Author Topic: Panoptics  (Read 12342 times)

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
Panoptics
« on: Jan 31, 2020, 02:53 PM »
I’ve been using a Panoptics 73cv this ice season, along with Vexilar FLX-28. Using it to locate fish. I can say it’s not the game changer I anticipated.
I’m pretty mobile, fishing from an ATV. I routinely drill 30 + holes searching. More often I cover the lake without locating any fish. I’ve used it on everything from small private ponds to large several hundred acre lakes.
What’s your experience with it?

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Panoptics
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2020, 06:11 PM »
I have had Panoptix Livescope for over a year, there are normally always fish of some sort to be seen.  There must be an issue with your adjustments, or equipment.  It is a learning experience, in my case there was no one in my area that had one, so reading up and reaching out on the internet were the only options.  In the last year there are countless units being used out there if you are in the US, (and you must be if you are fishing off of an ATV) if there are any in your area, try to hook up with someone to show you some pointers, or just ask online.  These units are game changers.

Offline sleddog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2020, 08:12 AM »
I do see fish on the screen & a few times have been able to move toward them & be successful. In down view I see my bait & fish approach. I like the area down view lets you see.
I’m trying to use it for locating fish, Crappie, Bluegill & Perch. It’s just not the game changer I was expecting.
I will be fishing with a friend/guide that uses Panoptics. Hopefully he’ll help me be more successful.
It only makes sense it should make locating fish easier.
Thanks for your input

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:37 AM »
i guess i'm not understanding what you are wanting it to show you and why its not the game changer you anticipated. 

panoptix will show you fish and structure from side to side when set up correctly you should be able to find fish and structure without having to drill many holes compared to the ole ground and pound lets drill out 3000 sqr ft of fish. 

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:32 PM »
i guess i'm not understanding what you are wanting it to show you and why its not the game changer you anticipated. 

panoptix will show you fish and structure from side to side when set up correctly you should be able to find fish and structure without having to drill many holes compared to the ole ground and pound lets drill out 3000 sqr ft of fish.

Damn, never had to drill that much ice to find fish.  If your good enough and knowledgeable enough you don't need the panoptix.  It's called learning where the fish would normally be dependeding on weather conditions and time of year.  Also having a contour maps helps too.  If your drilling that much ice you should take up another sport or invest in the panoptix to help ya out a little or should I say A LOT ;D

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:43 PM »
Damn, never had to drill that much ice to find fish.  If your good enough and knowledgeable enough you don't need the panoptix.  It's called learning where the fish would normally be dependeding on weather conditions and time of year.  Also having a contour maps helps too.  If your drilling that much ice you should take up another sport or invest in the panoptix to help ya out a little or should I say A LOT ;D

If you are psychic you don't need a panoptix either.  But I am not and I think that they are absolutely awesome.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:46 PM »
side scan is a bit tricky sometimes to catch perch and other bottom hugging fish. Rotate slow, stop and watch the bottom for a few moments, usually you will see it kind of flash and fidget a bit where bottom huggers are. I found that if you rotate it around too fast while side scanning sometimes you will not notice the bottom huggers all that well. Slow the rotation down, let them have a chance to poke up enough off the bottom to see it flash n fidget. In 20ft of water you will only see out maybe 40-50ft with any level of accuracy.  now fish up in the water column you should see with no problems at all but those darn bottom huggers take a bit more patience to see. Once you see the bottom do its flash n fidget a few times it will be easier to recognize that is likely a fish on the bottom.  I run the 73CV with the lp22 ducer so I don't have the fancy live scan view, maybe it is easier to see them bottom huggers with it. Also when you see the bottom fidget, I sometimes kinda rock the boom back n forth in the hole to change the angle of the ducer just slightly. I have found that this will sometimes, not always, give enough difference that the bottom fidget becomes more pronounced. I think slight change to the angle let it see different cross sections and makes that flashy fidget show up more. I'm still figuring it all out and get better at detecting fish every time I go out.  If you are hole hoping and do get on a school, pull out and go over to an old hole and sidescan back at where you know there are fish. This may help you start to pickup the flash fidget sign of bottom huggers.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:49 PM »

3000sqft Is not that much. Only 30'x100'
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:24 PM »

And you know where a school of crappie may be swimming at any given time in a several hundred acre deep water basin that has no structure?  It would be nice to be good enough and knowledgeable enough to be able to do that!  For some of us mortal souls, the Panoptix is a help.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2020, 06:42 PM »
3000sqft Is not that much. Only 30'x100'

