The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Time for wishful thinking!  (Read 9712 times)

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Time for wishful thinking!
« Reply #30 on: Nov 12, 2019, 08:45 PM »
Same story every year; almost like clockwork an Arctic Clipper will bring gusty winds; usually at least a few days. It 'll happen; slowly getting my gear in shape.

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 13, 2019, 05:06 AM »
17  in central pa this am.  No way it's making safe ice this weekend, but it's got to be taking some heat out of the water. 

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 13, 2019, 07:08 AM »
I think ol' Chris is just big apple dreamin! Gotta keep the dream alive bro, it'll get here soon just don't go runnin out onto crusty skim ice unless you know the water will only come up to yer belly when you go through... and don't forget your rowboat, LMAO!! Only our RuttNutt would stop off at Tobyhanna in early November to check on ice conditions!!! Come on Rutt... hook a brother up and break out the dingy so you and Chris can go icefishing!!! ;D

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 13, 2019, 07:22 AM »
Optimism is great BUT here in western pa its cold now but next week back into the 50's we will be lucky to have safe ice by Christmas and more than likely it wont be till janurary.After many decades of ice fishing I know im old but its normally after New Years.So I won't touch my ice equipment B?C I screwed things up last year by being too ready too early!!!!!

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 13, 2019, 07:31 AM »
Saint Nick has me down for an I o u but I'll get ice fishing  in about first or second week of jan

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 13, 2019, 07:35 AM »
Saint Nick has me down for an I o u but I'll get ice fishing  in about first or second week of jan

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 13, 2019, 07:36 AM »
Here in the NE part of the state things freeze up a tad earlier. Rutt and I fished that Tobyhanna lake around Thanksgiving a few years or so back and I was on Promisedland lower lake a couple times in late November although I definitely stayed near the shallow areas. But, this thread is for wishful thinking so go ahead and dream on! I don't think it will be a November ice starter, I just hope it isn't a January one. I would like to be on ice before Christmas!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 13, 2019, 07:48 AM »
I think ol' Chris is just big apple dreamin! Gotta keep the dream alive bro, it'll get here soon just don't go runnin out onto crusty skim ice unless you know the water will only come up to yer belly when you go through... and don't forget your rowboat, LMAO!! Only our RuttNutt would stop off at Tobyhanna in early November to check on ice conditions!!! Come on Rutt... hook a brother up and break out the dingy so you and Chris can go icefishing!!! ;D

LOL! If there is a chance................ ......................   ;)

It must have calmed down last night, cause one of the small protected lakes I pass on the way to work had skim ice on 90% of it. Problem is the wind is supposed to pick up during the day and ruin it.

Just trying to keep the DREAM alive!  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline vanlaz0r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Nov 13, 2019, 02:33 PM »
Only have two winters under my belt as an ice fisherman so I was getting pretty hopeful with this frigid weather. Thought to myself "Maybe I should check the IceShanty boards and see what other people are saying before I unpack all my gear." Still, might be a good time to get new blades for my auger.
- Kevin V

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Nov 13, 2019, 05:55 PM »
This morning when I was leaving for work it was a beautiful 10 degrees so I checked two ponds on the way home and they're completely capped so the wind isn't going to matter at those two places.  We'll see how it plays out but I'm going to predict which way it's going to go.  If it happens great if not oh well at least it primed the lakes to make ice when the cold sets in to stay but one thing's for sure I'm not taking any chances, no fish is worth me getting wet or having something worse happen.  I've been sent out to rescue too many "brave soles" who thought it was safe enough. 

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 14, 2019, 05:10 AM »
I took a ride up through Mt Pocono yesterday afternoon. Some of the lakes I passed had skim ice on them. Thin, just a tease. But enough to put a smile on my face! It's coming :icefish:

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 14, 2019, 06:23 AM »
I took a ride up through Mt Pocono yesterday afternoon. Some of the lakes I passed had skim ice on them. Thin, just a tease. But enough to put a smile on my face! It's coming :icefish:

I had a smile yesterday morning when I left the house and the pond along the road was completely covered with skim ice and I live in low elevations around Marshalls Creek. It was great to see it.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 14, 2019, 06:50 AM »
Well, this should make you smile even wider then!  ;D

Our local pond is usually about an inch behind Promised Land and 2” behind Tobyhanna when it comes to ice thickness. I tested it with my ice hammer this morning at 6am. Bout 1/2” of ice and entire lake capped. Guess the weatherman was wrong about the winds!  ::)

Looking at the forecast, I might just take a ride over to P.L. and/or Tobyhanna Sunday morning!  ;)

Where's the FISH?!

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:46 AM »
Some are already ice fishing

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 14, 2019, 11:37 AM »
LOL! WHere is that boatman?  ???
Where's the FISH?!

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 14, 2019, 02:22 PM »
I've got my eye on December 14 to get on Black Moshannon.  December 21 to get on our other area lakes.  That's my prediction!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 14, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Hey boatman was da 4 legged guy running and gunnin... great pic...

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #47 on: Nov 15, 2019, 08:06 PM »
I've got my eye on December 14 to get on Black Moshannon.  December 21 to get on our other area lakes.  That's my prediction!
Jim, think the 14th is alittle early, but hoping to be on Black Mo by Christmas.  I put the boat in hibernation until the spring so bring the ice.  Did drive to Pittsburgh last night to watch Pitt play NC.  Did see few small ponds capped.  Also small pond by me was capped.  Time to charge the batteries and put new line on and get everything ready to go.  It is not too far now.  Nez

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Nov 17, 2019, 09:38 AM »
I checked two ponds yesterday on the way home from work and they both had a little over two inches of crystal clear ice on them. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 17, 2019, 12:01 PM »
Tobyhanna 3.5” in close to launch today, but further out glare ice <2”!

Needless to say we stayed close to shore!

Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 17, 2019, 12:58 PM »
Saw Wiredstone, Chuck22 and a few other diehards there today.

Was GREAT to be out on Nov 17th!

My new swivel seat upgrade worked great!

And thanks to Wiredstone, I managed to catch my personal best brookie today!  ;)

Where's the FISH?!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Nov 17, 2019, 02:34 PM »
Well I guess I get the award for the guess for being out on the ice.    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline chuck22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 17, 2019, 03:38 PM »
Nice meeting you ruttnutt seat looks good I might switch to that seat it looks lighter then my current seat

Offline Coonhunter34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Nov 17, 2019, 04:22 PM »
Jealous!  May hafta make a road trip
Widow Maker Lures
Western Pa Hardwater tournament series

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 17, 2019, 05:06 PM »
Well I guess I get the award for the guess for being out on the ice.    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Yep- you were closest Chris- you get the “award!”  @)

But I got the “prize!”  ;)

Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Nov 17, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Nice meeting you ruttnutt seat looks good I might switch to that seat it looks lighter then my current seat

Nice meeting you too, Chuck- That new “toy” of yours is NICE!  ;)

Yeah, that seat turned out to be awesome- it is a game changer!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Nov 17, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Yep- you were closest Chris- you get the “award!”  @)

But I got the “prize!”  ;)

That's a dandy trout, great job Pal. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Nov 17, 2019, 08:23 PM »
Thanks Chris! It was a beautiful fish- the coloring on it was amazing!

I gotta give Wiredstone the “assist” on this one. He saw it swim by his hole as he was jigging. But had to leave soon after that. He suggested I give it a try. I moved over to his hole after he left, and within 5 min it hit my jig!  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Nov 18, 2019, 07:14 AM »
Great you guys got out and nice trout!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Nov 18, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Thanks! It was a good day!  @)
Where's the FISH?!