Author Topic: tip up placement  (Read 7622 times)

Offline pikeman80

• IceShanty Rookie
tip up placement
« on: Jan 24, 2009, 06:47 PM »
        How far apart should you place your tip up? I have have been going about 50 feet. What do you guys think?
Eveyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink

Offline stephensonswille

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: tip up placement
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:55 PM »
way to close for me. i place my 100 yards apart or better. I was always tought the purpose of tip ups is to spread out across more ground and not crowd a particular area. it's always paid off for me. today for example i had 1 tip up about 200 yrds to the left of my spear shack and another about the same distance to the right of my shack speared saw a hammer handel go thru the hole let em go and peeked outside had a flag on the one to the right pulled em up didn't even put a tape on em looked back and had another flag to the left and got him too. the 1st one was 28.5" and the 2nd 30.5"

Offline gfisher95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:28 PM »
i think you should put them 15ft. apart starting at a depth of 10ft.

A bad day fishing is better then a good day a school.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:20 PM »
All depends what your fishing for ,but I`ll make the asumption it`s Pike your after, since this is the Pike forum!
If you are searching for spots and are new to a lake -spread out, and that is all relative to lake size and your mobility. On foot or quad? Once you catch a fish at a certain depth , move several closer to it, assuming you can use multiple traps in your state. The idea is to spread out ,fishing different weededges and drops till you find an area and depth that seem to work and then gradually move your farthest traps in your set closer to the " Hot" zone . I may start out on a smaller lake (less than 600acres) by placing traps along a weedline/edge every 100-150 feet(40-50 steps give or take) then catch a few/ have a few drag drops -tipped flags etc, and I start moving the farthest "deadest" traps towards the " hot" zone. Distance between traps decreases until it is a little as 40-50feet. By the end of a day or perhaps a few days , I have eliminated alot of water and have hopefully found at least one good area if not two.

Offline TimmyWill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2009, 01:17 PM »
I like to set mine between 20 and 40 feet away, with a ziz zag pattern

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2009, 02:59 PM »
For me it depends how many tackles I am allowed. If we are on Champlain and have three others with me, too far apart and I would spend all my time setting up and taking down :o (15 traps a person) But if it is just me or fishing NH (6 per person) I'm more apt to spread them out and move them from time to time

Offline yog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2009, 03:22 PM »
75 paces for me :tipup:

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2009, 04:28 PM »
DEPENDS ON WERE YOU ARE FISHIN.

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:57 PM »
I like to set mine between 20 and 40 feet away, with a ziz zag pattern

i set mine about 50 yards apart with the zig zag pattern
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2009, 01:47 AM »
DEPENDS ON WERE YOU ARE FISHIN.
You are mean!!! help them out...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2009, 09:41 AM »
I like to fish gravel bars,weed beds, points or islands and try to visualize how the fish would travel through the area and getting to know the lake your on is a big plus. I really couldn't tell someone just go out and set your tip ups in a certain pattern and your gonna catch fish. If there was a magic pattern or spacing of tip ups that attracted Pike I have yet to see it. Fishing in and around structure is far more important than what pattern your tip ups are set or how many yards or feet are between them.

My 2 cents anyway
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2009, 09:58 AM »
        How far apart should you place your tip up? I have have been going about 50 feet. What do you guys think?

How many do you get to use? Here in WI we get three per man. If I'm by myself I usually use a "shallow" triangle, or zig-zag pattern. About 80 paces between 2, with 1 at 40 paces out, and about 30-40 paces left, or right.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline JDN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JHM
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2009, 12:25 PM »
 Find the bait and you will find the fish!!!Cover as much area possible and then key in on areas when flags pop.Large flats,islands,humps and points are good places to start.It also depends on what month during winter.An average depth I start with can be between 5 and 18 feet.Dec & Jan start shallow Feb deeper Mar shallow again.
 It depends on what bait fish you have if its smelt might be deeper.I have caught them on 15' humps surrounded by 90' of water.
GOOD LUCK!!!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2009, 12:33 PM »
Using 5 tip-ups - I drill approximately 50 holes at 40 - 50 ft. spacing, space the tip-ups out; and then when I catch a fish, I move one or two of the others closer to the fish.  Or I just get up and move after a period of inactivity and start over.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:53 PM »
I like to drill my holes in a 100 yard circle. Set up in the middle. I nothing is hitting, make the circle bigger or start another one. I like to set up on the sides of the island or close to the drop offs.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Trooper Bri

« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:53 PM »
We get 6 lines here in CT.

If I'm drilling by hand (read: fishing by myself), I'll drill a line through the area I'm fishing initially, and work out from there. Otherwise, I've learned to drill a pile of holes in a rough grid over the area I want to work, and move flags around afterward. Make all your noise at once and then go fishing. This is regardless of species though.

The line of spacing tends to vary from 20-25ft between holes to 70 or 80ft (we don't have many big lakes in CT, so 400+ ft usually means exploration spacing in new places). My favorite pike lake is polluted with stumps. I don't dare set flags out too far from camp that often. It almost guarantees that the fish gets a run and snags in them.

As previously stated, work the areas where you get flags, find your structure, find your depth.

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:55 PM »
I usually have about 50 feet between them in a line.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline yog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2009, 02:58 PM »
i like to start on one end of the lake place tip-ups every 25 yds, till i get to other end.  :tipup:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2009, 04:39 PM »
I know a guy (not me) that sets them in "l-i-n-e".  Uses a string to be sure the line is straight.  He's a good guy - just a bit "something"; like all of us ice-fishers.  ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline ferrari175

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:00 PM »
As others have said it all depends ill set em close if I know a spot or spred them out up to 100 yards.  Sometimes we will literally blanket an area and you would be surprised at how well just a few will do there

It is a PRIVILEGE to take any animals life not a right and that privilege comes with some responsibility a license to fish and hunt is a license to be a sportsman not a license to kill

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2009, 07:33 PM »
in alberta they have to be with in a 100 meters :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.