Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431497 times)

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2490 on: Jan 30, 2016, 12:37 PM »
I'm not very smart about the history of the lake, but it seems to me as though you are fishing two completely different (from a structure standpoint),  but connected lakes that have to be fished completely different from each other.  Sure the fish can travel from one lake to the other, but big lake you are fishing a bowl that only has a shallow basin.  On little lake you are fishing underwater points and breaks. 

Offline D0wnbyth3r1v3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2491 on: Jan 30, 2016, 02:58 PM »
Yellows were in 7-12 fow all day. A few 8" walleyes in the mix with a occasional perch here and there. Did catch a few white bass too. Was there 930 - 2. Mobility is the key.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2492 on: Jan 30, 2016, 05:55 PM »
Can't wait to fish this lake in 2 weeks. Fishing all Saturday the 13th then I'm participating in the Yellow bass bonanza!! Came in 91st last year, hoping to a little better this year! Anyone else fishing in the tournament?

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2493 on: Jan 30, 2016, 06:08 PM »
I'll be there.  I've done it every year.  I love fishing it. 

Offline justin1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2494 on: Jan 30, 2016, 08:07 PM »
febuary 14th?  man i dont think my wife would be cool with that.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2495 on: Jan 30, 2016, 09:00 PM »
Fishing it as well. Came in 25th last year and I can say I have much more confidence this year. Know the lake better, have backup spit's and a quality auger that won't dieven after 10 holes and have been hammering good-sized yellows the past week. Tournament morning will be a blast! Hope my spots will still produce but sometimes it seems the one time you're counting on them to be there they're gone lol. Good luck to anyone fishing the tournament!

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2496 on: Jan 30, 2016, 09:10 PM »
With 250 teams it's hard to be sure you get the spot you want. There's going to be a lot of 50 fish teams

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2497 on: Jan 30, 2016, 11:49 PM »
I wanna try to stay mobile, but last year we raced off to our spot and then got surrounded by like 25 teams. Hard to hole hop when your surrounded. We got a hotel Friday night so we can get out there early in the morning Saturday and try to find our "magic" lure

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2498 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:40 AM »
They say mud bugs, I don't know how they can beat tungsten though.  I'd love to know size and color to try for mud bugs to try them.  I also like glow spoons with a dropper chain.  Have to get down fast when you find them!

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2499 on: Jan 31, 2016, 02:20 PM »
I like mud bugs but prefer dingle drops of the two. Sometimes I'll use pilkes...all depends on my mood I guess. Haven't found any of them to be better than the other...Mud Bugs pop out of their mouths easier...they tend to swallow the Dingle drop except the small and heavy design of the Dingle punches through the ice in the hole...I don't always clean out my holes and when I do its just to Clear enough ice out of to fish. Pilkes/dropper chains work well for getting down there faster and punching through the ice, just harder to feel the bite. Anyways fished Clear today, took home 3/4s a 6 gallon bucket filled. 75ish I'd say. Bite was terrible...yesterday everyone was pulling them out one after another on Farmer's and Baptists and everywhere in between...today I got some nice ones in my secret spot and tried farmers/Baptists without as much as a mark. Checked all the holes yesterday producing with not as much as a mark. Didn't see anyone else getting anything either. Was going to try little lake but someone broke through at the clearing with their truck and as I was leaving talked to another group that said they had little luck at little lake so I called it. Lots of standing water...it's a slushy/wet mess and sucks hole hopping

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2500 on: Jan 31, 2016, 06:38 PM »
Sounds like we fish em exactly the same

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2501 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:23 PM »
Bockster, I replied to your PM (twice if I sent one).  Not sure if it went through or not.  I haven't sent many PM's and can't see if I sent one under sent