Not that little either, lol.  Most lakes I fish I have a pretty good idea where I'm goin to target them.  Gotta put a little time and homework in that's all.  I understand everyone has to justify why they dished the money out for that particular technology and that's totally cool.  No biggie.  When the day comes I have to spend that type of money because I can't catch or find fish, I'll quit fishing....but that probably ain't happening :roflmao:

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:58 PM »
I have to say that you're the only one I've heard of being disappointed with it. I had the original panoptix and now have Livescope and can't imagine going back to the flasher. Today I put myself and my friend on top of schools of roving gills and crappies non-stop.

It makes finding cribs, brush piles, etc as simple as pie.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:50 AM »
I have to say that you're the only one I've heard of being disappointed with it. I had the original panoptix and now have Livescope and can't imagine going back to the flasher. Today I put myself and my friend on top of schools of roving gills and crappies non-stop.

It makes finding cribs, brush piles, etc as simple as pie.

It's funny cause I've seen guys get outfished that have the livescope by guys that have just the traditional style flashers.  Yikes that embarrassing...

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:28 AM »
It's funny cause I've seen guys get outfished that have the livescope by guys that have just the traditional style flashers.  Yikes that embarrassing...

Yup, it still doesn't make the fish bite or teach someone how to jig or what presentation to use. It's a lot of fun to see fish come in though!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:05 AM »
And you know where a school of crappie may be swimming at any given time in a several hundred acre deep water basin that has no structure?  It would be nice to be good enough and knowledgeable enough to be able to do that!  For some of us mortal souls, the Panoptix is a help.

if you fish the same bodies of water for many years and do the same ole same ole everytime, you don't need to drill a lot of holes.

most of our bodies of water are unmapped, no boat access, and we try and fish new bodies of water all the time.  always on the hunt so prior to panoptix we put our drills and augers through their paces each season.  its what made the justification to panoptix palatable. 

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:58 AM »
Still like figuring it out on new bodies of water like the good old days, more rewarding and still catch fish. ;D

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:18 AM »
I'll join the "livescope is not exactly what I hoped" group.   It does a lot, it makes finding structure wonderful.   It is very entertaining.  I can easily get on gills, and crappies, but the machine doesn't make them bigger.
It also had a 500ms delay.   It weighs a ton,  the transducer is awkward to haul around.  I built my system.  For 2300 bucks, I could have booked several trips with the perch patrol, or any number of other guide services.  My real fear is that a Garmin will release a significantly better system in the next year, and I'll be filled with regret.
The most frustrating thing is that it shows suspended fish very well, but the drilling spooks the fish. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:00 AM »
To the OP. Sounds like you are just going through the learning curve. Good deal you are going to be fishing with someone how uses one, without a doubt will help! I don’t think I will be buying one any time soon. Watched a guy get one setup in an area I could have told him held fish. Not because I know the lake but because he was setting up along a tree line along a channel. I drilled probably 15 holes in an area between the shore and where the twisting line of trees were. Had some marks and started fishing. Went from around 10 fow out to around 16 fow. Found some nice crappie at 14 fow. So the came on the ice right after me. Started drilling holes just as I decided to drop my jig. By the time I saw him drop his first bait I had almost half my limit. By the time I had my limit he was still fiddling with his unit. Maybe he was a new user and going through the curve. To the folks that have them and will never go back to a simpler unit great! Someday I hope to see one in action. To the folks who say don’t need one great! Just another tool to get the job done! An example. I tried an electric knife. Still haven’t learned how to do a good job with it. Still a good tool. Don’t mean that folks who love electric knifes can’t get the job done without one. My main deal is getting out when my back will allow it so going back to a simpler time. Does that mean I leave most of my toys at home? No! But if I can’t see pictures of the fish I have no problem with that. Some folks like the newest stuff some folks are happy with what the have. Sorry for the rambling. Season getting close to being over in most places. Get out as often as you still can and use whatever tools you got to get the fish in the grease!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:12 AM »
It also had a 500ms delay.   It weighs a ton,  the transducer is awkward to haul around.

Change your tvg and interference settings to get rid of the delay. I agree on the weight, I'm betting that they'll release a head unit that doesn't need the black box in the future. I won't be an immediate upgrader, but that would be huge!

