Author Topic: question  (Read 2247 times)

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
question
« on: Dec 31, 2004, 12:11 PM »
i've done some reading on this board and just want to get something clear. If I were to construct a leader a couple feet long made from lets say 40lb flourocarbon line and tied that straight to my hook it would be suitable for pike?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2004, 12:57 PM »
Yes. I use 50# floro, but 40# will work just fine. My setup is:  dacron main line-barrell swivel- snap (tied to leader)- 50# floro- hook. I also add a small split shot about 12" above the bait to keep the bait where I want it. The snap on the leader is so that I can change my leaders out quickly when I target different species.

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2004, 01:04 PM »
The snap on the leader is so that I can change my leaders out quickly when I target different species.

This is how I was planning on setting mine up, thanks for the clarification

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2005, 06:21 PM »
That is the way to go. You should see a big increase in flags. I am actually trying that Cajun red mono this year just for the hell of it.If it does nothing for me then its back to fluro.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2005, 05:54 PM »
one more quick question, what do you recommend for circle hook size for pike also looking to switch over for bass as well what size should I be looking at for them as well

one last question have seen circle and octopus hooks whats the differance?

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2005, 06:47 PM »
picked up my fluorocarbon line and made my leaders just wonderint what knots you guys use for this heavy line, I ended up using trilene knots as they seemed to work the best for the thick line

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2005, 07:24 PM »
Fluorocarbon seems to work better than wire for line shy pike. I have been using 12 pound for leader and have had one fish bite off this year. Twelve is a little light I would assume, so bump up to at least 20. A pair of trebles works better than anything else, so when you see the fish has the bait you can set. Saw a guy lose a pike that was screaming line from his tip up  this year and miss it because he didn't set the hook when he had the chance. Quick strike rigs, which are two small trebles rigged in tandem (4 - 8 size trebles, depending on bait size), are named because they generally hook the pike quickly if you set when you know the fish has the bait in his mouth. Sometimes though like TFB says, pike will sit with the bait and not run.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2005, 07:38 PM »
thanks for the tips mackdaddy, what about when using circle hooks i've heard if using circle hooks the tension the fish puts on the line while running will cause the hook to set itself am i correct in saying this.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:45 PM »
I have no experience with circle hooks. Supposedly you don't have to set but just lift up a little bit after you start reeling in. I think though a quick strike rig, which is a pair of small trebles, one sliding, one tied on the end, works best. Haven't missed a pike yet this year that had the bait in it's mouth, and caught two catfish last year on my only two flags of the year in my only pike fishing trip through the ice. You just have to make sure they have the bait, then set with a quick, short lift. I wished circle hooks performed as advertized. Some say the do, some say they don't. My brother says they don't, and that's fishing for river trout. In - Fisherman is high on using circle hooks. They give some good info and tips, but for my area many of their tips are irrelevent.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2005, 10:04 PM »
thanks a lot mack daddy, i'm gonna give the circles a shot don't work out for me i'll switch to the quick strike

Offline dirtface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2005, 11:18 PM »
mully it wouldnt be nice if the circle's dont work when it's the big boy. i use bleck steel . pike hunt on mostly smell. chum chum chum chum. try it youll like it. i went from 1 pike a year(sometimes i would have been happy with 1) since ive done that i get a few every time

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.