Author Topic: getting a ticket  (Read 6535 times)

channing007

getting a ticket
« on: Feb 18, 2003, 07:54 AM »
you need too be near your tip up theyll right you a ticket i gotta 30.00 fine last year 4 being too far away. :

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: getting a ticket
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2003, 09:20 AM »
What state are you in, and how far is too far?
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

RSQCAL

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2003, 09:49 AM »
In Wisconsin the only requirement is that you must be able to respond to the tip-up immediatly when the flag goes up. I take this to mean if its visible your legal.  :'(  :'(

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2003, 11:53 AM »
In MN we have to be within 200 feet at all times.  And we are allowed two lines.  Not sure what the fine is And I have never seen a dnr guy pull out a tape to check it.

Ice Troll

Re:getting a ticket
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2004, 04:30 AM »
In wyoming, which is where I am from, we can use six tipups and have to be within 300'. I often fish in Montana(Ft.Peck Reservoir) and they allow 6 tipups as well. Montana has no attendance law on Ft. Peck so your tipups can be 5 miles away if you want. We spread our tipups sometimes 1/4 to 1/2 a mile apart and run it almost like a trap line using ATV's. When the fishing is hot, we put alot of miles on the 4-wheelers but it is a blast. Spreading out also helps us determine hot spots much faster. Ft. Peck is awesome for monster Northerns, lakers and walleye. They also have catfish, sauger, perch, bluegill, smallmouth, rainbow and brown trout

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2004, 10:16 AM »
Hey Ice Troll where do you fish at Peck? I am in NDak and have thought about going there to ice fish sometime. Have you been there this year yet? Any particular area that is good to fish? I know they have a hell of a fishery over there and hardly anybody fishes it from what I hear. Any input?

Ice Troll

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2004, 02:02 AM »
Fishnut,
I go every year for 8 years now. I will be going for 8 days starting feb. 14th this year. I have fished several different places on Peck but its really hard to go wrong. The big dry arm areas like Nelson, Maguire and rock creek areas produce some great walleye, northern and Ling. For Lakers you need to look for deeper water areas although I have caught lakers in those areas mentioned. Hell creek and Devil creek are also good. Last year I fished Gilbert Bay but I doubt I can get in there this year. That area got a ton of snow this year and access may be tough in some places. You really should give this fishery a try. It is incredible and so remote it doesnt get much pressure. Its easy to access but there really isnt much for population centers around Peck.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2004, 03:24 PM »
I don't believe in Mass there is a area in which you need to have your tip-ups. In fact I use binocullars to check on them and ice skate (when the ice is good) and get there fairly fast.

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2004, 05:28 PM »
Thanks for the info ICE TROLL I hope to get over there someday. Good luck on your trip. Tight lines!!

JIMMY FISHTRAP

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2004, 06:55 PM »
i have never heard of a ticket for being to far away.thats a bad break man! :-[

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:43 PM »
In Indiana if you are being watched and
there is noway you can possibly see all your tip-ups they will warn you. For the
most part they leave you alone if you are
ice fishing. Don't go looking for trouble and trouble won't come looking for you.
Just my thoughts
Greg
Fish on!

nuke1neil

« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:52 PM »
I've never seen a distance stated in the penna.rules.you homies correct me if you know otherwise.i have'nt seen a warden on the ice where i go in probably 15 years.back then a common practice for them was to dress like fishermen,and sit on a bucket with binoculars.another warden would stand in front of them as a screen.the guy standing would hold a pole like he was jigging but not even have a hole there.i see them lot at the same areas during open water.guess they either don't like the cold or are afraid of the ice?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2004, 04:47 PM »
IN THE STATE OF MAINE YOU MUST BE WITHIN 100 YDS OF YOUR TIP-UPS OR YOU COULD BE FINED :(

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2004, 07:26 PM »
really? withing a 100 yards? I always thought it was "must be inattendance at all times"
Anthony

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2004, 05:42 PM »
Thought Wisconsin was 150yds? what if I'm asleep and don't tend to them in a timely manner,is that by law unattended?
myspace.com/tat2byjt

GEEMAN

« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2004, 06:32 AM »
JT You'll get a ticket for sure if your asleep, have lines out and the warden pays you a visit.
The law states you have to respond to a bite ( flag ) imediately.
I called the DNR and asked our regions head  warden about a specific time/distance limit and that's the answer he gave me. He said nothing about how far away the ( tip ups ) can be.
To me that basicaly means if the wardens in a bad mood your gonna get tagged.

I have seen it time and again where a warden will sneak up to sombodies spread and trip a flag. He'll then sit a ways away and see how long it takes for the guy/gal to come tend it. Too long and you get a ticket. Saw a dude get a ticket that way just a couple weeks ago as matter of fact.
Personaly I think it's a BS way to go about it but that's the way it is here in Cheeseland.

GEEMAN

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2004, 10:23 PM »
Evidently so. I've seen wardens do it at least a half dozen times through the years. In fact I saw them pinch a guy a couple weeks ago. These dudes were in thier shack ( It was well after dark ) Just so happened the warden was making his rounds about then. He popped one of thier flags and waited. Nobody noticed the flag up so they got a ticket for unatended lines.

Sure sounds like entrapment to me too !

I'm sure if you went to court and fought the ticket you could get out of it. In the regs it makes no mention of a time limit when tending a flag or bite. It only says it is illegal to leave your lines unattended.

Dunno ? Best keep on your toes while you have boards out is all I can say.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2004, 04:53 AM »
really? withing a 100 yards? I always thought it was "must be inattendance at all times"
actually anthony ,i cant find it in the regs it used to say it ,now it says "5 line limit unde the immediate supervision of the person who set them"...curios if the old law is still in exsistance and or if we could get a ticket or not!!!

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2004, 07:40 AM »
Geeman;
I cant believe a decent warden would pull b.s like that. I will tell you what the next time you see this happen go over and ask warden what he is doing tampering with private property. You own that tip-up. Tell him you saw him trip flag so you waited to see how long it would take him to bother you. Above all else, Someone fight this ticket. Take the guy to court and let a judge know what is going on. The judge will stop it. It is illegal for sure. We do still have rights, I am not sure how they are written in Wi. But in Mi. This is definitely illegal. Good luck

GEEMAN

« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2004, 09:09 PM »
Backwoods , Its legal. You'll get a pretty good fine too ( 100 + bucks ) if your caught. Nice huh ?
Only God has more power than the DNR in Wisconsin - No joke !

Most WI wardens are cool for the most part but I'd bet that  every one of them trip peoples flags on a regular basis. Some more than others for sure. I've seen that first hand with one particular warden we had here a few years back. I filed a complaint with his boss for just that  AND  the way he handled himself when dealing with me and others I knew. This guy was a TOTAL jerk every time we crossed paths. Don't know why but he was.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.