Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431484 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2430 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:43 PM »
Theres some good looking depth contours in that area. Never fished there, but looking at my map that is where i would start!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline justin1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2431 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:50 PM »
I see in that above post I said "parked"  I should have said "set up our portable"   we fished out in the basin just out from the McIntosh boat ramp,  and fishing sucked.  We weren't out during a good bite time though.  Had some big marks come up and sniff,  but not bite.  And just got 4 perch.     Don't know for sure why so many huts were out there.

Offline Wavfire06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2432 on: Jan 10, 2016, 08:35 PM »
I was out early this morning and got 13 keepers in about 1 hour from 7:30 to 8:30 by 9:30 it was dead moved and couldn't get anything to bite
If u can read my coat u are to close

Offline kramz1992

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2433 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:38 PM »
The guy driving the truck drove back and forth pry 3-4 times.  And did some donuts in front of the boat ramp.  Gives some people a bad rap. But I'd say he might have deserved it.   I didn't do to bad for fishing. Came home with a bunch of yellows. Sure was cold out there the last 2 days.
If I could make a living out of ice fishing. I'd do whatever I had to make my dream come true.

Offline justin1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2434 on: Jan 10, 2016, 10:37 PM »
wasnt there a white chevy out on the ice too?

Offline bassfishineric12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2435 on: Jan 12, 2016, 04:22 PM »
I watched a gold grand am drive out

Offline ncraun35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2436 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:55 PM »
Anyone heading out tomorrow morning

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2437 on: Jan 13, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Bockster I was the one talking about the old brown f-150 last year. Apparently he's still at it haha
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline pboer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2438 on: Jan 14, 2016, 02:41 PM »
Was out from 12-2 today, caught 35 or so. Great weather. 8" ice by Baptist camp.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2439 on: Jan 14, 2016, 05:11 PM »
 Fished from 8 to noon on the little lake.  Measured ice with a tape and there was 4 inches of white on top and 8 inches of perfection under that. 
Weather was great and the fishing even better. 

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2440 on: Jan 14, 2016, 05:29 PM »
Fished from 8 to noon on the little lake.  Measured ice with a tape and there was 4 inches of white on top and 8 inches of perfection under that. 
Weather was great and the fishing even better.

Were the crappies aggressive today?

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2441 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:01 AM »
Hows the fishing for walleye on clear lake? Thinking about driving up this coming weekend. Would love to catch something other that blue gill all day!

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2442 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:25 PM »
  I have yet to find a walleye bite but again today the pan fishing was excellent.  Ice is 14" on the little lake.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2443 on: Jan 21, 2016, 03:44 PM »
How is the water quality in the Little Lake? Wasn't it a year or two ago there was a rumor going around there was some kind of spill into the lake causing mucky and smelly water? It seems people were complaining about the taste of the fish as well. I know my small group went up there & the water was quite cloudy and we didn't have much luck which was really odd for us at Clear. We also went later in mid winter and there was quite an ice cap because that was the year had like 30 some days straight of the day starting out below 0. There was some oxygen problems with really low O2 levels so the fish were probably well off the bottom & not biting.
This along with the cloudy mucky water made it quite bad. I was just wondering about the water quality.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2444 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:33 PM »
Lure disappears after two feet so clarity decent, water smells normal, and bite is great.  With 15.5 inches of ice and no snow to speak of there were plenty of fisherman out today. WT 32.   ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2445 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:05 PM »
Are you allowed to smell your own icehole or do you have to ask a buddy to do it?

Never heard of someone smelling the water, must be exclusive to clear.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2446 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:32 PM »
Lol. That's awesome!!! :o

Offline ranger185

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2447 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:47 PM »
Saw report, and pics, of a huge Muskie coming out of Clear Lake today with pics at local bait shop. It is the guy's right to keep that fish but, really, is that what ice fishing in Iowa has come to? Kill a trophy fish like that? Because you got it through some 8" hole? And get your pic taken at bait shop? Crazy. Simply crazy what some guys are thinking.
In case you didn't know, Clear Lake is a limited resource lake. You can't go every day and keep your 20 8" crappies or 1 48" Muskie or 5 15" walleye. Yellows yes as they will survive the pressure from the hordes.
Give the resource a little thought. Those of us who fish our butts off to catch a fish like that during the open water, and let it go, would appreciate it. A lot

