Author Topic: Re: depth gage for tip ups  (Read 2912 times)

tj52

Re: depth gage for tip ups
« on: Jan 12, 2003, 05:34 PM »
try putting a small bobber on the line or even a split shoot.  you could even put a knot in the line that marks the dept.  some times marking the dept on your line is the easy part finding the fish is the hard part lol

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2003, 06:42 PM »
Run your braided line thru the holes in a small button before you tie on your swivel and leader.  The button will slide easily and will mark your depth.  Once the depth is determined, slide the button down the line another foot or so to compensate for the shaft and spool on your tip up.  Good luck

ARMSTRONG_BROS.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2003, 07:51 PM »
We use a small button also. I have heard of people using bobber stops, the thread ones.

Brother#3

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2003, 03:55 PM »
I use the bobber markers,  they work pretty good and it is a fast way to move.  I have had a few move when pulling in a big pike.  so I am trying one with a bobber stop, the type made with string,  I tye my own so it is worth a try.

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2003, 04:29 PM »
I like using buttons.  Also another trick, is use a white button so when your lookin in  the hole after seeing a flag you can see the button and if it moved off the reel any.  It helps me tell how much line the fish took or if it was a wind flag.  White shows up better than dark colors.

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2003, 10:47 AM »
I use small buttons.  I would't recommend tying a knot in the line.  Usually where there is a knot is where your line is going to break.  Advice from past experiences.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2003, 11:31 AM »
Past discussion post went through the whole gambit of things that we all use.Used button for years- excellent if you fish near the same depth all the time.But between local ponds and deep water laker fishing,got tired of always moving button.Now,I find the depth I want,make a slip Knot in the line,insert match-tighten. End of day-remove match.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2003, 10:18 AM »
i use a small split shot to mark depth(the removeable kind) this way i just remove and reset its quick and easy. ;D

camo_fish

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2003, 09:46 PM »
I use a small bobber to mark bottom or top of the weeks. Before I started using bobbers I use to tie an extra piece of fishing line, but it seamed to slide to much. Little bobbers can be taken off and moved around easier than a button. I got my friend to change from his buttons to bobbers, too.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2003, 05:11 PM »
The knot that I am refering to is the type you would use on a slip bobber not on the actual tip up line. :o  I do agree that would make a week spot in the line.

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2004, 07:27 PM »
Try useing alligator clips.Clip on clip off very easy to use. :o
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.