Author Topic: Clam Plate?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
Clam Plate?
« on: Nov 02, 2018, 09:26 AM »
 ???  Can anyone tell me the advantage of a Clam Plate, other than additional storage space and another 5 lbs?   I only use a 6 inch Nils with my DeWalt  and I have never had a problem drilling a couple dozen holes per day.  I sled the drill and its two batteries in the original case that it came in.  One hand warmer keeps the batteries warm on really cold days.
Dick

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Plate?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Guys like them for larger augers or to keep their drill off of the ice and snow while hole hopping. Its also a significantly stronger base to grip than just a drill for people who have trouble with their auger binding on them.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Other than having both hands holding on like a traditional auger I see no other advantage,  I don’t have the clam plate an I use the KDrill and a Nils.  I place my drill back in my sled after I’m done drilling holes
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2018, 11:42 AM »
???  Can anyone tell me the advantage of a Clam Plate, other than additional storage space and another 5 lbs?   I only use a 6 inch Nils with my DeWalt  and I have never had a problem drilling a couple dozen holes per day.  I sled the drill and its two batteries in the original case that it came in.  One hand warmer keeps the batteries warm on really cold days.
Dick
You won't need a Clam plate to spin a 6" Nils. Those plates are handy if you're running an 8" bit under one of the newer high torque drills giving the operator some leverage to control it.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2018, 12:09 PM »
I like the fact that it keeps the drill off the snow/ ice. I carry it on my 4 wheeler and if I am near my flipover ill put it back on my 4 wheeler. Lots of time ill venture away from my 4 wheeler drill a bunch of holes and hole hop, its convenient to sit it anywhere and not worry about the drill in the snow. I also like it because it does feel like the traditional power auger that most of us used to use. Also you never have to worry about the auger coming out of the chuck. I bought it and for me its worth the 60 dollars I spent on it.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2018, 12:54 PM »
Not true,not true-----I used a 6 in Nils auger with "Fuel drill" with their mickey mouse chuck adapter
when going through the ice it caught on the bottom of the hole and threw me on the ice,broke the chuck handle
I returned it and got a dewalt and the clam plate
I ENDED UP having shoulder surgery and was out for the last half of the ice season
So yeah the plate is a good investment----would have prevented a surgery

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Dick

When 800lbs+ of torque grabs the ice it’s nice having a strong, proper, grip. Your wrists will thank you. The plate makes it much more comfortable for me (for operation and safety). Another thing, you’re using a Nils. I’m assuming “sled” is suppose to be sold. Having said that, from what I understand, Nils cut like butter to begin with. For me, using an 8” Lazer, I’ve come to absolutely love my Milwaukee/Clam Plate combo. I use to drill 5 holes MAX per outing because I’m out of shape and I’d rather jig an empty hole than collapse trying to drill another lol. Now, I drill as many holes as it takes and the Plate makes for a much more humble experience. Is the plate necessary? Not at all. I’ve drilled many holes without it. However, I’m glad I have one.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2018, 02:24 PM »
When drilling holes with my K-Drill and / or Nils with my Milwaukee Fuel Drill i attach the side arm to my drill so it doesn't break my wrist. Takes a few seconds to attach it, then you have 2 hands on the drill, not one.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2018, 06:04 PM »
When drilling holes with my K-Drill and / or Nils with my Milwaukee Fuel Drill i attach the side arm to my drill so it doesn't break my wrist. Takes a few seconds to attach it, then you have 2 hands on the drill, not one.

X2
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2018, 06:19 PM »

Those handles were breaking left and right last season..

<°)))>{

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Those handles were breaking left and right last season..

<°)))>{
Not only that, the ergonomics of the grip to trigger cocks your wrist unless your standing right over it, which makes catching clothing a bit more likely. With the plate, you have both your wrists straight and have better balance as the auger is more in line with everything instead of forming a triangle between points of contact. For 6” augers you may not need it, depending on how much power is in your drill, but it still balances it all out.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:35 PM »
X 3 with an 8" Nils.
Know what you are using and how to use it safely.  ;)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2018, 09:32 AM »
I actually let the bottom/battery part of the drill contact the side of my torso when I drill, using my body as a stop. I kind of specifically lean towards it, it works perfect even with my 8" K-drill. I also have the 6" and even with the less torque I do the same thing, it works perfect.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:04 AM »
I actually let the bottom/battery part of the drill contact the side of my torso when I drill, using my body as a stop. I kind of specifically lean towards it, it works perfect even with my 8" K-drill. I also have the 6" and even with the less torque I do the same thing, it works perfect.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.