The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: High Point Lake  (Read 1461 times)

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
High Point Lake
« on: Jan 01, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Anyone check High Point lake ?
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline crazie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: High Point Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:39 PM »
My guess is open water.  making me mad losing hope on the ice

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:00 PM »
Really??? Hightest lake in Pa?  Always the first to freeze? I guess i go look myself!
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:25 PM »
I would imagine the wind we had here for the last 2 days would keep it from freezing up.  I drove around Lake Somerset yesterday around noon and there was very little skim ice on it.    I know it's colder up at High Point but I don't think the temps alone are enough to make ice with that wind.

Offline crazie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:57 PM »
yea that's what i figured.  this weather is unreal not looking good at all.  what is the closest place to follow high points weather.  i dont really know whats closes to the lake so i just watch Addison weather.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:43 PM »
Salisbury is probably the closest town but I'm not sure if their forecast is any different than what Addison's would be.   Here in Somerset I occasionally see a forecast for Central City instead of Somerset on the Weather Channel.  I have no idea if there is any way to get a different town's forecast.

I tried to fish up there one day about 4 years ago and when I pulled into the south launch it was blowing snow so bad I couldn't see even halfway across the lake.  I asked myself if I really wanted to go it those conditions and decided the answer was no.  I turned around and headed for home and as I started down the other side of the mountain toward Salisbury it was sunny and decent.  Thought maybe the weather had also changed at the lake so I turned around again and headed back up.  This time when I got to the launch it was even worse there than the first time.  Winds had to be at least 25 miles an hour.

That place is downright miserable at most times.  Really used to like the tip up fishing for pike though.  Haven't really done that well last 3 or 4 years since the pickerel seem to have taken over.  If the weather breaks I'll take  a ride up there and check it out.  Either last year or the year before there was a fellow who lived in Salisbury that was posting conditions.  Hopefully he's still on this site and can help with the conditions again.

Offline eyeassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Can anyone help me out with info on this lake.  I have never fished here but would like to try tomorrow.  I have no idea where to park or where good spots to try on the lake are i dont need a honey hole just an area to start working.  I live about 1hr 45min away and i want to take my brother who is home from college.  Any info would be great and Pm's are more than welcome.  Thanks for the help
PRU

Offline bbfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:17 PM »
Anywhere on the lake can be good. Most anglers stay on the upper half. I fished there on the 26th, 6 inches of new snow kept the holes blowing shut and made it hard pulling a sled. We did ok with several pike and pickerel on the ice.

Offline dary0362

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Anybody know how High Point faired thru all this rain?  Still fishable for this weekend (Feb 2)?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.