Author Topic: Pickerel  (Read 1519 times)

fredoo

Pickerel
« on: Dec 24, 2004, 08:40 AM »
When fishing for Pickerel, can you just downsize Northern Pike equipment and use the same basic techniques?

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Re: Pickerel
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2004, 12:46 PM »
It all depends to what you mean by downsizing? If you mean using quick strike rigs, dead bait,Xlarge shiners/suckers/smelt,wire leaders - no. All you need is 20-25lb leaders(check for fraying after each pickerel),#1/#2 hook(personal preference-gold or red),**#2 spinner(gold/red) with a couple of beads 8-10in above your hook,a med to large shiner(21/2 - 4/5in) and just enough split-shot on your leader to get your shiner down and still able to swim around.Find a edge of a weed bed or fish right in it.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2004, 12:30 PM »
pickerel here ive caught in w. ny. ive caught on just about anything; even jigging for perch i guess the best bet is the location ur fishing...find the weed edge...youll find pickerel.  i use 10# test spiderwire and fireline as leader material and had good luck with that.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2004, 06:56 PM »
There's no need to be half as heavy duty....just have regular mono leaders with size 14 or so hooks and a medium sized shiner, fish in similar places as you would for pike. You'll catch them...it's hard not to sometimes..... ;)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2005, 06:25 PM »
Should be just fine using the same thing as northern fishing but minus the 6 inch suckers ;D
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.