Author Topic: call 'em in  (Read 6007 times)

neil2fish

call 'em in
« on: Jan 30, 2003, 01:46 PM »
On slow days I've gone around and tapped the steel post on my Polars with my strainer.  Almost like a clicking or rattling bait.  On my last trip after the morning bite quit and I got bored I tried this and got a couple of quick flags soon after. May be coincidence but I believe in it.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
Re: call 'em in
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2003, 12:55 AM »
that sounds interesting.  I will try it this weekend.  One thing that has worked for me is to take a drive.  sort of herd the northerns to the tip ups. I will drive out in the deeper water then loop back towards my tip ups.  slowly driving back close to shore.  lI should say first that I only do this when I am alone and will not drive other fishermen nuts.  It does seem to work.  

Offline StrikeMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont be a GoatBoy!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2003, 02:06 PM »
Wow that intresting...im gunna try that my next time out..Thanks for the tip ;D
Tight Lines:StrikeMaster
Those Mason-Dixon boys aint got nothin on the PA GOATBOYS!!!

wick

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2003, 07:14 PM »
those both sound pretty interesting ill have to try them sometime.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2003, 12:18 PM »
Sing a song to 'em. You know the one. Here fishy fishy. Tell the fish a happy story too. I like the tapping idea better though, driving on the lake is a no-no where I fish only 10 inches of ice and the local law enforcement agencies will get you around here. Indiana, East central area.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2003, 06:30 PM »
Well here in MN where I do it we have 24" of ice on the lakes.

acsacmboy

Re:call 'em in
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2003, 02:34 PM »
this one bay i fish there is so much commoition.(sleds drag racing at over 150 mph :o and holes drilled but the pike move so much its unbeliveable. the sound of a gas augar actully calls in fish oddly enuf..

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:54 PM »
It's never been proven that the sound of a gas auger brings fish in, but its whatever works for you. I like to  do something that makes it seem like I'm not paying attention, then it seems like I get lots of em. The fish probably pop out of the holes, see that I'm not paying attention, and steal my bait, lol  :-[.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2003, 09:42 AM »
I ice skate past our groups tip-ups from time to time and more often than not we get a flag because of it.

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2003, 11:18 AM »
When it's really slow a drive by will often "wake" the pike up.

We do it all the time.

acsacmboy

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2003, 11:19 AM »
its just the one bay we fish where it does. that bay is crazy.. catch fish like nutswith all the commotion. the fish dont go by the books either. crazy lil things ::)

trapdaddy21

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2004, 10:54 AM »
i've experienced just the opposite, it seems to me that the fish are less likely to fish with alot of ice noise. in my opinion the idea of driving trucks and running augers is an old wife's tale.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live To Fish, Fish To Live
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:20 PM »
were i fish the sound of an auger doesnt seem to make and effect on the # of flags, but hey who needs noise when by the end of the day a flag is just a pian in the a**.

Offline Oagie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:10 AM »
I cant see how it would hurt anyway.  Other people wondering why your driving in circles.  I think I will give it a try some time.

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2004, 02:05 PM »
if we bring the 4wheeler, ill go for a little drive and usually while im gone, we get a few flags
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:34 PM »
When fish aren't biting , I'll go through all the trouble of setting out lunch... you know...unwrap the sandwich, pour and balance a hot cup of coffee on the knee . I'll usually have a mouthful of food, with the steaming coffee headed in the same direction, when, sure enough , up pops a flag ....I've tried faking it ...pretending to have lunch ....but it doesn't work ...Gotta be the real McCoy... No wonder I gain a few pounds in the winter . ;D

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2005, 06:12 AM »
usually just having the coffee on the burner is enough for me...when i get back its a bubbling caldron ov the beverage formerly known as coffee  :P

Offline UPSTATE ICEMASTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Powers Of "FISH ATTRACTANT"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2005, 08:01 AM »
   ;) ITS ALL ABOUT THE FISH ATTRACTIANT ;)
" JUST TRYIN TO GET HER DONE"

Offline Grimace

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ive Had It
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2005, 05:19 PM »
When fish aren't biting , I'll go through all the trouble of setting out lunch... you know...unwrap the sandwich, pour and balance a hot cup of coffee on the knee . I'll usually have a mouthful of food, with the steaming coffee headed in the same direction, when, sure enough , up pops a flag ....I've tried faking it ...pretending to have lunch ....but it doesn't work ...Gotta be the real McCoy... No wonder I gain a few pounds in the winter . ;D

hahahhaha.  yep sounds like me.   i leave walk around and when i think they (the fish arent paying attention to me i look at my line real quick.  doesnt work, but if i get distracted and wander ill come back to flag and no bait no fish

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2005, 10:36 PM »
I learned about that last weekend. Very cold here in VT and the water was murky. Very few flags.At the end of the day I was chipping out my frabill polar and accidently whacked it with my spoon knocking the flag loose, twice.As I was breaking it loose, the damn thing started spoolin out right in my hand.I thought it had to be a fluke or something! Nope it was a PIKE! The only one on my flags all day!! I think sound would work great!
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline icefizzlemachizzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2005, 01:23 PM »
I believe that subtle vibrations attract dormant fish to strike.  Numerous times at first ice when the bite was off I have walked around to my tipups to check the bait and soon thereafter I was getting flags.....notice how I mentioned subtle vibration.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2005, 08:03 AM »
Interesting idea.

Do you find the "tapping" to work in shallow water? I know shallow fish may drop the bait after the first flag, if they see you come a runnin (before they have swallowed the bait). I try to avoid as much walking and traffic around the tipups in 5-15' of water as possible, unless checking/chainging bait, to avoid spooking my prospective dinner.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.