New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: OK LETS TRY THIS AGAIN. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS FISH IS  (Read 20309 times)

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
again  a misinformed  person ,bowfin belong to a family called Amiiformes! which also include  gar and sturgon! again the picture the person wishes  idenified is  a burbit!  the scale and  skin ling again is locale names give , which are  great  if you are  talking to someone from that ares however  that is not there names elsewhere.and  a majorty  does not make  anything right... i use  our presant political arena  as a example

Just because you can spout a scientific name and a bunch of (misspelled) words does not make your fish ID correct.  The fish in the pictures is a bowfin.  I have an education and work experience in fisheries, and that includes fish identification. 

To IFISHY:  well said.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
again i suggest you look at the  web sites i posted!  thats a burbit!  sorry i don't care who you are or what you do , now  lets also state  that no biologist would  make a statement without examining the fish and not  just a photo , reason i make  my statements is simple  one can not clearly see the fins to count the rays this leaves  one thing to look for  the spot found  by the tail whisch is not found on that fish ...(The most distinctive characteristic of the bowfin is its very long dorsal fin consisting of 145 to 250 rays, and running from mid-back to the base of the tail. The caudal fin is a single lobe, though heterocercal[1]. They can grow up to 109 centimetres (43 in) in length, and weigh 9.75 kilograms (21.5 lb).[2] Other noticeable features are the black "eye spot" usually found high on the caudal peduncle) like i said you all have computors  try using google ...... thats a burbit!!!!!

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Actually, a bowfin does not need to be looked at that closely to distinguish it from a burbot (that is the correct spelling of burbot, by the way).  I have used fin ray counts and specimen dissection to identify many fish, but it is not necessary in this case.  It would be like counting the fin rays on a bluegill to make sure it isn't a brook trout.  

Bowfin would be more commonly misidentified as a Northern snakehead by the general fishing population, but it is not one of those either.

If you don't want to listen, fine.  But it is your loss in not correcting your fish ID rather than mine.  Your spouting of wikipedia's references doesn't mean much except that you know how to read.  Knowing how to interpret the words though, and apply it to fish identification, that is a different story.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
sorry thats a burbit or  burbot and  i'm glad you got away with  years without having to id  a burbot :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

do you see  a black eye  by the tail???? are your  telling me  bowfins  don't have them?????

it's real easy!!!!  and i'll show you the differance  between a  sunfish and a brook trout next week

i am surprized at how many biologist  jump out of the woodwork everytime this is  brought up! my

spelling may  stink but your  fish iding abilitys are worse

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
the black eye spot is a characteristic of the bowfin yes however it is not present on all bowfin and therefore cannot be used as a sole identifiying mark.  burbots never have the spot bowfins sometimes have the spot. so spot means bowfin no spot means nothing.
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
you guys are funny ..... all worked up over a trash fish .....

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
anyone wanna take bets on when RG moves this to the grumpy old men thread??
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Its not the Kill,Its the Thrill of the Chase"
Very entertaining,Love when You can feel Blood pressure over the waves-LOL-

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Trapper,

I don't think you understand the point here.  Not having a prominent black spot does not make the fish a burbot.  You are basing your fish ID on one part of the color pattern, which is a leading mistake of most rookie fish identifications.  They can have the black spot, at least at times, but not every fish will have one at all times.

I'll switch it up a bit...here is what makes this fish NOT a burbot even at a quick glance:  

1)  A short anal fin.  Burbot have a long, narrow anal fin which is about as long as the dorsal fin.

2)  Ventral fins set back in the mid-section of the body.  Burbot have ventral fins right under the throat area, even farther forward than the pectoral fins.

3)  A robust body shape.  Burbot have a very slender body when compared with this fish, especially in the tail region.  

4)  Large scales.  Every burbot I have encountered in my work has had very tiny scales that are embedded, with the appearance of having skin like a bullhead.  

