Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431484 times)

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #840 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:18 AM »
Thanks Blue

Kind of what I thought but wasn't sure because there are a couple of other bait providers.

I wiil make sure I stop in & buy some bait & ask where to head to so I can get on the ice.

whip2

Thanks everybody!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #841 on: Feb 11, 2010, 01:24 PM »
How is it off the road once you get out on the lake a bit? Did the wind blow most of the snow off? Slush pockets?

Offline Arctic Warrior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #842 on: Feb 11, 2010, 02:16 PM »
The plowed road is great, but everywhere else there is probably 6-12" of snow.  No slush from what I saw.  There were tracks from trucks off of the road, so if you have 4WD you should be ok to go off of the road.  I think the park folks moved a lot of snow off of the ramps and off of the ice by the shore too.

Offline Icegypsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #843 on: Feb 13, 2010, 03:35 PM »
Staying in Mason City overnight Monday for work and will take the sled with me planning to hit clear lake, how is the walleye bite? anyone having any luck? I've heard this lake is better known for yellows..never fished here.  Thanks.

Offline fishing nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #844 on: Feb 13, 2010, 03:43 PM »
Staying in Mason City overnight Monday for work and will take the sled with me planning to hit clear lake, how is the walleye bite? anyone having any luck? I've heard this lake is better known for yellows..never fished here.  Thanks.
Go straight out from the ramp@ mcintosh angle towards the north shore, south of the dome house and house east of it. Set up in 20 - 22 fow. Crappies will come through @ 4-8 ft off the bottom.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #845 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Just seen on the news that ice houses North or Highway 20 have an extra week on the ice.  Guess no petiton was needed after all.   ;)

Should be driving on the ice into march yet.

Offline fishing nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #846 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Just seen on the news that ice houses North or Highway 20 have an extra week on the ice.  Guess no petiton was needed after all.   ;)

Should be driving on the ice into march yet.
keep catching !!!

Offline eyecefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #847 on: Feb 14, 2010, 12:09 PM »
The plowed road is great, but everywhere else there is probably 6-12" of snow.  No slush from what I saw.  There were tracks from trucks off of the road, so if you have 4WD you should be ok to go off of the road.  I think the park folks moved a lot of snow off of the ramps and off of the ice by the shore too.

With 4x4 you can go about anywhere off the road. its about 15-18 inches of snow, no slush.  :tipup:  :o

Offline Icegypsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #848 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Go straight out from the ramp@ mcintosh angle towards the north shore, south of the dome house and house east of it. Set up in 20 - 22 fow. Crappies will come through @ 4-8 ft off the bottom.

Thank You!  ;D

Offline Arctic Warrior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #849 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:03 AM »
Does anyone know if the paths drifted in during the last snow?  Or are they still good?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #850 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:19 PM »
The road out is fine.  Offroad travel is fine for fullsizes just dont stop in one of them waist high drifts you may have a problem then.  Fishing is picking up!

Getting stuck is part of the fun anyways! ;D

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #851 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:46 PM »
Does anyone know if the paths drifted in during the last snow?  Or are they still good?

Still drifted in.  It will be ready tomorrow.  Fishing is slow on farmers.  The little lake is getting better.   I think you can get on the little lake with 4x4.   I drove out to my house on farmers today.  3/4 ton 4x4 and we made it but it was deep. :-\

Offline fishing nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #852 on: Feb 17, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Went out on lake through Macintosh this morn. trail was still good. Fished from 5:30 till 10. Caught one crappie, lost 2 others at hole. Many hits but bitting alittle light today. If the ice keeps building going to have to get extension for auger.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #853 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:16 PM »
I heard Farmers is bad.  That always gets pretty tough though.  East end I cant imagine. ???

Offline fishing nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #854 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:00 AM »
myself and 2 other guys fished billys reef 2 weeks ago. It was dead, saw very little on vex. and no bites

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #855 on: Feb 18, 2010, 03:56 PM »
went to spirit lake yesterday and put the smack down on some perch  ;D caught 70 and kept 54 nice perch it was pretty fun

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #856 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:58 PM »
heading to clear lake tom morning if you see a blue truck stop by on the little lake and say hi could use a fishing buddy too

Offline eyecefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #857 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Im still lost on CL... i only catch 4 yellows at the most, buckshots and heads do nothing for me.. even hole jumping isnt cutting it.. Im on the big lake and want to finish the season with some good fishing... any tips??  :tipup: :o

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #858 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:35 PM »
Im still lost on CL... i only catch 4 yellows at the most, buckshots and heads do nothing for me.. even hole jumping isnt cutting it.. Im on the big lake and want to finish the season with some good fishing... any tips??  :tipup: :o

you going out tom

Offline bobracing32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #859 on: Feb 19, 2010, 08:34 AM »
To all fisherman. I along with other plow paths on the lake, and we dont get paid or ask anything of it. But an out of towner had the ball to chew me out last night because i drove to close to his shack. Well when your two feet off the path people will drive by. Needless to say they were driving two cars. With over four feet of snow this year and your making it out in a car you should be nothing but thanking people with plows. It really upsets me when i do a good thing for all fisherman and they they abuse it. I guess what i am getting at is i move the snow and i can move it right back. So i hope those two guys with there cars brought shovels last night because i blocked there little path off from the main path. No one will talk to me like that for helping all fisherman, so this message just goes to show you we dont have to help everyone. Obviously if we have a plow we have a big 4x4 behind it and dont need a path. Just think about that next time guys!

