Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431488 times)

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1920 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Haven't heard anything. Figured the news would wanna tell us so we know.  But that's Kimt for ya

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1921 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:22 PM »
The slabbies are in there.  Got several that size this winter and some pretty gynormous perch too.  Should be good fishing this spring for them If theres any left?

Where did that ATV go in at?

I think the ATV went in just to the east of the State Dock. There has been a pressure ridge keeping the water open for most of the winter in that spot. With the cold temps it finally froze over. It was pretty obvious this was new ice, he should have known better.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1922 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:48 PM »
All this is happening on the BIG lake, correct?  I presume the little lake is fine to traverse & yank yellows, right?    Thanks.

Be safe people.  Not a year to challenge the aerators!   ???

Found this.

http://www.kimt.com/content/localnews/story/ATV-Falls-Through-Ice-on-Clear-Lake/ExOTjU_9MkKLuaEwyzHttA.cspx?rss=1689

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1923 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:27 PM »
Im shocked another vehicle (ATV) went through Clear Lake. Dont be stupid people. travel safely,  dont always take the shorter route and travel where you know its safe. keep in mind where the aerators are. stick to the high traffic areas and dont travel out by yourself, always good to have a friend with. its beginning to look like this year the DNR wont push back the permy date. Feb. 20th. this week supposed to be around the 30's but gets down in the teens at night.
 stay safe out there and good luck! TIGHT LINES

That ATV went in right out from where we were putting rocks along the north shore line.  Not a very smart person as the ice had heaved out there and there had been open water there the whole time we were putting in rocks.  Some people just lack some serious common sense!

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1924 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Yellow Bass Tournament is moving forward.  We have thousands of dollars of prizes and only 50 entries. People are signing up everyday and we hope to get to 75 plus.  The funny thing is that we don't have many locals signed up 3/4's of the people are from 70 plus miles away.  So sign up and have fun and come and join the Tournament!!!

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1925 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:34 PM »
If today goes smooth might be over... Saturday or Sunday?
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1926 on: Feb 06, 2013, 12:19 PM »
Theres a pretty substantial pressure ridge off of the marsh ramp on SE side of the lake.  Thought it was a big drift and gave it a lil gas in the truck.  Got about 3 feet in the air.  Be safe boys..

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1927 on: Feb 06, 2013, 12:56 PM »
Theres a pretty substantial pressure ridge off of the marsh ramp on SE side of the lake.  Thought it was a big drift and gave it a lil gas in the truck.  Got about 3 feet in the air.  Be safe boys..

At least you got air and not a truck full of water!    ;)

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1928 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Any new reports.  Been thinking about heading up there on Saturday.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1929 on: Feb 07, 2013, 12:49 AM »
Is the little lake still good for traveling & is the McIntosh ramp still good to get on? Thanks.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1930 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:18 AM »
Is the little lake still good for traveling & is the McIntosh ramp still good to get on? Thanks.

Yes drove on yesterday and it's looking good. 

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1931 on: Feb 07, 2013, 06:37 AM »

Yes drove on yesterday and it's looking good.

How was the fishing?

Offline tyke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1932 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:45 PM »
Sorry for asking but could someone post the link for entry form for the yellow bass bonanza on the 16th.  I've looked about every place I know to find it and can't ( I don't know crap about computers). I'm going to try and make it there if I can. Sounds like alot of fun. Thank
jdj

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #1934 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:28 PM »
I really wish I could go to this, unfortunately I'll be on Leech Lake on my annual trip for the Eelpout Festival from the 9th to the 17th. Hoping for solid weather!

Offline tyke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1935 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:43 PM »
Thanks mj. Got the check made out and ready to mail. Thank again
jdj

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1936 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:09 PM »
Curious to why trucks can't be driven out on the lake if your a contestant?  And why can we only fish from either portable or nothing?  Its not going to matter having permie or not. Confused. ..

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1937 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:19 PM »
Liability shouldn't be that tough to figure.  And perms have had weeks to set up on hot spot.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1938 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:38 PM »
Guys can always move there permie few feet over and sit?  I don't see the big deal. ATV'S can break through too. I will be one of yhe many that will not be taking part in this event and will happily be fishing out of my permie with my truck sitting right outside

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1939 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Seeking Buster advice, again!

