Author Topic: Bite off's  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Oilcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bite off's
« on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:06 AM »
I know there has been discussion about this in the past, but I would like to know others opinion regarding leaders for walleye's. I have always been a believer in mono leaders for walleye's the lightest possible the better. I fish them in summer with jigs and never lost one to their teeth. I was fishing bait the other day at a local tourney, and while checking baits and cleaning holes, I had the typical walleye hit on one of my sets. The fish had taken the bait but barely moved so the flag had not triggered. I felt it when checking, set the hook and started bringing it in. The fish definitly had some mass but was a bit sluggish in fight. About six feet from the hole the line cut and away went my fish. I quickly re-rigged and got set again (to no avail!). After I checked my broken leader to see if there was any indication my knot had failed and it looked like a clean cut. There are Pickeral present in the lake I was fishing but the hit and lack of run, leads me to believe it was a Walleye. Any opinions or advise are welcome on the subject.

Thanks,
Frank

Offline Fishbio824

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bite off's
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:13 AM »
NEVER HAD ONE BITE ME OFF EITHER. READ SOME OF THE OTHER THREADS. ANYONE WITH ANY EXPERIENCE HAS TESTIFIED TO THIS ALSO.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:22 PM »
I've never also had a walleye bite me off. and I've gotten a bunch over 10 pounds.

walleyechaser

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2007, 08:29 AM »
never once has a walleye cut my line.  I'm willing to bet it was a big pike that did that.
The big ones sometimes won't run far.  They take your bait and go lay in the weeds a few feet away.

If you're sick of that problem then use the invisa leaders.  I've caught many a walleye on them and pike can't cut them off.  They are very thin wire up to 30lbs.  I usually just use the 20lb. 
I lost a heck of a pike cuz I used a mono leader trying to be "smart" rigging a "walleye" tip up.

Stupid idea.  Never again.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:50 AM »
 I have never had a known walleye bite through my line, I fish my tip downs with 4 lb test line and my rods are 3-4 lb test and I've caught a few walleyes this year, even caught a couple Pike on my tip downs. I fish with florocarbon on my tips ups just in case of Pike
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:36 PM »
Walleye may have big teeth but there teeth are rounded and come to a point at the top, but pike and musky have teeth that are like blades on the sides ( a bunch of them look like a serated knife ) and when the line rubs on that say good bye to that lure.  I'm not saying it can't happen but i have read a lot about these species and i hear that walleye can't cut line because there teeth are just pointed on top.

walleyechaser

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2007, 10:51 AM »
Walleye may have big teeth but there teeth are rounded and come to a point at the top, but pike and musky have teeth that are like blades on the sides ( a bunch of them look like a serated knife ) and when the line rubs on that say good bye to that lure.  I'm not saying it can't happen but i have read a lot about these species and i hear that walleye can't cut line because there teeth are just pointed on top.

yes walleyes teeth are made for impaling and holding.  Esox teeth are made for shredding. 

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2007, 04:33 PM »
never had a walleye bite off in the 30 years I have been fishing them ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.