Author Topic: Panoptics  (Read 12345 times)

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Panoptics
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2020, 03:25 PM »
Damn, never had to drill that much ice to find fish.  If your good enough and knowledgeable enough you don't need the panoptix.  It's called learning where the fish would normally be dependeding on weather conditions and time of year.  Also having a contour maps helps too.  If your drilling that much ice you should take up another sport or invest in the panoptix to help ya out a little or should I say A LOT ;D

If you are drilling that much ice you should take up another sport..... So helpful
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2020, 03:27 PM »
Not that little either, lol.  Most lakes I fish I have a pretty good idea where I'm goin to target them.  Gotta put a little time and homework in that's all.  I understand everyone has to justify why they dished the money out for that particular technology and that's totally cool.  No biggie.  When the day comes I have to spend that type of money because I can't catch or find fish, I'll quit fishing....but that probably ain't happening :roflmao:

And this is so much help to the Original Post too.....
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 14, 2020, 03:35 PM »
If you are drilling that much ice you should take up another sport..... So helpful

Alright, get over it, stop your whining....life is too short. 

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 14, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Alright, get over it, stop your whining....life is too short.

Do you have anything to offer as help on this post?
If not go be a troll somewhere else, you spoil this forum for people looking for help.
I actually offered advice and help but not you, why is that? Do you not like to help? Do you have nothing to offer as far as help or is it just make fun of people. tell em to quit the sport if they suck so much they need fancy tech?

Sad, seems like you have experience, too bad you won't help people and only seem to dog them. Must suck to be you. Sorry
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 14, 2020, 04:01 PM »
I see a place that has the ice package for $2307 with a rebate for another $200 available.  Still a lot of money but I'm a sucker for fishing gear so I check the deals every now and then.  Maybe sell my LX6 to help offset the cost.  Another concern is how rapidly the technology changes.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out with a more streamlined package (eliminate the black box) in the near future and that would be a plus.

You can bet they will eventually consolidate the black box into the head unit, it will be more compact and weigh less.  Meanwhile when people are waiting on that technology to become available (or even something better), the Livescope was here to be used today. Life is getting shorter every day, if you can afford what makes you happy, why not...then you too can be belittled by someone that is probably jealous because he doesn't have the wherewithal to buy one. ;)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2020, 04:09 PM »
Do you have anything to offer as help on this post?
If not go be a troll somewhere else, you spoil this forum for people looking for help.
I actually offered advice and help but not you, why is that? Do you not like to help? Do you have nothing to offer as far as help or is it just make fun of people. tell em to quit the sport if they suck so much they need fancy tech?

Sad, seems like you have experience, too bad you won't help people and only seem to dog them. Must suck to be you. Sorry

Always happy to share my experience and also more than happy to take advice or learn from others.  I've provided other members with any information I could give them in the past if I knew enough about what they are asking.  Again putting words in my mouth, never said anybody sucked because they use high tech equipment?!?  So I'm goin to be the gentleman here and let this go....you need to learn to relax and not get offended by what every person says out there

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 14, 2020, 04:09 PM »
You can bet they will eventually consolidate the black box into the head unit, it will be more compact and weigh less.  Meanwhile when people are waiting on that technology to become available (or even something better), the Livescope was here to be used today. Life is getting shorter every day, if you can afford what makes you happy, why not...then you too can be belittled by someone that is probably jealous because he doesn't have the wherewithal to buy one. ;)

Yeah the deals will get better too. I bought mine in the middle of Summer. I have looked at the LS32 with the black box, but haven't seen many deals on it yet. Like I need to add weight to the Panoptix that I have, thing is a heavy beast for sure. Sounds bad but was almost hoping my battery would die so I could get a Lithium Ion one as they weigh a fair amount less than the lead acid. Still think it was a good investment. For me it has taught me a bunch about my presentation of bait, how fast or slow to jig, a bunch. And combine it with an underwater camera and wow it has taught me a bunch in a short time. Still don't slay them. But I am getting better at finding them and getting them to come in n check my lure out.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 14, 2020, 04:45 PM »
then you too can be belittled by someone that is probably jealous because he doesn't have the wherewithal to buy one. ;)

Lol, funds are definitely not an issue here to buy one, I just don't need to spend that type of money to find and catch fish.  Buy what makes you happy, not trying to belittle anyone here....jeez, people are too sensitive these days.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2020, 04:51 PM »
Yeah the deals will get better too. I bought mine in the middle of Summer. I have looked at the LS32 with the black box, but haven't seen many deals on it yet. Like I need to add weight to the Panoptix that I have, thing is a heavy beast for sure. Sounds bad but was almost hoping my battery would die so I could get a Lithium Ion one as they weigh a fair amount less than the lead acid. Still think it was a good investment. For me it has taught me a bunch about my presentation of bait, how fast or slow to jig, a bunch. And combine it with an underwater camera and wow it has taught me a bunch in a short time. Still don't slay them. But I am getting better at finding them and getting them to come in n check my lure out.