Offline Arctic Warrior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #860 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:02 AM »
To all fisherman. I along with other plow paths on the lake, and we dont get paid or ask anything of it. But an out of towner had the ball to chew me out last night because i drove to close to his shack. Well when your two feet off the path people will drive by. Needless to say they were driving two cars. With over four feet of snow this year and your making it out in a car you should be nothing but thanking people with plows. It really upsets me when i do a good thing for all fisherman and they they abuse it. I guess what i am getting at is i move the snow and i can move it right back. So i hope those two guys with there cars brought shovels last night because i blocked there little path off from the main path. No one will talk to me like that for helping all fisherman, so this message just goes to show you we dont have to help everyone. Obviously if we have a plow we have a big 4x4 behind it and dont need a path. Just think about that next time guys!

I'd like to thank everyone who has been making paths on the lake!  Some people just think that they own everything.  I plowed a little bit out there so we would have an easier time getting our permie off when the time comes and I also helped plow so someone else could move their permie to a new spot.  A day or so later one of the paths I plowed had 10" holes in it from someone that had set up their shack right on the path!  I guess it is too much work for them to drag their stuff 5 feet away from the path.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #861 on: Feb 19, 2010, 02:43 PM »
Should just let the access drift in about 5 foot so the out of towners cant make it out. Lots of people out there this year that think their shhhtuff dont stink.  Anyone who cuts a road out deserves a cold one from every fisherperson out there if not a 24pack.  Thanks guys for the hard work.  It takes time,fuel,and wear and tear on the vehicles to push a road.  They just dont appear magically.  Thanks once again.  ;D

Offline spazman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #862 on: Feb 19, 2010, 05:33 PM »
Kudos to the guys cleaning out paths!!  I can say for myself and all the guys I fish with THANKS
 PS
Hope those guys had to dig out with a spoon.

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #863 on: Feb 19, 2010, 05:49 PM »
went to spirit lake yesterday and put the smack down on some perch  ;D caught 70 and kept 54 nice perch it was pretty fun

hey there how are you i was just wondering if i could get some tips on where to go at spirit lake a buddy of mine and i are planning a trip there sunday any advice would help us out thank you

Offline labman35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #864 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:43 AM »
Thinking about driven up this morning is it worth the trip or is it a wasted trip up. Please tell me what you think. I have never been there but the guys plowing the snow thank you hope to buy you a cold one if i come up.

Offline whitetail1001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #865 on: Feb 20, 2010, 12:56 PM »
im pretty sure "out of towners"  bring alot of money to clear lake all year around so ist pretty ignorant to be pointing your finger at them/us.  I use to live there and i dont really remember to many years where there were plowed roads on the lake.  Maybe one path out to billys or the island so someone could move their house and everyone managed to get out there. If your gonna be nice and plow thanks!  everyone appreciates it, but dont do it and then complain someone drilled holes where you plowed.  they will freeze over and maybe they wanted to fish there before the road was plowed.  last time i checked it was a public lake and this site was for fishing info and not complaining. 

Offline bobracing32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #866 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:29 AM »
Sure you may bring alot of money. But to be honest with four feet of snow this year and your still making it out. Who cares about holes they will freeze in hours. I along with many other locals get mad when people abuse things. I dont care if people fish next to eachother but when i have to park away from my shack just to get to it. Its sad when you can talk to your neighbor without opening a window. Also last time i checked you can park in the middle of the blacktop. why would you on the middle of the ice road so to speak. get your butt 5 feet off the path and everything would be fine. just dont block it.

Offline coketeck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #867 on: Feb 21, 2010, 12:06 PM »
 Well, back to fishing topics!  Hit the big lake yesterday for the afternoon bite. Left the lake with 20 nice yellows but no eyes. Use the rattle spoon with a minnow head and jump hole to hole till you find the one that has the biters! Hit the hole hard till they stop and start jumpin again! 10-12 FOW

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #868 on: Feb 21, 2010, 12:08 PM »
Coketec call me going to take kids out

Offline ice pig 121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #869 on: Feb 22, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Should just let the access drift in about 5 foot so the out of towners cant make it out. Lots of people out there this year that think their shhhtuff dont stink.  Anyone who cuts a road out deserves a cold one from every fisherperson out there if not a 24pack.  Thanks guys for the hard work.  It takes time,fuel,and wear and tear on the vehicles to push a road.  They just dont appear magically.  Thanks once again.  ;D

Thank you guys very much for running the plows, i have a permie out on the the little lake and it's much appreciated!! i only have a two wheel drive so i rely alot on friends and family to be able to get some fishing in, or make the walk!!  Once again your services are much apprecitated, Thank You
Tight lines and happy hunting to all! Go Vikings!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.