Author Topic: Chubby Darters  (Read 2410 times)

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
Chubby Darters
« on: Oct 07, 2012, 12:40 PM »
No comments on Buzz Bombs  .....  How about Chubby Darters - size and colors?
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chubby Darters
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2012, 01:53 PM »
Not sure what you are chasing, but I really like using chubby darters for walleyes.  If the fish are active, I usually have my best luck with a chubby darter.  Size 4 mostly, occasionally use a 5.  Colors that I've had best luck on are Regular Perch, GMO, Luminescent Orange Dace, and Yellow metallic Dace.  I think it really depends on the body of water you are fishing too.  If the water is clear, try to find a color to match what the fish are feeding on.  If the water is a little murkier, a higher vis color with more flash may be more appropriate.  Good luck!  If you search "Chubby Darter" in the search box in upper left, you should find plenty of info on chubby darters.  I think there have been many forum topics started about them. 

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Like the smallest for perch in perch lol or any color really depends on water/lake/fish
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2012, 02:32 PM »
AltBraves12,

I am interested in walleye.  I usually fish with a green jig head and a frozen minnow.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2012, 11:03 AM »
The good ol' Chubby vs Lindy Darter  :tipup:

FWIW, I have used Chubbies for a number of seasons and they have produced all types of fish for me. Last season I switched up to PK's early on in the season and had success with them so continued on using them. From Lakers to perch with bass, eye's and crappie in between along with different species of trout. The one thing I dislike about chubbies (and I have Lindy's too) are they can take sooooo loooooong to get down to the fish. PK's drop like a rock, or you can go lighter and finesses them.

My favorite chubby is a #3 perch or shad.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2012, 02:23 PM »
wyoutdoors, which pk lures do you use?  I assume you are talking about their spoons...  What's so special about their spoons? 

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2012, 01:15 AM »
Yellow PK Panic and rainbow flutterfish for lakers. Switched the treble out to a single red hook. For the rest of the catch, mostly flutterfish from the smallest size to 1/2oz were producers for me in a variety of colors. Check some of my posts from last year, all I had shipped in were PK's. There are some pics as well. I hate using bait and all the trouble keeping it, moving it around, moving to new spots on teh ice, etc. Gimme artificials all day long please. Nothing "special" about them I guess. They just worked for me.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2012, 03:38 PM »
holographic glows = awesome
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.