I bought my Livescope in November of 2018.  You are right on the weight with the Livescope, even with the Lithium battery, carrying it, the rod and an auger at the same time is a handful if you are by yourself tracking down fish (that is where a small sleigh to put it in would be handy), two people works better for that scenario.  I carry my Livescope on the snowmobile (don't bother with a sleigh, though I do have one) and fish by myself a lot in a skid shack on my home lake.  My skid shack has 4 holes in line, the Livescope sees all the holes, it is really interesting to see what bait or presentation the fish react to on any given day.  I use two poles, one with a jig and minnow, one with a small tungsten jig/waxy or similar, sometimes a fish will pass through, turn up it's nose at a minnow, but hit the tungsten jig, or visa versa, sometimes it all in the presentation, with the Panoptics I have the ability to see what is going on and change things up as needed. I feel really bad about being a poor fisherman and catching more fish than I used too, but am getting over it.  :)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:20 PM »
I feel really bad about being a poor fisherman and catching more fish than I used too, but am getting over it.  :)

Don't worry, some of us are catching just as many but just paying less per fish ;D. Sorry I had to, I didn't really mean that...

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:22 PM »
Lol, funds are definitely not an issue here to buy one, I just don't need to spend that type of money to find and catch fish.  Buy what makes you happy, not trying to belittle anyone here....jeez, people are too sensitive these days.

Says he doesn't want to belittle anyone, does in the sentence beforehand... ::)

Back to the topic at hand. I made a little hole-hop rod holder to use with my Livescope setup:

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:25 PM »
Says he doesn't want to belittle anyone, does in the sentence beforehand... ::)

Back to the topic at hand. I made a little hole-hop rod holder to use with my Livescope setup:

Looks nice, but it still would be cumbersome to carry my Livescope with the transducer holder set for 3 feet of ice. It is one piece and telescopes with a tripod that telescopes out as well.

Also, I just bought a third party transducer holder, should arrive tomorrow.  Will keep you posted on how it works.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:42 PM »
Looks nice, but it still would be cumbersome to carry my Livescope with the transducer holder set for 3 feet of ice. It is one piece and telescopes with a tripod that telescopes out as well.

Also, I just bought a third party transducer holder, should arrive tomorrow.  Will keep you posted on how it works.

If you got the Summit one it's awesome. I got the shorter one and like it a lot. I'm going to work on making a diy 12" extension for it. I don't see needing more than the shorter pole and that extension any time soon.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:44 PM »
You can bet they will eventually consolidate the black box into the head unit, it will be more compact and weigh less...

Looks like Garmin may have already done that with the EchoMAP Ultra models ...

"Built-in support for the full line of Panoptix™ sonars and the Panoptix LiveScope™ scanning sonar system, including Panoptix LiveScope LVS12 sonar"

... but still expensive of course!
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:48 PM »
If you got the Summit one it's awesome. I got the shorter one and like it a lot. I'm going to work on making a diy 12" extension for it. I don't see needing more than the shorter pole and that extension any time soon.

Exactly the one that I got. Should make things easier.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:52 PM »
Looks like Garmin may have already done that with the EchoMAP Ultra models ...

"Built-in support for the full line of Panoptix™ sonars and the Panoptix LiveScope™ scanning sonar system, including Panoptix LiveScope LVS12 sonar"

Also .... "ECHOMAP Plus 70cv/70sv/90sv series combos support optional Panoptix LiveScope LVS12 sonar (no black boxes required) plus the full line of Panoptix all-seeing sonar transducers."
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:04 PM »
Also .... "ECHOMAP Plus 70cv/70sv/90sv series combos support optional Panoptix LiveScope LVS12 sonar (no black boxes required) plus the full line of Panoptix all-seeing sonar transducers."

The LVS12 is not the livescope you want...

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:08 PM »
Thanks to those that offered explanation/help. I’ll get it figured out.   

A lot (most) of our lakes are big bowls, not much structure or weeds. Trying to track down roaming fish is difficult.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:16 PM »
Surprise, surprise! Seems Garmin is providing some conflicting info. Apparently the EchoMAP Plus models are not compatible with the LVS12 after all, although the Ultra models are.

On the other hand the LVS12 ...

"Provides 30-degree forward and 30-degree down real-time scanning sonar views"

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/636902/pn/010-02143-00#overview

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Says he doesn't want to belittle anyone, does in the sentence beforehand

??? If that's what u think.... ::)

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:23 AM »
Thanks to those that offered explanation/help. I’ll get it figured out.   

A lot (most) of our lakes are big bowls, not much structure or weeds. Trying to track down roaming fish is difficult.

yeah i get that.  for me the tool is simply an easy way to eliminate water at a much faster clip than the old way of drilling out a spot.   Its also useful for chasing roaming schools around.  obviously you still have to be in the right spots initially. 

