Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431484 times)

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2220 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:11 PM »
I didn't make it out but a buddy did. Got into a couple nice crappies but I honestly can't tell you where they set up at tonight
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2221 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:57 PM »
The way shanty holds them they always look decent. ;D

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2222 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:54 PM »
hahahaha you bet they do

Offline jdw84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2223 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:52 PM »
Hoping to bring the 4 wheeler up this weekend and fish the little lake anyone been out there lately hows the ice?

Thanks

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2224 on: Jan 09, 2015, 04:27 PM »
No idea on thickness.  I know they are driving trucks out in certain parts.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2225 on: Jan 10, 2015, 07:13 AM »
Little lake has 12" for the most part.

People venturing over to the farmers beach area you will see more variation in ice.

There were a lot of pockets open before the last freeze.

Would not recommend truck traffic over there yet.

Good luck

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2226 on: Jan 10, 2015, 11:55 AM »
We measured 13 inches last night on the little lake. Decent crappies in 22fow but they were spooky

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2227 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Drove truck out on McIntosh...Ice cracking behind was little Erie  :o Fished 21 fo. Caught about 2 dozen crappie there in about an hour, kept about 10 11-12" and threw back a bunch of smaller ones. Few smaller perch as well...Vexilar was lit up, crappies suspended 10-14 fo....Little perch/yellows laying on bottom. Walked and fished farmers, about a dozen  yellows in 4 hours out there. Didn't mark much.
Yellows=Dingle Drop and spikes
Crappie=Dingle tipped with Maki with a few spikes on top or Slender Spoons tipped with spikes

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2228 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:47 PM »
Hoping the crappie bite stays this weekend. Anybody been out these last couple days?

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2229 on: Jan 17, 2015, 10:15 PM »
Y'all give up on yellow fishing? Usually this thread is popping with yellow reports....On a side note, those crappies are taking a beating on the Little Lake. Main lake is practically empty...Some permanents, usually no more then a dozen or so out  fishing from portables...compared to the little lake with shacks fishing right on top of each other

Offline cyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2230 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:04 AM »
So those eastern Reef's are still dead huh?  I often thought about going back out there because the pressure in the little lake is INCREDIBLE!

That lake's winter dynamics have changed so much in 5 years since they did the drilling.  Used to be a city out there by the island.......now you don't even see one permanent

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2231 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:50 AM »
I fished 17fow Friday night through Saturday morning. Crappies hit on jig with a waxie but not a one would hit my minnow.

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2232 on: Jan 18, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Anybody ever night fish on little lake? Ive seen a few guys drive putt @about 9ish and later. Wondering if they are having any luck.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2233 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:05 AM »
The little lake is quite the spectacle with every fashion of ice shanty out there from hut to converted 70's campers to fancy wheel houses.  Caught some nice crappies yesterday, but had people in earshot within every direction.  I am becoming a big fan of the Clam plastics ( I am sure others work too), but man, being able to switch from wax worms to something different really made a difference.  They hold up much better and allow you to drop down faster also.  Really fun watching the crappies come flying up to hit your bait.  I certainly did my part for catch and release, as I lost multiple fish to the transducer monster, but it was a good time.  Really nice to fish when you don't worry about your line, hole, eyelets and body parts freezing if outside the hut for more than 10 minutes.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2234 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Icefisher I stayed in the shack Friday night and stayed up fishing until about 3am and the bite wasn't bad. Crappies would come in about every thirty minutes or so. Interesting enough they only hit my waxies and never even touched my minnow.

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2235 on: Jan 19, 2015, 11:37 PM »
tracksnorth- i stayed out sunday night. and the bite was pretty much the same as yours. they wouldnt touch the minnow but they hit the waxie and sometimes the plastic. i only stayed out till 12 and someone was just getting set up just before i was leaving. plan on staying the night this weekend. let me know when ya stay out again will have to stop by

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2236 on: Jan 20, 2015, 09:22 PM »
Will do icefisher. If I can even make it out this weekend I'm not sure whereabouts I'll go. Thinking spirit lake or zumbro up in Rochester

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2237 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:07 AM »
I hear ya tracksnorth. Would like to go to spirit but not liking these Warmer temps. Only good thing is it gets below freezing at night.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2238 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:30 PM »
Agreed I'm not find at all of this weather. They've been slaying the perch over there as well,a gal caught a 13 incher

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2239 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:38 PM »
I would really like to find some decent perch. Got a craving for em right now!