The Summit fishing pole is 100x better than the Garmin system; I'd recommend you check it out.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:43 PM »
To the OP. Sounds like you are just going through the learning curve. Good deal you are going to be fishing with someone how uses one, without a doubt will help! I don’t think I will be buying one any time soon. Watched a guy get one setup in an area I could have told him held fish. Not because I know the lake but because he was setting up along a tree line along a channel. I drilled probably 15 holes in an area between the shore and where the twisting line of trees were. Had some marks and started fishing. Went from around 10 fow out to around 16 fow. Found some nice crappie at 14 fow. So the came on the ice right after me. Started drilling holes just as I decided to drop my jig. By the time I saw him drop his first bait I had almost half my limit. By the time I had my limit he was still fiddling with his unit. Maybe he was a new user and going through the curve. To the folks that have them and will never go back to a simpler unit great! Someday I hope to see one in action. To the folks who say don’t need one great! Just another tool to get the job done! An example. I tried an electric knife. Still haven’t learned how to do a good job with it. Still a good tool. Don’t mean that folks who love electric knifes can’t get the job done without one. My main deal is getting out when my back will allow it so going back to a simpler time. Does that mean I leave most of my toys at home? No! But if I can’t see pictures of the fish I have no problem with that. Some folks like the newest stuff some folks are happy with what the have. Sorry for the rambling. Season getting close to being over in most places. Get out as often as you still can and use whatever tools you got to get the fish in the grease!
Keep it safe! JDL

my first experience was with a friend out on a basin.  we knew that there were cribs but we'd never marked them.  we fished one pond and had found them but it took almost 2 hours before we really found them.   we caughta  few fish scattered but just kept searching. 

we went out onto another lake on the property that we knew had similar structure and found the cribs within a handful of minutes.   he was pretty experienced with his unit so he knew what he was looking for.   

That said i've also gone out with another gentlemen who hadn't used his much and it was quite and ordeal for him to manuver around with it.  Its definitely a bulky apparatus as opposed to a flasher/lcd unit so you have to factor that in but once a system is down, fishing unmapped bodies of water with no visual cues above the water its a pretty effective machine. 

The OP needs to remember that A) the effective range of side view is only 5x the depth of water you are in.   and B) a 100 foot diameter circle of coverage is not that much area.   you still have to homework your spots and/or drill.   it just makes it easier to cover a 10k sqr ft basin

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:25 PM »
Damn, never had to drill that much ice to find fish.  If your good enough and knowledgeable enough you don't need the panoptix. It's called learning where the fish would normally be dependeding on weather conditions and time of year.  Also having a contour maps helps too.  If your drilling that much ice you should take up another sport or invest in the panoptix to help ya out a little or should I say A LOT ;D

Gotta kindly disagree with that statement, you make it sound like you can drill one hole and be on them, all the time, based on year and conditions.

If your that good. I'll fish with you anytime  :)

Why do most guides and professional fisherman use them??

Im sure they know how to fish and they have certainly put in their time, they have their spots to hit, etc...

They use them because they work and help them produce fish for clients, which makes them generate more business. It cut down on the time wasted drilling those holes.

The technology works. It's a matter of what each person chooses to spend their money on.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2020, 07:34 AM »
Gotta kindly disagree with that statement, you make it sound like you can drill one hole and be on them, all the time, based on year and conditions.

If your that good. I'll fish with you anytime  :)

Why do most guides and professional fisherman use them??

Im sure they know how to fish and they have certainly put in their time, they have their spots to hit, etc...

They use them because they work and help them produce fish for clients, which makes them generate more business. It cut down on the time wasted drilling those holes.

The technology works. It's a matter of what each person chooses to spend their money on.

I NEVER said I can drill 'one' hole and be on fish 'all the time', lol.  That would truly be amazing if anybody could do that.  First of all guide services are in it to make $$$, that's a little different when part or all of your yearly income is from guiding, gotta keep your clients happy. 

Without a doubt panoptix is the finest technology out there right now and I don't care one bit what people choose to spend there money on, thats all personal preference, never really said anything about that.

And as far as wasting time?!?  Believe me, every second matters to me out there but I still like to actually 'hunt' for the fish and use my head a to think about where they might be.  Not always easy but DEFINITELY much more rewarding.  Panoptix is kinda for the lazy fishermen.  Like shooting fish out of a barrel. :icefish:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2020, 07:56 AM »
Being outdoors or fishing is never a waste of time.and if im out there and it takes a few more hours and holes to find fish so be it.i sit out all day regardless if i catch fish or not anyways because i enjoy it.guess instead of panoptix i will buy extra blades for my auger for the fish search.alot cheaper.jmo.no hate toward any panoptix users its just not my style.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2020, 08:18 AM »
someone who tells me a piece of technology is for lazy people better do all their fishing with a hand auger, schooley rod, and nothing that uses a transducer down a hole.  otherwise sounds pretty lazy. 