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2448 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:26 PM »
I agree. Lots of comments were deleted from that photo including mine saying that it should have been put back. Fish like that probably take a decade to get that big!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2449 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:33 PM »
I wont mention his name because it was his right to keep it, but he did say "there are too many in the lake". He isnt going to be making many friends now that people know his name. He will be "that guy who kept the musky" to all of the locals.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2450 on: Jan 21, 2016, 09:04 PM »
I won't put his name either but I checked his profile and saw he cleans and eats muskie. Shame. Clear Lake has a higher muskie per acre then any lake in the US...From what I've been told by numerous people anyhow. The guy that kept the one today claimed it was foul hooked...I don't want to start any arguments or bash..But how do you foul hook through the ice? The largest bait anyone would use is some big lip less crank baits...No way would any little ice fishing jig cause a 50" muskie to bleed out. But anyways, I guess it is his right and there's nothing we can do about it. No sense getting worked up anymore about it. Fished little lake yesterday and ended up with 40 yellows. Fishing again this weekend for yellows and crappies. Anyone catching crappie on the south dredge cuts? I always fish the one in front of the dome house and looking to try the ones on the south side this weekend if anyone has a pointer or two? Not asking for your secret spot...just a general point in the right direction. Thanks and Happy fishing!

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2451 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:20 AM »
Are you allowed to smell your own icehole or do you have to ask a buddy to do it?

Never heard of someone smelling the water, must be exclusive to clear.
I remember when I had my first beer
If you fished this lake last year through the ice or open water (spring) there was a undoubtable smell of sewer gas in the air

Offline andypromx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2452 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:49 AM »
During the YBB last year the water smelled "musty", and the yellows I cleaned tasted just like the water smelled.  I want to go back, but I'm afraid that the fish will taste bad again.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2453 on: Jan 22, 2016, 10:06 AM »
I just ate some yellows last night and they taste find. I experienced the same thing last year with the musty smell and muddy fish flavor. The water cleared up after ice out and I haven't noticed any muddy flavor since.

Offline ranger185

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2454 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:32 PM »
Got a message on Facebook that the Musky was "hooked in the gills and bleeding badly so he decided to keep it". Well, that means he isn't fishing 2lb line for yellows. Is it live bait rigs with Dacron? Is it tip ups? If so, that isn't going to end well for the fish. Sad that this guy has come to that. No northern pike in Clear Lake.
He can keep and clean all he wants but the possession limit is exactly one. One. Might take awhile to eat a 48" fish. How many are in the freezer? Hmmmm

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2455 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:47 PM »
I love haters! Why don't you burn the guy at the stake! Clear has plenty of muskies, it will be fine that he eats one! Or two. Or three. How are you speculating what gear was used? And calling it sad the guy has come to that... If your worried about endangering muskies your wasting your time! Them things have more food and chances to grow in that lake than darn near any other place in the us!

Offline DougU

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where did I leave the extension?????
« Reply #2456 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:56 PM »
I love haters! Why don't you burn the guy at the stake! Clear has plenty of muskies, it will be fine that he eats one! Or two. Or three. How are you speculating what gear was used? And calling it sad the guy has come to that... If your worried about endangering muskies your wasting your time! Them things have more food and chances to grow in that lake than darn near any other place in the us!

Gotta go with this. Guy catches a fish legally and keeps it...........end of story.  :P

By that logic, the guy who shoots the 140+ whitetail should be burnt at the stake as well......how about the guy who catches 8"+ inch bluegill, or the trapper who gets a big bobcat? Seriously?  ::)

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2457 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:28 PM »
It's just like the walleye I caught outta the cedar this fall! People said I should got replica done... Let it go. So it can reproduce! I'm getting a skin mount! Who cares, a fish that size doesn't have too many viable eggs left anyways! It's the slot size you have to let go! That's the stock! That's why they have length limits people!

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2458 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:43 PM »
It's just like the walleye I caught outta the cedar this fall! People said I should got replica done... Let it go. So it can reproduce! I'm getting a skin mount! Who cares, a fish that size doesn't have too many viable eggs left anyways! It's the slot size you have to let go! That's the stock! That's why they have length limits people!
well said you wouldn't want your kid to have a chance at that fish would you.... fillet em all!

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2459 on: Jan 23, 2016, 10:44 PM »
I'm catch and release all year round! I don't eat fish! But I caught a 10.5lb walleye and I thought to get it mounted. I have four children, and I think about what their fishery will be like quite often! It's not the people like me you have to worry about! It's the scum with no license that catch double limits four days a week. Don't bring my children into this!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.