from 10"-12". No %^&!.  Best trout fishing I have had ever. No prob limiting out by 7am. Don't walk far they were biting 8 feet from shore in 4ft of water. Never sight fished in 4ft before.  What a deal. Heard the ice on the lake to be 25-30" thick from a guy at blue at noon who left to get trout instead. Not too sporty but fun as a H$)).  Big Blue is in the south of Mason City. From I 80N take the 1st Mason City exit, It has a Kum & Go. Go east maybe 6 miles past a Casey's take a left on Pierce street go 1  block north of the first stop sign. It is on the right. Easyto find from either exit. Good luck. Let us know how you do.
John Whitey

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #254 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:59 PM »
Ya Zeke--still planning on it!

--Whitey

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #255 on: Mar 17, 2008, 05:36 AM »
So whats the report Zeke & Whitey??

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #256 on: Mar 17, 2008, 07:09 AM »
Don't know Steve--not going until Saturday. But the fish were biting some at Otter!

--Whitey

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #257 on: Mar 17, 2008, 08:43 AM »
Oooops ;D

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #258 on: Mar 17, 2008, 11:15 AM »
hey old bear did you make it down to hit krumm???  did good there this weekend.  edges are soft but ice out there is still 16".  and good luck to all you heading north. 
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline Crappii

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #259 on: Mar 17, 2008, 08:26 PM »
For some reason my last post with the quote didn't go through. I have found out it's best to find a spot and wait them out instead of moving around for the yellows. They move around in schools and with anytime you go you either hit or miss the bite as I have found out many times also on Clear Lake.

Earlier this winter we did really well finding the yellows and having holes to move with them??   Seemed like you could catch 2 or 3 out of a hole and they would move.  Two of us would catch 25-30 keepers and all the small fish we released.   Tuesday we couldnt even find em.   I guess we were just in the wrong spot ???

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #260 on: Mar 18, 2008, 05:14 PM »
  Was out on the lake with the truck Sunday.  Fishing was good, 16 walleyes and one 10.5 yellow, the surprise was the bite did not start till 11:00 p.m. and even with the fish hungry we left at 1:00 a.m.  12 fow was the ticket I believe.  Gonna head back there on Wednesday, however this time we will be walking out.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #261 on: Mar 21, 2008, 11:08 AM »
How's the ice up that way guys?  Was gonna try and make one last trip up.....  The fish cooperating?

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #262 on: Mar 21, 2008, 01:38 PM »
I'm scared! going to the river!
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! Fish On!!

Offline Shadow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #263 on: Mar 22, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Ice was still pretty good but fish werent biting ,marked few (3 different spots and 30+ holes) was a total of 4 tents on clear lake today ,nice day and 1 small walleye

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Mar 22, 2008, 10:01 PM »
Shadow,, Welcome to the site The fishing gets better I promise

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #265 on: Mar 23, 2008, 07:22 AM »
Welcome Shadow, another great site here!!!

Ed

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #266 on: Mar 23, 2008, 02:12 PM »
Better late than never ;)

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #267 on: Mar 23, 2008, 11:28 PM »
Stuck one leg through the ice tonight by the aerator thank GOD it wasn't both.  Calling it quits for the year even though the ice in places is still 26" thick.  Drilled a hole out by Billy's Reef and it was instantly full of water before the auger broke through the ice.  Be careful Boys!

Offline crappieangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #268 on: Mar 24, 2008, 03:42 PM »
What does everyone think the ice will be like by this weekend?  I was there last Sat. and the ice was fine for the most part.  Couple open spots by the island and along the West shore.  I fished by the island and only caught some smaller eyes and an 11" yellow.  If you guys report we can still get on I'll try and make a trip up there Sat. night or Sun.  Anyone have any suggestions on where to fish?  Thanks for any help.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #269 on: Mar 24, 2008, 05:43 PM »
I drove by the lake this afternoon and I saw 3 guys out on farmers about 150 yards out. If it was me I wouldn't go out at all, it isn't worth the risk.  If you decide to go stay the h**l away from the aerators. The west aerator is open all the way to the south shore now. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.