Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431499 times)

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1980 on: Feb 23, 2013, 09:05 AM »
U can also pm me if u don't want everyone to know

no need to pm.

Focus on little lake 7 fow. green mudbugs 4-5 spikes.

Good luck
Chris

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1981 on: Feb 23, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Thursday we did well in 9-10 fow also green mudbugs

Offline qciceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1982 on: Feb 23, 2013, 10:17 PM »
I'm planning on taking my first trip to Clear Lake next weekend. Regarding the yellow bass, I understand that they're an invasive species. I enjoy a little fish, and will probably keep enough for a meal or two. However, I have no desire to take home dozens upon dozens of yellow bass.

Should yellows that I don't take home be put back into the water? I don't want to release a fish that will damage the fishery, but aren't comfortable with leaving them on the ice either. What is the best thing to do with yellow bass that I don't plan on eating?

Thoughts?

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1983 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:33 AM »
I'm planning on taking my first trip to Clear Lake next weekend. Regarding the yellow bass, I understand that they're an invasive species. I enjoy a little fish, and will probably keep enough for a meal or two. However, I have no desire to take home dozens upon dozens of yellow bass.

Should yellows that I don't take home be put back into the water? I don't want to release a fish that will damage the fishery, but aren't comfortable with leaving them on the ice either. What is the best thing to do with yellow bass that I don't plan on eating?

Thoughts?
Ask the other fisherman if they want them. Usually somebody will take them.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1984 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:37 AM »

Yellow Bass Bonanza exceeds expectations

“Luck is where the crossroads of opportunity and preparation meet.”

There probably weren’t many fishing tournaments in the first century, when Roman philosopher Seneca allegedly coined this oft-quoted adage. Yet some 2,000 years later, his words rang true on the west end of Clear Lake a week ago Saturday.

A total of 195 anglers from six states took part in the inaugural Yellow Bass Bonanza held at McIntosh Woods State Park. Opportunity and preparation met to make the event bigger and better than imagined.

“I just think it was really successful for our first year and not knowing what to expect,” said Chris Scholl, who organized the tournament along with fellow fishing guide Kevan Paul.

“This has got to be 100 times better than I dreamed of,” Paul agreed.

Ice fishing is often a hit-or-miss proposition. High winds with bitter cold can make it a challenging and painful exercise, while unseasonable warmth can make the ice sloppy at best and unsafe at worst.

Regardless of conditions, fish may choose not to bite for reasons fully understood only by the fish.

Everything fell into place for the bonanza. Just-right weather and a strong yellow bass bite came together to provide anglers with the perfect opportunity.

“I’m just happy to be out catching fish,” said Nick Meyer of Milford. “I’ve fished in tournaments where I haven’t caught a thing.”

Fishing at Clear Lake for the first time, Meyer found a concentration of yellow bass almost immediately after the 8 a.m. start. He had his tournament limit of 50 yellows within an hour, although he chose to forego the $50 prize for the first limit weighed while shooting for a heavier basket.

“I got up at 3 a.m.,” Meyer noted. “It was worth it.”

Six-year-old Adan Jorgensen of Dexter and his father, Derek, traveled from Dexter for the event.

“We had to drive all the way,” Adan noted.

Although they weren’t nearly as successful as Meyer (Adan weighed in four yellows weighing 1.01 pounds) both had a good time.

“I think we’ll be back next year, won’t we buddy?” Derek asked.

Adan nodded in agreement before hurrying off to claim a cup of hot chocolate and a cookie offered by Farm and City Insurance Services.

Providing refreshments for cold, tired anglers was just one example of the preparation made by Paul and Scholl.

The duo arranged a meal and a yellow bass fishing seminar the night before, offering anglers new to Clear Lake an opportunity to learn about their quarry.

DNR Fisheries Biologist Scott Grummer discussed yellow bass biology. He noted yellows are a desirable gamefish as well as a key forage species for larger predators in Clear Lake.

Grummer said yellow bass do well here because Clear Lake is a large natural lake with an incredibly dense population of bloodworms, a key food source for the voracious fish.