Still, neither of those species is a trash fish.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
nope  they are  considered trash fish! and 1648 views in less then a few hours!  i'm good for ratings lol

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
Dude, it's a Bowfin (Amia calva)

Burbot (according to Cornell):
http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Gadidae/gadidae.html

Bowfin (according to Cornell):
http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Amiidae/bowfin.html

Looks like you may have to contact the biologists at Cornell University and tell them that they are wrong, that they have them backwards!!! :roflmao:

the difference
http://www.walleyes.org/wolakechron/difference.htm

If I catch a redfish and it has no spot, does that mean it isn't a redfish?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
anyone wanna take bets on when RG moves this to the grumpy old men thread??
Ahhh, the ice is taking a hit and a bit of cabin fever is setting in. Have at it...be gentlemen ( and Ladies). Next we'll start the "It's a Salmon....it's a Brown trout".........."It's a White bass....It's a White Perch....."It's a Sunfish......It's a Punkinseed".....thread.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
Some SERIOUS cabin fever setting in RG ....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
i'm wondering how much ice we lost! and  couldn't fish today ...does take the edge off a bit  hahahahaha

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
guys i really appreciate everyone telling me what the fish is. but lets relax a little bit. if you dont agree with what someone else is saying just leave it at that. you dont agree. no need for arguing over it. its a real old fish looks like a dino and fights like heck. lets just go with that.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
i think it's a cross...more or less a hybred between a  burot snakehead and bowfin , last one caught the smithsonian paid a million bucks  for!

http://www.smithsonian..burbot/snakehead/bowfincross

you did save the fish right????

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hahaha ;) yeah i saved it. its going up for auction tomorrow.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
i'm not sure if it's legal to auction a burbot

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
i'm not sure if it's legal to auction a burbot

perhaps not, but he would have to catch a Burbot first, in order to sell one...

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
not legal at all. going too dabble in the black market a little ;) ;)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
jim see what i mean they still ain't caught on buddy....RG  1758 views i'm doing good!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
 Land Locked salmon anyone ? or Brown Trout........ >:D 
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline FISH2163

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any one have a picture of a Burbot? Are they the ones with the single barbel under the chins?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Land Locked salmon anyone ? or Brown Trout........ >:D 

forked tail? spots or crosses   does it have a large spot on it's tail =))

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
again  a misinformed  person ,bowfin belong to a family called Amiiformes! which also include  gar and sturgon! again the picture the person wishes  idenified is  a burbit!  the scale and  skin ling again is locale names give , which are  great  if you are  talking to someone from that ares however  that is not there names elsewhere.and  a majorty  does not make  anything right... i use  our presant political arena  as a example
its spelled burbot and ths fish is a bowfin and they are not in the same family as a gar or sturgon if you are going to post arogance get your facts strait sturgon dont even have bones they are in their own classification with a cartilage skeleton. if you are going to attempt to insult know what you are talking about.
bowfin- family= Ammiidae its ancesstor were around 130 million years ago it is the last in its family
gar-family =Lepisosteidae there are seven species in north america they are considerd the living fossel since virtually all their relitives are extinct.
sturgon-family=Acipenseridae along with paddle fish thei skeleton consists largely cartilaginous . considered living relics they are the earlyest typs of bony fishes
and the two referanc names i put were to diferenciate the two hence scale and skin.
if you read you would understand what i was saying.  before you post and try to make someone look ignorant learn how to spell BURBOT not BURBIT and get your facts strait! again another misinformed toolshed biologist showing that someone should read up before they look like a A$$

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
Any one have a picture of a Burbot? Are they the ones with the single barbel under the chins?
yes

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular

here is a couple pictures of a burbot... you can see it looks nothing like a bowfin...

http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Gadidae/burbot.jpg

http://www.kalma.ee/images/20070925022530Burbot.jpg

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
and here is a picture of a Bowfin!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
1810 and they still don't get it =)) i love it ..... it's a burbit in the  orignal  english version of the funk and  wagnal  it's spelled  burbit , drived  from the latin word burrbita ...meaning linglike codasours...

http://www.funkandwagal/burbit/via/burrbita/18664709-7789

so you don't have to fillet a sturgon?

and RG said i could go at it and have  fun :roflmao: :roflmao: it's like christmas

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
It's amazing what you can find on the internet....

Burbot

Bowfin

They only similarities I see is that they are both ugly looking fish...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.