Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431500 times)

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1440 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:48 PM »
I finally made it up today. Didn't stay long. We caught a few yellows. The lake was plenty wet today.
The wet ice was a lot better than we have in Boone. We're down to 2" of slush.

Offline cyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1441 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:00 PM »
its crazy.......we are supposed to have 0 deg temps right now and 18" of ice........its going to be January for freaking sakes

Offline huntaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1442 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:26 PM »
Extended forecast is a joke highs in the lower 30s for a break but extremly windy and then back up to mid 40's .  In a week or two the ice prolly wont be fishable.
When has the weatherman ever been right? Heck at one point the forecast for this week said it wasn't supposed to get over freezing. Two days later it says 40-50 degrees! I could probably even be the weatherman. ::) The least they could do is lie to us and say its going to get cold to get me excited for a little bit >:(

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1443 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:18 PM »
When has the weatherman ever been right? Heck at one point the forecast for this week said it wasn't supposed to get over freezing. Two days later it says 40-50 degrees! I could probably even be the weatherman. ::) The least they could do is lie to us and say its going to get cold to get me excited for a little bit >:(

I'm going with the glass half full. The pattern that gave us one the mildest Decembers I'd changing and January is going to go cold...

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1444 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:45 AM »
By the time this wind quits blowing the 2 aerators will become 1 giant one.  Get out the boat!

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1445 on: Dec 31, 2011, 02:39 PM »
You guys gotta think positive!!! this week doesn't look to bad... at least not until Friday and Saturday, but that's beside the point... :unsure:

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1446 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:48 PM »
We were on Farmers Friday. was the open water to the NW from the aerators?

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1447 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:02 PM »
The NE you mean ???

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #1448 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Myself and several buddies went to Clear Weds night and camped on the boat ramp waiting for morning, got bothered by a few cops, only one with an attitude. Thursday we started at McIntosh, what a joke that was. Nothing but 4 inch yellows, we packed up and drove to Farmers and started hitting them immediately. Each hole was usually one fish, but there were plenty to fish out of, that lake is swiss cheese. By the end of the day we had around 20 yellows and one 15.5" walleye. Overall a good time!

Offline goosehntr69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1449 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:35 PM »
Two buddies and I caught a bucket full at farmers today.  Didn't have to move too much.  They weren't hot and heavy,but steady most of the day.  Still around five or six inches of good ice.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1450 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Ice is breaking apart on pits in Mason City from this wind.  I kinda hate to imagine what its doing over on Clear Lake.  May have to go check it out after a bit and shed a tear I imagine.

Probably have to start over making the ice. :-\

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1451 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:52 AM »
planning to go out this afternoon, temps look good but the winds are worrying me, its an hour drive up, anybody closer have eyes on the ice on farmer's beach?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1452 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:21 AM »
Right now at clear lake winds wnw sustained at 41mph gusts to 51.  Dont think ive fished in winds above 25.  If ya go I wouldnt bring anything out that could fly away into the aerator ;D.

Offline jjmew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1453 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:23 AM »
alot of under currant yesterday lost a inch in the mornin alot of open water to the east of farmers

Offline bobracing32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1454 on: Jan 01, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Just drove around the lake and it looks terrible. Aereators opened up alot more in the last two days. You can see open spots of water along the shore for no reason. I would not fish the lake, especially in this wind.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1455 on: Jan 01, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Yep I looked at the ice with binoculars looks like theres several random small holes maybe 5x5 in the ice out there.  The edges are all opening up.  Basically its one big bobbing ice sheet right now. I would not be on it at all especially after dark.  Stick a fork in it she's done! :(

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1456 on: Jan 01, 2012, 02:11 PM »
I hope things get turned around so we all get some ice. Only time I've been out this season was up on clear lake and I was hoping to go again...thanks for the reports guys.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1457 on: Jan 01, 2012, 02:14 PM »
On top of the damage already done in Clear Lake, the wind gusts are supposed to stay above 40 MPH through tomorrow night. That is really going to rip the remaining ice up, and prevent the cold temps from doing much to re-freeze anything. Then temps are supposed to get up in the forties again later in the week.

In other words, I wouldn't be planning an ice-fishing trip to Clear Lake for next week.  :'(

EDIT: The Clear Lake live view camera of the lake (updated every five minutes) makes it look like the east end of the lake is pretty much all open: http://www.clearlakeiowa.com/live_eye.shtml

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
« Reply #1458 on: Jan 01, 2012, 02:21 PM »
Get the boats out...............H**l the Waterloo Water Ski Team was out yesterday waterskiing  :o :o :o

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1459 on: Jan 01, 2012, 02:40 PM »
Time to head north!

Offline bobracing32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1460 on: Jan 01, 2012, 03:21 PM »
Anyone have any reports of lakes up north. Looks like we will be heading up there.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1461 on: Jan 01, 2012, 03:24 PM »
We may have to drive quite a ways north.  :-\

Sounds like the ice on lakes in the southern half or third of Minnesota is taking just as much of a beating as Clear Lake is today.

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
« Reply #1462 on: Jan 01, 2012, 04:06 PM »
Probably Leech on up.....

Offline 2 MAN ESKIMO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1463 on: Jan 01, 2012, 05:07 PM »
Heading up to the winnie lake area in two weeks at least i got one day of fishing on clear lake to knock the rust off before i head north for a 7 day vacation  ;D

Offline number905

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1464 on: Jan 01, 2012, 06:05 PM »
Anyone attempt it today??

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1465 on: Jan 01, 2012, 06:46 PM »
i went out tonight, was downright nasty but farmers wasnt in too bad of shape, had 6 inches of good ice under us and new ice was forming under us all the time, the open water is quite a ways east of farmers and never seemed too threatening, fishing was ok, never hot but the yellows kept bitin just didnt stay out too long because the wind was just too damn nasty

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1466 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:18 PM »
Anybody heading to farmers tomorrow? I have the day off work and am kicking it around.

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1467 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:25 PM »
after today's trip i might be back out, but itl depend on how much the wind goes down, could hardly tell if what was wind and what was bites

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1468 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:28 PM »
I hear ya on the wind! Gusts of 50 and over are a little much. I would be happy if tomorrow is half that I could manage 25mph.

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1469 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:30 PM »
yeah, after a couple hours in the 50 mph, 25 would be a walk in the park, the ice was still pretty sturdy today, so i have high hopes for tomoro

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.