New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake fishing  (Read 115669 times)

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Silver lake fishing
« Reply #450 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:13 AM »
Yes  Higgins he has pike bait Mac did closed

Offline sleddog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #451 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:32 PM »
Mack's doesn't sell bait any more.Higgins Family Bait  3834 W Lake Rd, Silver Springs, NY 14550
(585) 689-3186 Not sure what he has for bait.I haven't been there in a couple of years.

He has good bait. Always stocked. Always open.  Baitfish are fresh and simple to dispense. All bugs in bulk or single use containers.  He's bigger then his help-your-self shop appears.

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
« Reply #452 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:57 PM »
Does anyone know if Mack's sells pike chubs? Or the nearest place to Silver I could pick some up? Thanks
Higgins bait shop about a mile down from state launch
ice fishing for life

Offline RyBoh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #453 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:32 PM »
Thanks guys. Fished off the state launch today and found about 3-4 inches of black ice and a couple inches of white ice on top. The drag was good, no slush on top

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #454 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:50 PM »
Nice to know they did not get a lot of snow like the rest of us did.  Thanks for the report

Offline Mr poper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #455 on: Feb 15, 2020, 04:04 PM »
How's the fishing on silver

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #456 on: Feb 15, 2020, 04:06 PM »
Stellar!
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #457 on: Feb 15, 2020, 04:28 PM »
If you like dink perch

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #458 on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:41 PM »
Yep. A whole day of dinks today. Ice is in great shape though. 7”, mostly white though.

Offline catfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Born to fish
« Reply #459 on: Feb 17, 2020, 11:19 AM »
  Fished off golf course Sunday afternoon. Mostly dinks and Four 8-9 in. Saw a lot of huts on south end when we were leaving. How was the fishing north or south ?  Would appreciate some advice. Is it only early or late bite and slow in afternoon?   

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #460 on: Feb 17, 2020, 12:09 PM »
Hi everyone.  I've been off this site for 2 years because I couldn't remember my password lol!  I did the password change and never got an email back so on a whim I tried one of my million passwords and it worked.

I'm in the same boat. Except that mine was locked up in an email account I know longer have. Sooooo I reregistered.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline loverboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #461 on: Feb 19, 2020, 06:54 AM »
Fished just north of Mac's yesterday and kept 9 gills and one crappie.  5 hours worth.  Still waiting for the bite.  Be patient, and they will come.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #462 on: Feb 23, 2020, 08:36 PM »
Quote from: Rjdocs on Feb 22, 2020, 06:52 PM

We were there at north end today 3 flags no fish on east side, ice was 9” 3-4 in black. Where abouts on the north end are you catching pike?

Careful on the North end.  Right in the center of the North end is the inlet creek and in the Northeast corner is the outlet creek.  There is a strong current in those two areas in the Spring.  Also in Perry there is a dam on the outlet that they may open unannounced in the Spring to keep the lake level consistent. When that happens the outlet current increases under the ice wearing it away.  You must know the far North end ice in order to be safe.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #463 on: Feb 24, 2020, 09:33 AM »
Out on silver now. What a great day to be on the ice.

Ice still solid on top. Easy drag.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #464 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:56 PM »
Been fishing other lakes on the weekends but may give Silver another try mid-week.  If you don't mind getting out on the ice in the rain then the next couple of days could be good fishing or should I say catching.  I have a nice Ice Armor suit and a well treated flip-over which stays nice and dry inside.  I have caught a lot of fish in the past in the rain, don't let that stop you.

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #465 on: Feb 25, 2020, 04:42 PM »
Fished silver today for gills. Found them in five fow. They where very reluctant to bite. Even imparted nervous quivering action apone my jig proved to be of no avail. I did manage to catch eight nice gills and two perch. A heavy and ominous fog set in apone the lake. The gills are still in silver. Not like they used to be, but they are their.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #466 on: Feb 25, 2020, 11:19 PM »
Yes the fog started around 1:30 or 2:00.  Really thick, I have been caught out on Erie and Oneida in the heavy fog and had no concept where North was and had to come off by compass, the compass is always part of my fishing gear.