Yellows can quickly overpopulate in smaller and less-fertile lakes, displacing other desirable species while failing to reach angler-acceptable size.

“These are not a fish we want anglers moving around,” Grummer noted.

Des Moines fishing guide Rod Woten spoke on behalf of Recycled Fish, a non-profit organization dedicated to responsible outdoor recreation and good environmental stewardship.

In addition to encouraging catch-and-release fishing where it’s beneficial, Recycled Fish places a special emphasis on improving and maintaining water quality.

“Our lifestyle runs downstream,” Woten noted.

Paul and Scholl discussed rules for the tournament and also offered angling tips.

“We want to help everyone learn about yellow bass and hopefully catch fish for the tournament,” Paul said.

Anglers did just that, bringing 4,545 yellow bass weighing 1,050 pounds to the scale.

The weigh-in proceeded smoothly despite the unexpected turnout and impressive haul, another testament to the preparation by Paul and Scholl.

Both gave credit to the many volunteers who made that possible as well as several sponsors who provided cash, prizes and other assistance.

Paul said participants expressed appreciation for the tournament and enthusiasm to attend next year.

“Everyone wants to see it grow,” Paul said. “Next year we’re shooting for 300 (participants).”

Next year’s Yellow Bass Bonanza has been tentatively scheduled for Feb. 8. For more information go to www.paulsfishingguide. com or call 641-529-2359.

Offline fisherman58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1985 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:47 AM »
whats a yellow bas look like

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1986 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:53 AM »

No strain on yellow bass population

“Luck is where the crossroads of opportunity and preparation meet.”

Participants in the Yellow Bass Bonanza were limited to fishing in the little lake and the west end of the main basin of Clear Lake.

Anglers found fish throughout the permitted zone in depths from 5 to 18 feet. Most used small jigging spoons tipped with spikes, waxworms or cutbait.

Greater concentrations of yellows were noted in the little lake, although anglers fishing near the aerator hole on North Shore found some larger fish. There have also been reports of non-tournament anglers catching yellow and a few legal walleyes near the island.

There is no limit on yellow bass, meaning some anglers harvested considerably more than the 50 they weighed in. While this might be concerning (and illegal) for most species on most bodies of water, the DNR’s Scott Grummer said it is not an issue with Clear Lake yellow bass.

“I really don’t see any problem with the numbers as long as they’re being utilized,” Grummer said. “We still have plenty of yellow bass out there. This didn’t hurt the population at all.”

Grummer said the lake has at least three strong year-classes of yellows, two of which are now reaching angler-acceptable size. With favorable weather, last year’s estimated open-water harvest of 173,000 could easily be met or exceeded.

Hard-water fishing should remain excellent until ice out, particularly on warm days. Grummer cautions anglers to use appropriate safety gear and monitor ice conditions carefully.

Late-season ice can deteriorate quickly, Grummer said.

“Yesterday’s (safe) ice isn’t always fine today,” he said.

Offline IGLfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1987 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:07 AM »
so is it against the law to release a rough fish like the yellows?? just asking..

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1988 on: Feb 24, 2013, 10:21 AM »
so is it against the law to release a rough fish like the yellows?? just asking..

if you are not going to utilize the fish you harvest. then be selective take only what you will eat.
Release the rest.
Some will say take them all..... it is foolish to think that throwing a few hundred yellows on the ice or in a ditch is going to influence the population.

Leave the biology to the experts....same as the transport and stocking DON'T DO IT.

Enjoy the resource.. you have a species that tastes great, easy to catch and you can't over harvest. so have a large fish fry or give some to your neighbors.

Offline qciceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1989 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Is there a fishable population of Northern in Clear Lake? Is it worth setting out a tip up while fishing for yellows?

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1990 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:10 PM »
Is there a fishable population of Northern in Clear Lake? Is it worth setting out a tip up while fishing for yellows?

northern no. walleye yes..

Put out a 4-5" sucker and you can be surprised by some big old marble eyes.

Friend and i managed 131 yellows in couple hours this afternoon.