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2502 on: Feb 02, 2016, 11:23 AM »
I use buckshot rattle spoons with a hali dropper. But not at Clear lake. Mostly so I can get back down there fast when the school is below. I tip with several  maggots, that way if they rip one off its not a problem. My next trip I have some powerball maggots I am going to try. I use 10# power pro with a 12# mono leader. When I have $7 worth of tackle on, I want it to come back up. You can sense every nibble with power pro
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2503 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:42 PM »
Bockster: Don't know about the permies but know of a guy who said he was going to take his wheel house off yesterday a.m. & it was gone in the p.m. off of farmers beach Also seen a pickup pull a small trailer off at farmers no planks      As far as spoons go I use them over 1/2 the time usually tipped with either several spikes or cut bait. I use slender spoons, kastmaster, buckshot or Swedish pimple all in the small size with or without dropper hooks. other times I use a mudbug Haven't tried a tungsten yet.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2504 on: Feb 02, 2016, 05:07 PM »
When I got ready to leave the lake last nite stopped to talk to a couple guys found out they were from St.Paul first trip for one second for other didn't know about thin ice between big & little lakes but they crossed there said they felt the ice give a little  anyway I directed them to the farmers beach outlet & to the interstate. I felt like I had done my good deed and maybe left a couple of fishermen a chance to fish another day.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2505 on: Feb 02, 2016, 05:12 PM »
I really wish they'd put up thin ice signs at the channel. They have them at the aerators so why not the channel?? People have put their trucks through and died at the channel in the past and still no signs? A lot of people aren't aware of the channel that aren't from around here and they cross it anyways without knowing...Even at the thin Ice signs at the ramps that show thin ice at the aeratorspot that the channel isn't marked

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2506 on: Feb 02, 2016, 05:40 PM »
I know what you mean Bockster.  I can't imagine why they can't figure that out.   IMO it wouldn't hurt if they redirected people by signs to cross the beach to get to the big lake. 

I fished the little lake and the Baptist camp area yesterday with not much for luck even though a lot of holes were drilled.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2507 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:20 PM »
Where is the Baptist Camp area located, just curious do not need hot spot info. Might need to head North again if we keep getting warm temps.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2508 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:42 PM »
Where is the Baptist Camp area located, just curious do not need hot spot info. Might need to head North again if we keep getting warm temps.
Just east of Macintosh State Park on the North shore of the main lake and west of the "pump house".
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2509 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:33 PM »
I agree with Brockster 100% How much does it cost to save a life?

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2510 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Just east of Macintosh State Park on the North shore of the main lake and west of the "pump house".

Thanks for info

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2511 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Got next two Sunday's free to fish and have had great luck at clear lake last time I was there. This weekend not a problem but the weekend after is ybb. Would it be a waste of my time to try it or do you think I will be wasting my time? What are the boundaries for the ybb?

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2512 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:57 PM »
Asked the DNR about marking channel last year....

The response was "they only mark man made areas" I.e. aerators.

If, they marked the naturally occurring areas like the channel it opens them up to lawsuits...

Makes sense in this day and age. Guy drives over rocks on island goes through he sues cause they didn't put up signs.

I would not let the YBB scare you off. There will be plenty of fish the following weekend.

Good luck
 Chris

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2513 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:12 PM »
So the east boundary for the YBB are the thin ice markers west of the irrigator by baptist correct? So if I'm east of thin ice signs I'll have it all to myself

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2514 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:26 PM »
Yes I was out there Yesterday evening and that crossing from the little lake to the big lake is no good. Had to enter from the pump house.
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2515 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:37 PM »
What's wrong with that crossing?  Will guys have to walk over for the tournament?  Chris, would there be a possibility of no ATV/Snowmobiles being allowed to cross from little lake to big lake for the tourny?  I know it's a ways off, but curious anyhow.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2516 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:50 PM »
I think I will wait until 1 pm. shouldn't have to drill any holes

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2517 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:53 PM »

Good thinking
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2518 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:58 AM »

We will have a route marked for ATV travel. Markers will go up on Friday morning for prefishing.

Thanks
Chris

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2519 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:02 AM »
Good deal, You guys do a great job!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.