Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431489 times)

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1470 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Ill be up there in the morning anywhere not to go I'm thinking about farmers but don't want to fall in

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1471 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:36 PM »
i would avoid the eastern body of the lake, but farmers is good and there were some huts on the northern shoreline near where little lake connects

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1472 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:17 PM »
anyone have any reports of the little lake? just curious wanting to venture out but i dont want to get to excited and headout and then fall in. Looking around the Charles City area for some farm ponds to fish but not having to much luck....Will have to see what this weeks weather forecast will be like...hopefully this new year will bring us cold weather and SNOW!!!!!

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1473 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:49 AM »
Time to head north!

Ya better answer your phone!!!

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1474 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:25 AM »
On my way to farmers its gonna be a chilly one hole hopping today. I will report back with ice conditions and report 

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1475 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:04 PM »
There is still a good 6 inches of ice on farmers. I had my best luck early and.ended up leaving around 11:30. Spikes and tungsten was my go-to in 8 fow. I can't wait to fish it some in a little less wind.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1476 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Thanks for the update. It helps people know whether a trip to CL is worth it or not.

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1477 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:40 PM »
hey thanks for the update, did you see anyone over on the little lake? been thinking about it but still unsure... colder temps are going to be here next week it looks like to stay....(we can hope). Hoping to fish some ponds around the Charles City area here in a couple days. The ice open water should be re-freezing with these colder temps tonight and the wind dying down should make ice making a lot easier. lets hope for the best!
tight lines

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1478 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:51 PM »
I did not see anyone on little lake. If there were there probably weren't many. I should also add that there was a lot of open water to the east of farmers but as of this morning it was a safe distance away.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1479 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:52 PM »
My forecast shows 38 Weds, 49 Thurs, 48 Fri, and still above freezing through Sunday.  Where did you see the cold temps forecasted?

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1480 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:58 PM »
It was on the weather channel I believe. i may be wrong

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #1481 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:15 PM »
My weather report for clear lake iowa said 0 for tonight there
Never to many short poles

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1482 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:57 PM »
0 is a good ice making temp  ;D too bad we couldn't get a week with those temps.

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1483 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:39 PM »
My forecast shows 38 Weds, 49 Thurs, 48 Fri, and still above freezing through Sunday.  Where did you see the cold temps forecasted?
The local forcast shows a high of 43 both Thursday and Friday, hopefully that's a little closer then 48 and 49. And the nights are spos to stay cold!

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1484 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:31 PM »
I'm thinkin bout makin a trip out tomoro or thursday, anybody havin any luck recently?

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1485 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Going up there on friday hows ice conditions up there? I was wondering if atvs are being used up there?????????????????Pm me please???????????????

Offline number905

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1486 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:39 PM »
I went up there yesterday and the ice on farmers was about 6-7 inches thick. We got into town around 11 and only saw 2 shacks on the Little Lake. Didnt see any ATVs. There is a lot of open water in general, but farmers was fine and we had no hesitations being on the ice.

Best bite was from 3-5 for us in 8 FOW. Caught around 20 yellows all on minnows and tungsten jigs hooked through the tail.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1487 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Anyone one want to meet up there  ;D do you no any good cheap motels up there? close to lake?If you do PM me Show me around up there and I will show you around here if we ever get ice LOL ??????? :'(

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1488 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:58 PM »
Thanks for advice think ice will be good by friday? the 6 th? Or should we go north west towards devils lake? Just dont want to go there yet hoping for ice down here still .If we get ice down here I have many good spots I would invite any of you guys to go with us last year was a blast best bluegill 12.25" and crappie 15.5" and bass 2-6 lbs perch 12-14" within 30 miles of my house . Hate this weather!!!!!!! Thinking cold thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline goosehntr69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1489 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Just wondering where down here is.  Forecast is for mid 40's the middle of the week here.(30 miles SW of Clear Lake)  as long as it doesn't get too windy,I think farmers beach should be ok yet.

There are a couple of motels on the east end of the lake. Super 8 or comfort inn? And the silver boot I think.

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1490 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:46 AM »
Crappiebuster and I are heading North to get our fill of walleyes for the year ;D Will be thinking of ya all back here :P

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1491 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:02 AM »
I'm heading back out after being away for a week. Hope i can find a couple fish.  ;)

I'll report back tonight so hang tight ya'll.  ;D

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1492 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:20 AM »
"Northward ho!"
No that wasnt lyrics from a rap song. ;D

Think I may try and make it out today also.  Hopefully not go swimming

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1493 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Looks like we might be in for some "better" weather with some changes they're forecasting for the rest of winter.

What we have now.........

What they're expecting.......

Offline LunkerPlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1494 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:34 PM »
lets hope that happens... Everyday i drive down to the local lake just to be disappointed. The ice is to thin to walk on and yet it isn't melted enough for open water fishing. My gear is gathering dust. Lets hope it'll be gathering fish instead  :P

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1495 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:21 PM »
Looks like we might be in for some "better" weather with some changes they're forecasting for the rest of winter.

What we have now.........

(Image removed from quote.)

What they're expecting.......

(Image removed from quote.)

This whole La Nina thing has me screwed up. Back in October they predicted this, but said VERY cold and little snow. I guess they were half way right with the little snow part...

Anyways... Is the ice ok to walk out on farmers? I believe the ice is good, just wondering about the first few feet. Gonna hit the ice early in the am since I didnt feel like getting up this morning.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1496 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:15 PM »
First time out in a week, fished from 10-2:30.

fished out on farmers I would say a solid 8" of ice. This is probably the safest place to fish right now. Where I was fishing last week might have 3" right now.  :o

Fished with small jigs and spikes, fish really didn't want cutbait for me.

kept 73 yellows and threw back at least that many dinks.

Going to be crowded out there for awhile till the ice improves.

PLAY NICE WITH EACH OTHER.  ;D

ytd 974 yellows, 1 walleye

Offline Crappie43

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Catch, I Clean, I Eat....and great at the 3 F's!
« Reply #1497 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:39 PM »
i will be out tomorrow and friday! hoping to fill the freezer! any suggestions...i have heard of anywhere from 4 ft to 10ft...i will be in a clam nanook in all camp rocking my arctic armor...but would probably be ok in overalls and sweat shirt!

Good Fishing!

Higz
Higz

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1498 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:10 PM »
I would start In six to seven fow. And if u can't find them there move deeper and I would be shocked if u dont find a few schools in eight fow. Keep mobile and it sounds like u will have a couple really nice days to get after them. I wish I could be out there drilling holes with ya unfortunately I will have to wait til the weekend.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1499 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:23 PM »
I got screwed today only managed 10 yellows and some dink eyes. Moved all over could not pinpoint a school. Most I picked off from an area was 2.  Prolly drilled 20+ holes. Did not have waxies tho only minnows maybe that was my prob.  Imma fish it till Saturday and head North catch my walleye dinner in less than a hour ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.