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1991 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:33 PM »
Went off little lake yesterday and did great on the yellows. Also caught around 30 perch, 6 walleye and a few crappies. Kept only yellows and relesed the rest. Ended up with 117 yellows in a few hours. Minnow heads on small tungsten jigs
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

Offline bassfishnhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1992 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:54 AM »
My buddies and I are headed to Clear Lake this weekend, are people driving out or should I bring the 4 wheeler? Are most of the guys catching the yellows going off of McIntosh?

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1993 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:14 AM »
I think we're heading to Clear as well this weekend for the first time this year. Just looking for the most action to so probably heading towards the little lake it sounds. Thanks for the tips!

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1994 on: Feb 26, 2013, 06:41 AM »
we had group of 3 out yesterday 376 yellows in 5 hours.

started fishing in 7-8' ended in 15'. mudbugs w/ cutbait.

one of the guys got a master angler 10.25" yellow.
congrats jerry!

good luck all
Chris

Offline notime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1995 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:50 AM »
did everyone quit fishing clear lake. last post was the 26th

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1996 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:59 AM »
Was there yesterday got 37 yellows in 7 hours don't know what we did wrong there was 3 of us moved everywhere

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1997 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:22 AM »
Went yesterday as well with similar luck.  Only talked to one guy who pounded them, and only watched one other group have about a half an hour of success (they probably got 45 in that 30 min between 3 of them).  The fish were there just not biting.  I threw the book at them too for lures.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1998 on: Mar 03, 2013, 05:30 PM »
fished thurs aft.1-6  35 +1 11" perch out of big lake  marked fish but few takers

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1999 on: Mar 03, 2013, 05:55 PM »
5 of us fished for 5 hours today....let me just say a lot of happy senior citizens will be receiving fish!

final tally 721 yellows. we fished 3 different spots in the little lake we focused on 10 fow.

also we released 25+ crappie. thanks to the guys fishing with me for following my personal release rules.
we don't keep crappie or perch when harvesting yellows

good luck
Chris

Offline Ice Psycho

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lovin me somw Ice
« Reply #2000 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:23 PM »
I
If you hide from me I will find you and I will catch you !

Offline Ice Psycho

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lovin me somw Ice
« Reply #2001 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:28 PM »
Oops,  I think people finally got word of the gills on Crystal Lake.  Just hammered the gills two days in a row.  Easily limiting out. Fishing in 15 fow.
If you hide from me I will find you and I will catch you !

Offline tyke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2002 on: Mar 06, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Has anyone fished for yellows on Clear Lake lately? Thinking about heading that way maybe this weekend.Thanks in advance.
jdj

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2003 on: Mar 06, 2013, 07:02 PM »
everything is still good.  Little lake has 4" of snow and 13-15" of ice.

Offline huntaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2004 on: Mar 06, 2013, 10:42 PM »
Had my worst day of the year on clear lake today. Drilled and drilled and drilled and couldn't get away from 3" yellows. Did well on crappies sunday but that spot was a bust today.

Offline Iowan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2005 on: Mar 07, 2013, 04:54 PM »
Home the rain stays away as we are planning on heading that way this weekend. :-\
Catch a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2006 on: Mar 07, 2013, 05:06 PM »
Thinking about heading up saturday morning to catch a pale full of 3 to 10 inch yellows and keep them all.  Some for food some for eagle food!!!

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2007 on: Mar 07, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Thinking about heading up saturday morning to catch a pale full of 3 to 10 inch yellows and keep them all.  Some for food some for eagle food!!!
Not trying to keep you from fishing but
Saturday Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Patchy fog before 9am. High near 37. Breezy, with a south southeast wind 15 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2008 on: Mar 07, 2013, 06:51 PM »
we get that rain It's going to be a sloppy mess !!!!!!!!

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2009 on: Mar 07, 2013, 10:21 PM »
Not trying to keep you from fishing but
Saturday Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Patchy fog before 9am. High near 37. Breezy, with a south southeast wind 15 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Ya I saw that.  Might play it by ear. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.