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2020, 08:31 AM »
someone who tells me a piece of technology is for lazy people better do all their fishing with a hand auger, schooley rod, and nothing that uses a transducer down a hole.  otherwise sounds pretty lazy.

Lol i still do, just not all the time.   :thumbsup: I put a post on hear a while back saying how I still go out on what I call 'traditional' outings.  Fishing blind, with a chiseled, not hand augered hole and fiberglass blank with two nails on the handle for my line.  Most the time have modern gear out especially fishing with friends but the technology has made it MUCH easier for the average ice fishermen now, can't deny that.  Don't consider myself lazy.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:02 AM »
Lol i still do, just not all the time.   :thumbsup: I put a post on hear a while back saying how I still go out on what I call 'traditional' outings.  Fishing blind, with a chiseled, not hand augered hole and fiberglass blank with two nails on the handle for my line.  Most the time have modern gear out especially fishing with friends but the technology has made it MUCH easier for the average ice fishermen now, can't deny that.  Don't consider myself lazy.

Not lazy...more a bleeding heart nostalgia that drives that kind of behavior. Nothing wrong with it, but it underscores the fact that actually catching fish is simply one possible byproduct of your fishing “experience.”  Almost as if bringing fish home is besides the point. Nostalgia and reliving memories simply takes priority over a few filets.

Do I understand?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:21 AM »
Wow!
this post starts out with somebody asking for help on figuring out how to run a piece of gear and quickly descends into "Trollville". Yeah I'm F***ing LAZY. Work 60+ hrs a week, get up at 430am to drive 2hrs to haul 150-200lbs of gear out on the ice by hand so I can use my LAZY Panoptix. If you don't have something constructive to say and or real help to offer then Frankly I think you are a disgruntled Troll. Sad. I come on here to help and get help not bad mouth people and their gear. I have seen too much of this from people who respond to a post not to offer help or constructive criticism but simply to dog other people and be a Troll. Panoptix is just another tool. When used properly it can help those who don't have 30+yrs ice fishing experience to get on some fish. I have drilled one hole scanned and my next hole was on fish, it can be done. Does it happen that way everytime? Hell No. Does it make me better than you? Hell No.  But if someone is asking for HELP do you dog them, call them lazy, and offer no real Help? If so then you need to take a look at your self and stop pointing fingers at others and dogging people who are asking for help.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2020, 12:30 PM »
I see a place that has the ice package for $2307 with a rebate for another $200 available.  Still a lot of money but I'm a sucker for fishing gear so I check the deals every now and then.  Maybe sell my LX6 to help offset the cost.  Another concern is how rapidly the technology changes.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out with a more streamlined package (eliminate the black box) in the near future and that would be a plus. 

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2020, 02:01 PM »
Wow!
this post starts out with somebody asking for help on figuring out how to run a piece of gear and quickly descends into "Trollville". Yeah I'm F***ing LAZY. Work 60+ hrs a week, get up at 430am to drive 2hrs to haul 150-200lbs of gear out on the ice by hand so I can use my LAZY Panoptix. If you don't have something constructive to say and or real help to offer then Frankly I think you are a disgruntled Troll. Sad. I come on here to help and get help not bad mouth people and their gear. I have seen too much of this from people who respond to a post not to offer help or constructive criticism but simply to dog other people and be a Troll. Panoptix is just another tool. When used properly it can help those who don't have 30+yrs ice fishing experience to get on some fish. I have drilled one hole scanned and my next hole was on fish, it can be done. Does it happen that way everytime? Hell No. Does it make me better than you? Hell No.  But if someone is asking for HELP do you dog them, call them lazy, and offer no real Help? If so then you need to take a look at your self and stop pointing fingers at others and dogging people who are asking for help.

:clap:

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2020, 02:57 PM »
Wow!

Yea I work those long hours too, I'm far from lazy.  A lot of people work hard.  Calm down and get a grip!  Just making a statement about the technology and your taking to the next level....you like your troll description I see ::)

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2020, 03:23 PM »

Bigfoot86... this is offering help.... NOT!
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.