The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Solo ice fishing  (Read 1858 times)

Offline userid123456

• IceShanty Rookie
Solo ice fishing
« on: Feb 28, 2023, 09:10 PM »
Hey all. I have been out ice fishing a few times but I am planning on doing so more solo trips. Mostly posting to say hi but let me know if you have any tips for first time solo.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Solo ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2023, 10:19 PM »
Ice fishing involves hanging around out on the ice all day in all kinds of weather.  So learn how to layer up clothing so you can stay warm and comfortable while ice fishing.  This may involve buying some layers of insulating and shell clothing which are a couple sizes bigger than your usual size so you can wear them on top of a couple other layers.  Warm boots are key.  Because some lakes get deep and persistent slush on top of the ice, I recommend getting the most insulated pair of knee-high rubber boots you can find.  For example, if you look on the Cabelas website, they sell knee high rubber boots with several different levels of insulation.  My recommendation: get the warmest pair available, which has 2000 gram Thinsulate insulation in the toe area, and get them big enough so you can wear a couple layers of thick warm socks underneath them.  I have a pair of those boots, and love them.  Boots with leather in them will eventually leak and freeze your feet in slushy conditions.

If you go fishing with experienced ice anglers, you can use their auger, shelter, and other gear.  But if you're going out by yourself, you'll need to buy some of that gear.  This is a good time of year to buy ice fishing gear, as many retailers put their ice fishing gear and winter clothing on sale. On the other hand, the things you want may be sold out and out of stock.

Offline Guddefam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2023, 02:41 PM »
I would also add safety gear as a must before you go all out on the other gear.

Spud bar
Ice cleats
Ice picks
throw rope
These are what bring you home to your family at night.

Float suit if you can afford it, but not necessary, for starting out. Unless, of course you have money to blow.

I agree with pmmpete, spending the money to get a good pair of boots is definitely a must. If your feet are wet, they get cold, and if they’re cold, you will be miserable.

Offline Guddefam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2023, 02:43 PM »
I would also highly suggest a dry pair of warm clothes, either in your vehicle, or at least a dry pair of socks in your sled, just in case your feet get wet, or God for bid you go through the ice. Dry clothes might just save your life.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2023, 03:52 PM »
Let someone know where your going and when they can expect you back and let them know if you change or deviate from your plans.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2023, 12:52 PM »
Pack light, use a chisel (spud bar) to check ice as you go,  and get a float suit.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2023, 10:55 AM »
Find an ol' boy fishing alone also, usually they have great advice and willing to tell you if you hang out and BS a little!
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2023, 11:20 AM »
Howdy. I generally ice fish solo as well, only because my schedule is more open than most. Just make sure you got safe ice. If it's an area I ain't too sure about, I'll generally head out towards other groups, without gettin too close to their spot.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2023, 11:59 AM »
You should add your location to your profile county/state ...maybe a member nearby or a retail deal in area for needed items.

As folks have stated ...safety first ..getting a float suit is a no brainer ..todays fabric in float suit along side varying price points make them the best inexpensive piece of mind you can purchase. Ice Runner and Piscfun have some great affordable bibs/jackets . I would recommend at least 100g of insulation ...from there base layering can be used to accommodate the weather of the day. Boots ...going a size up is not a bad idea ...room to wiggle helps as does sock layering.

Carrying a throw bag is a good idea ...it can be used to help you and others .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2023, 01:11 PM »
He posted one time and never came back. But still a good thread for people to look at to get a good idea on how to stay safe and also some basics anyone fishing on ice should have. As already said, get the spud bar and USE it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2023, 01:21 PM »
He posted one time and never came back. But still a good thread for people to look at to get a good idea on how to stay safe and also some basics anyone fishing on ice should have. As already said, get the spud bar and USE it.

My buddy has the $24 one ...good deal

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-ice-chisel
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2023, 01:26 PM »
My buddy has the $24 one ...good deal

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-ice-chisel

That's the same one I have, except I think it was closer to $15 way back when I picked it up  :roflmao:

You can also cut a hole with it in a pinch, too, but you will work up a sweat. It is in no way, shape, or form sharp off the shelf.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2023, 01:46 PM »
Only thing I would recommend for people looking to get a Spud bar is to get one of the style in the link Hardwater Diehard posted, being one with an angled/chiseled tip. The squared off ones are miserable to use and take way to much work to get an idea on ice thickness.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.