Author Topic: Home Made Tipups  (Read 3053 times)

Gerry

Home Made Tipups
« on: May 02, 2002, 05:27 PM »
Material list:
1/2" plywood....for base
1"x2" or 1/2" thick slat....for reel mount
# 6x 1-1/2" dry wall screws...for assembly
and old tip up reel or line spool
1/4" x 3" coil spring (make sure it isn't real stiff but stiff enough to hold reel until fish strikes)
* use 10#-15# monofiliment for pike or smaller line for panfish.

Take a piece of 1/2" plywood cut to Round or square shape about 6"x10". then screw a piece of 2x2 to the center and back against a long edge.
now cut a slat 1/2" thick by about 4"-5" long and about 1-1/2" wide.
screw this to the top of the 2x2, and face any way u wish as long as it faces out over the base.
now take a fishing line spool or an old tip up spool and screw it to the slat. (I use a wood screw, backed by a plastic washer cut from milk jugs)
cut a 1" wide slot in the base all the way to the reel.

for a flag: I use a 1/4" coil spring that is about 3" long. I put a piece of hot dog stick in it to make it as long as I need.
If u use a line spool u will have to put a small handle on it to hold the flag. (u may have to close up the line spool with a dowel and redrill.
a #10 screw 1" long and nut will do nicely.

Use a little for thought and your project will be great.
The mono works great for freezing temps.

tight line. aye
Gerry  

D Burke

Re: Home Made Tipups
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2002, 05:27 PM »
get a peice of 2x2 about 24" long , cut one end at a 45 degree angle, get an old style "spring" door stopper/bumper and attach it to the 45degree cut, remove the rubber cap on the end of the spring stopper/bumper and get a peice of dowling about 18" to 24" long to fit into the spring ,get 2 small "eye" screws and attach one at the base of the dowling and one at end . on the 2x2 drill 2 holes the same dia as the dowling 6" apart at a 45degree angle (one facing up word one facing down ward) about 1/4" deem and cut 2 peices of dowling about 1" long .glue them in the holes (these will be for spooling your line on or you can use the plastic ice reels instead)use a clipon fish bell and you have a reliable tipup  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.