I appreciate you keeping us posted. I'm from the Iowa City area & pondering coming up this weekend with my buddy. We were up 2 wks ago in the ice storm. I've scouted MacBride down here this week & the ice looks like total crap with open areas so makes me apprehensive. My bud lives in Nashua & said it is raining up there as well. If we come up this weekend, will we still be able to get on & navigate the Little Lake? Could the ice be turning to crap? I don't want to make the trip up if it's going to be sketchy. Also, do you anticipate there being a lot of inches of water on top of the ice on Saturday? I could bring up my ATV if I have to. Thanks for any info. 

I pretty much want to know if you guys think it will still be good this weekend & safe. Thanks.

Offline nitro1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1940 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:30 PM »
Ice itself is good.  Was out there yesterday in the rain, stayed a little too late.  Was very nervous looking out from portable and seeing standing water and having to depend on gps to make it back to shore(no tracks to follow) i didn't want to leave as I had caught my first keeper eye and lost an even bigger one at he hole( 17" plus)at dusk.  Makes one nervous when a couple of vehicles have gone thru in the past couple of weeks!  Good common sense never hurts. Stay away from the heaves. Been on the lake at least 20 times this winter and have yet to be skunked. Wish I didn't have to work for the yellow bass bonanza!  Should be a real good time as long as weather holds out.  Tight lines :)

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1941 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:49 PM »
Thanks for all the interest in the bonanza.

We are at 60 contestants and growing fast.

Ice conditions with in the tournament boundaries are excellent.

Might hit a 100 yet......that's up to you.

thanks
Chris

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1942 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:35 AM »
Ice is in good shape yet.  Saturday it may get intresting 40 degrees rain and 30mph winds.  Fishing is still good in the little lake.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1943 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Ice is in good shape yet.  Saturday it may get intresting 40 degrees rain and 30mph winds.  Fishing is still good in the little lake.

Thanks all. Sounds like we could maybe bring a small boat to sit in to fish!   ;D

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1944 on: Feb 08, 2013, 06:37 PM »
Well, now it sounds like Saturday might be manageable, maybe with a little sleet later. But, Sunday sounds like rain & maybe thundershowers. All this starting after midnight it sounds.

I & a buddy be coming up to put a hurt on the yellows Saturday! I'm assuming try to find the deepest depth like 22 ft or more. Prob anything over 20'.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1945 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:56 PM »
If i was going to put the hurt on yellows won't necessarily go for deep water.

Just finished opening mail. 76 entries!!!

We are going to blow past a 100 by Monday.

Thanks for helping support the bonanza.

Local boys and girls where are your entries?
Thanks
Chris

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1946 on: Feb 09, 2013, 04:09 AM »
A thought for me as to why you have so many from far away is it's like a vacation for us to go up there.  Some buddies and I got a couple of hotel rooms.  The fishing near Cedar Falls has been horrible (you can catch a ton of fish, but very few worth keeping), and our ice here only looks so good right now.

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #1947 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:01 AM »
I am still 50/50 on if I can attend as my cousin just got home from Afghanistan and might be back from Washington next weekend for a big party for him.  I am trying to get a group of my buddies together and will register the day of the event if you can do so.

A question one of them asked was, "What does all the money from the registrations go towards?  The final payout for places or there is an organization going to benefit from the contest?"  Like the Somerset, Wisconsin contest goes towards their Somerset Youth Athletic Association, and the big Brainard contest goes to a camp for kids.

Thanks hope I can make it!!

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1948 on: Feb 09, 2013, 12:51 PM »
We are looking at donating money to different organizations That are fishing related.
 Recycled fish is 1 of the Group that will be receiving some money.

I was out with 4 guys today. in the little lake in just over 2 hours we put 240 yellows in the bucket.

If they are biting like that everybody should have fish.

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #1949 on: Feb 09, 2013, 05:30 PM »
luckydog thanks for the reply.

If the weather more like roads aren't too bad I might go over and check it out.  In the little lake what depth of water was you in?  Was you using cutbait or minnows? And finally what color and type of jig were you using?  I know you need to hole hop is key, but whenever I go to fish the lake in either hard water of soft water I have no luck and might get a few yellow bass when everybody else says they are on fire.  If you want you can PM me more specifics if you don't want to share on here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.