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #467 on: Feb 26, 2020, 06:34 AM »
Yes the fog started around 1:30 or 2:00.  Really thick, I have been caught out on Erie and Oneida in the heavy fog and had no concept where North was and had to come off by compass, the compass is always part of my fishing gear.
That's a good idea. That fog was wicked.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #468 on: Mar 01, 2020, 03:13 PM »
Looked like everybody was having a good time out there for the tournament.  I was out from about 10-230, the ice was white and probably about 7.5" in all the holes we drilled...and we drilled alot.  Had one hold sort of out from silver lake marina where we were catching some dink perch and that was it.  Great day on the ice, probably more people out than I have ever seen on the south end.  Kids laughing, plenty of sun and below freezing temps for most of the time.  Everything seemed perfect except for the forecast....

A few nice pike at the check in - nice job anglers!
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #469 on: Mar 01, 2020, 06:04 PM »
Went to Standpipe Rd North end today.  Shore ice was drifted with snow and slushy, you sunk into the wet slushy snow about 6" until you were about 30 yds out from shore.  4" of snow on top the main ice, Smitty sled made it easier.   Main ice was 10" of solid ice measured, 6" black and 4" white.  Started in 8 FOW , then started South to 10 FOW, 15 FOW, 29 FOW and finally 34 FOW.  Only caught 3 dink perch from 8 - 3 pm.  Stopped at State Launch and saw that the shore ice where everyone was entering looked good, no slush.  Guys coming off said ice was 8" and 4" snow on top.

I have fished this lake from the 60's to date.  Caught many good perch but this year I have met my match. I can not understand or figure out why I was catching 10" perch last year and now not one near that size, most 4-6" dinks.  The larger perch couldn't have just went away, or could they??

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #470 on: Mar 01, 2020, 08:57 PM »
I’ve found a few decent sized perch this year, but unlike the past couple of years, I’ve really had to work to find them. Drilling multiple holes and  hopping between them at times has been key. Catch a few and move, catch a few and move. I was out there today and they would come in and not bite.

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #471 on: Mar 02, 2020, 05:11 PM »
Perch chaser same for me on Chautauqua. Hear about over 9" perch, but got 1 this year skinny, and 1 same size like a pop can a few years ago out of several thousand caught! Pondboss.com says perch can over populate lakes quickly. Hard to believe predators can`t keep up??? Then again walleye, and pike are targets.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #472 on: Mar 06, 2020, 11:17 AM »
Perch chaser same for me on Chautauqua. Hear about over 9" perch, but got 1 this year skinny, and 1 same size like a pop can a few years ago out of several thousand caught! Pondboss.com says perch can over populate lakes quickly. Hard to believe predators can`t keep up??? Then again walleye, and pike are targets.

Too many pike taken out of this lake during the Winter.  I know of two guys that kept 12 this short ice season.  Add that up with the large amount of pike guys on both ends every weekend and that means a lot of pike taken.  Silver in reality is a small lake.  Just my opinion from what I see.

Offline Mytipupisbiggerthanyours

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #473 on: Mar 07, 2020, 11:44 AM »
Too many pike taken out of this lake during the Winter.  I know of two guys that kept 12 this short ice season.  Add that up with the large amount of pike guys on both ends every weekend and that means a lot of pike taken.  Silver in reality is a small lake.  Just my opinion from what I see.

Agree with that completely. I’m strictly catch and release with pike through the ice. Some days I think that silver can handle it, and other days I think it can’t. Really makes me wonder. The lake has been heavily promoted on social media the last few years and the amount of people I’ve seen on it has doubled since I first started fishing there. The perch got destroyed the last 2 years, and this year 80% of the posts were complaining about dink perch. Not to mention the bluegills on the south end aren’t there like they used to be. 