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2240 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:42 PM »
You'll get all you want there. If your on Facebook "like" the kabeles page. They are wonderful at posting daily reports and plenty of pictures!

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2241 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:43 PM »
And tell em Ironbeard sent you

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2242 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:44 PM »
I'm already a fan of there page. Just wish I could find time to get over there!

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2243 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:30 AM »
Who else is getting excited for the yellow bass bonanza?! This is my first year going, and my brother and I can't wait!! Reading through the rules and I can't believe for this tournament you can keep every yellow bass you catch that day, just have to pick out your biggest 50. My question is how many times do you guys go out and catch over 50 yellows between 2 people??? We are gonna go pre fishing Saturday and if we manage to catch 50-100 fish that weekend, I think I will be having a fish fry!!

Offline waterfowlhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2244 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:38 AM »
If you can find the yellows it's not hard to catch 50 in a few hours

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2245 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Who else is getting excited for the yellow bass bonanza?! This is my first year going, and my brother and I can't wait!! Reading through the rules and I can't believe for this tournament you can keep every yellow bass you catch that day, just have to pick out your biggest 50. My question is how many times do you guys go out and catch over 50 yellows between 2 people??? We are gonna go pre fishing Saturday and if we manage to catch 50-100 fish that weekend, I think I will be having a fish fry!!
This year will be my second year. Caught 7 last year. But the prizes are well distributed. We didn't win anything but hope to be luckier this year. I've been there three times this year and will also pre-fish Friday  and Saturday before the tournament . That serious ? No, it's just a fun place to fish. We WILL do better this year.
Good Luck, Crappyfishrman, and all other participants!
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2246 on: Jan 23, 2015, 11:33 AM »
My brother and I are also fishing in it for our first time this year.  I hope it's a good time, which most days on the ice are a good time.  Maybe one of us will be lucky enough to win a prize even....

I've never fished Clear Lake through the ice, so we'll see how that goes..

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2247 on: Jan 23, 2015, 04:07 PM »
You must be doing something wrong if ya can't catch at least 50 haha. Ya gotta work and stay mobile but catching 50+ really isn't all that complicated. Few tips I've picked up
1.Stick to the main  Lake...Yea there's yellows in the Little Lake but there's just too many dinks and little panfish...Plus most of the bigger fish (9+) will usually be more in the big lake.. Or at least that I've found anyhow. Ik some guys prefer the LL but me along with most of the people I fish with prefer the main lake
2. Stay mobile.
3. Underlining the STAY MOBILE. Drill a ton of holes and if you're not marking don't fish it. Sometimes if I get lazy I'll just drop a jig down and just see if anythings down there but usually if I'm not marking I'm not going to fish it.
4. When you catch one...Get your line back there Pronto. Keep that school in a frenzy...Don't bother drilling a second hole or taking pictures or setting up a shack. Fish that hole out as fast as it spits up fish
5. When a school has left, drill a few holes around the original hole and try and follow that school around.
6. Spoons, spikes, or cutbait are your go to baits. Personally I like to have two rods...One with a spoon and one with a mud bug or dingle drop. 90% of the time it's the jig that catches them..But if I'm marking a ton of fish and they just aren't interested, throw a spoon down and that may turn em on. Spikes and cutbait work well...Not so much waxies...Some guys use minnows but I've always found them a hassle.
7. Make sure to prefish and cover as much water as possible ...Fish all over the west end and find a couple spot for the tourney. Don't stick to one spot as they may either move, be turned off(Finicky...with all the augers and vehicles buzzing around) or a shanty town the day of the torney. Good luck out there!

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2248 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice bockster! I don't have to many days that i catch more than a 5-10 fish. My brother and i are heading up there very early Saturday before the tourny to drill a ton of holes and hopefully catch fish. I will be happy but my brother will s**t if he catches 25-50 fish. Next time im at the bait shack i will grab some mud bugs.

Offline vandy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2249 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Last year was our first year of fishing the tournament, we came in 13th place. We fished the little lake drilled 2 holes and set the shack up and never moved.  We caught 160 yellows and 1 white bass.
It was a very fun tournament, but we spent all our winnings that night at Bennigans.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.