Author Topic: Time of day?  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I come from the land of Lizards
Time of day?
« on: Feb 12, 2004, 10:24 AM »
I was just wondering what time of day do you find most productive for northerns? And should you use live bait or dead bait on tip ups for them?  ???

grumpymoe

Re: Time of day?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2004, 11:56 AM »
i've found that there is no one part of the day thats more productive than others, as long as there's light. do use dead bait and LARGE  when fishing with tipups. (keeps the small ones from hitting).

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2004, 01:10 PM »
Anytime of day...and I use both. Somedays they prefer live, some days dead.....the closer to ice out, the more dead bait I use. Little pike will eat bait 1/3 it's size....so in my book, super big bait is a waste of money. JMO

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2004, 01:13 PM »
Anytime is good time, but I have been paying attention for the last couple of years and I do notice that late morning 10:00, 2:00, and 4:30 are hot times for multiple flags.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2004, 01:15 PM »
I get 90% of my big pike between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and all on big dead bait. The bait I use is too big too use live. It would set off the tip-up if it were.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2004, 04:43 PM »
 I would say about 75% of my big pike have come within 15-30 minutes either side 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. with scattered activity between 10:30-2:30.  I have also picked up a few just before dark.  As with tip-up and grumpmoe, I also use large dead bait.

Offline wny angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2004, 05:35 PM »
ive caught some of my biggest pike 1/2 hour before sunset
- had days where id have a flag or 2 all day then the last hour of light  all my flags woulds start  poppin

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2004, 07:45 PM »
Well don't know about big arse fish but to be honest first light i get the most hits on my Minnows and they arnt dead either just a lil hurt and i dont fish deep just like 8-12 feet and i hang the minnow whihc is usually like 6 inches long over the weed bed by about a foot...i also use other things as i posted in big pike not moving some really helpful hints! TIght lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Ice Troll

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2004, 03:52 PM »
I catch all my northern on medium to large shiners, suckers or chubs fished live about 18 inches off bottom. Usually fish between 8 and 24 feet deep and catch more fish between sunrise and 10am than any other time.

Ice Troll

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I come from the land of Lizards
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2004, 09:05 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys. I cant wait to put your tips to work next season ;D

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2004, 04:27 PM »
Sunrise-10:00am are best for me,and also1:00pm-sunset is pretty good also. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.