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #474 on: Mar 07, 2020, 03:21 PM »
Agree with that completely. I’m strictly catch and release with pike through the ice. Some days I think that silver can handle it, and other days I think it can’t. Really makes me wonder. The lake has been heavily promoted on social media the last few years and the amount of people I’ve seen on it has doubled since I first started fishing there. The perch got destroyed the last 2 years, and this year 80% of the posts were complaining about dink perch. Not to mention the bluegills on the south end aren’t there like they used to be.

This has been the norm for the last 20 or more years since social media has announced to the masses, large pike were in this lake.  The pike population has existed as long as I can remember we even caught a few walleyes back in the late 50's and 60's.  Most media information about this lake was by word and mouth, and back then only a few guys targeted the pike and there was a nice balance between the fish species.  10"-12" slob perch were common as were the big gills.  Now there are limited number of predator fish and the perch have exploded.  One other time this out of balance thing happened was in the late 1990's-2000's when the pike population fell way off.  Then everyone started to fish elsewhere, you hardly saw a fishermen on Silver threw that time it was a ghost town, you could be the only one on the lake at times.  It took roughly until 2015-2016 for the perch to show some larger size 2017-2018 season was good.  It will again take 4-5 years for the fish balance to return.  The pike tournaments on this lake also do not help.  They require the pike to be brought to shore for weigh and measure.  Those pike are dead at that point and can not be returned to the lake.  Sorry for my rambling.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #475 on: Mar 07, 2020, 04:05 PM »
Iceshanty has basically ruined most of the lakes we fish. One post bragging about a decent haul and every clown and their brother is parking on top of one another. It’s a joke.
Only fun lake to fish now is Erie when it freezes. Catching 50 6” perch on silver and Chautauqua I guess is fun if you’re 8.

Yeah it’s ridiculous. We’ve lost parking because of the weekend warriors on the north end. It sucks. I love fishing silver it’s such a fun lake but man has it gotten blown up bad over the years... social media, tournaments, etc. couple weekends ago I must’ve seen over 100 tip ups on the south end while walking back to the boat launch. Years ago there would only be 4-5 groups out there it seems targeting pike. Now there’s 40. And I saw so many taken out this year. And if the fish weren’t taken home, they were either gaffed, held by the eyes, or had an entire forearm shoved up their gills. We’ll have to see in a few years if the added pressure at both ends makes a difference or not. Based on the fact the perch fishing sucked this year, but was phenomenal the last 2 years with everyone and their brother taking a limit,  I’d say our catches have more of an impact on that lake than most think.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #476 on: Mar 07, 2020, 04:14 PM »
wow inevereard of tislake before!!!!  most begood if you guys been fishing it for  years thinkmy  buddys  and  willhave to put this on our hit list  ;D...thanks guys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #477 on: Mar 07, 2020, 04:24 PM »
wow inevereard of tislake before!!!!  most begood if you guys been fishing it for  years thinkmy  buddys  and  willhave to put this on our hit list  ;D...thanks guys

Please do! Plenty of dinks to go around for everyone. Take all the 6” perch you want! I won’t even complain if you take a bucket of 7-8” crappies they gotta go! Take everybody you know please!!!

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #478 on: Mar 07, 2020, 05:42 PM »
I'm intrigued,  how big were the perch the last couple years?  I have a cottage there but haven't been there on ice in three years.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #479 on: Mar 08, 2020, 01:39 PM »
8-10” perch were very common on silver until everyone and their 3rd cousins coworker showed up and pounded the snot out of both ends. Occasional fish over 10” were also caught. Combination of increased fishing pressure due to social media and just word of mouth are to blame for the increased pressure. It was normal to see over 70 huts out from the beach northward to standpipe. I guarantee perch fishing will be just as difficult this upcoming ice season as well. Realistically it’s not that large of a lake. I’d bet money other smaller non keeper sized fish died upon release because they were yanked up from 35’ of water in under 7 seconds. The lake can’t take 2 years of limits upon limits of perch being taken out and that’s being proven by a SHARP decline in size this year. Just my .02

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.