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 19, 2020, 11:01 AM »

Is this the set-up you have?
https://summitfishingequipment.com/collections/transducer-poles-arms-and-ice-mounts/products/transducer-pole-and-ice-mount-combo

I'm looking hard at it, and I'm would appreciate any info you have about it.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 19, 2020, 11:37 AM »
Is this the set-up you have?
https://summitfishingequipment.com/collections/transducer-poles-arms-and-ice-mounts/products/transducer-pole-and-ice-mount-combo

I'm looking hard at it, and I'm would appreciate any info you have about it.

Thanks,
Mark

I did get the Summit and it worked just as expected. Kayl was justified in his recommendation.

It is SOOOO much easier to get the Livescope set up once I get to the location. Great not having to screw together all those little parts of the old Garmin stand. The tripod folds up neatly as does the directional handle on top. Great design to have the shaft "keyed" so that the handle is always pointing with the transducer. I use the D-clip that holds on the transducer to capture the cable as well. Great design.

Only 1 con or concern, in Minnesota we have some extreme cold and I had the bottom shaft freeze inside the shaft it telescopes into (both are metal). It had to get warmed/thawed out to get it extended again. Nothing fatal, but nice to know.

Great product and far easier to use than the stock Garmin one.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 19, 2020, 11:56 AM »
I did get the Summit and it worked just as expected. Kayl was justified in his recommendation.

It is SOOOO much easier to get the Livescope set up once I get to the location. Great not having to screw together all those little parts of the old Garmin stand. The tripod folds up neatly as does the directional handle on top. Great design to have the shaft "keyed" so that the handle is always pointing with the transducer. I use the D-clip that holds on the transducer to capture the cable as well. Great design.

Only 1 con or concern, in Minnesota we have some extreme cold and I had the bottom shaft freeze inside the shaft it telescopes into (both are metal). It had to get warmed/thawed out to get it extended again. Nothing fatal, but nice to know.

Great product and far easier to use than the stock Garmin one.

Thanks!

I was able to get a contact Email by creating an account, and they answered all my questions within 5 minutes of sending the Email. I will be testing the Summit Ice mount out next week!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 20, 2020, 06:59 AM »
Thanks!

I was able to get a contact Email by creating an account, and they answered all my questions within 5 minutes of sending the Email. I will be testing the Summit Ice mount out next week!

Like you, I just ordered an extra pole from Summit (very quick response from him), will use it when moving around and leave my home made one in the permanent shack when fishing out of it.  Had the unit sent to a friend in Illinois that will bring it to me when he comes up later this week, will be interested to see how it works.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:40 AM »
You won’t regret it. Garmin should buy the design.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:27 PM »
almost everyone we met on our trip to MN this weekend became a believer.  on one lake we fished among a smattering of permanents.  we moved all around them and were catching fish one right after another.  A guy came out of his shack and is like how are you guys doing that and showed him he waslike hot dang. 

we also had people coming over to see it the entire weekend. 

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Oct 06, 2020, 10:56 AM »
It's funny cause I've seen guys get outfished that have the livescope by guys that have just the traditional style flashers.  Yikes that embarrassing...

I see guys fishing on buckets with nothing more than a rod and bait, and catching limits.  Unfortunately I am not that good so I like help.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Nov 07, 2020, 11:32 AM »
Ice fishing, even more than warm weather fishing, has a split personality. I do enjoy fishing simply, with home made gear and hand lining in fish. I have been at it long enough to remember pre- flasher/camera/lake map fishing, with rods made out of the top of busted summer rods (bamboo) and pieces of broomstick for handles. I also like trying new things, and learning new ways to catch more fish. We sure catch more than we used to, but at the same time, more people are practicing catch and release, and are trying to conserve the resource.
Every advance, even the sharing of advice and fishing reports on Ice Shanty, has some good and bad effects on the experience, and everyone has their own opinion. What I like about this forum is that people try to be polite about it.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Nov 11, 2020, 12:42 PM »
I love my Livescope. It has helped me catch more fish for sure. I and my friends that fish together are getting a little bit long in the tooth to be hole hopping and drilling endless holes. Some of the guys can't afford the Livescope so we find the fish and then everyone gets to catch. That's fun. For instance with panfish, crappie specifically, we know on this one lake that the schools of big fish feed almost exclusively at night. I set up where I had caught them on a previous trip, and my brother asked where I thought he should set up, I looked at my Livescope and directed him to an edge where I thought those schools might travel as they moved out of a big bay to roam the basin after dark. As dusk approached it was obvious that he definitely was in "The Spot", and the rest of us moved closer to that drop off that was funneling them. We caught a lot of fish. So we don't necessarily just use it to find fish. I've tried it and they move so much that I just can't keep up with it. So we adapted our tactics to fish for those big slabs at night when they are more aggressively searching for food, and let them come to us. For me there just isn't anything like watching those fish come in and be able to actually see them react in real time to my jigs! I have to admit I'm addicted. I guess it's a lot better than the other things I was addicted to in the good ole days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3waM9Rda02g

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.