Author Topic: putting a spring bobber on a pole  (Read 9644 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
putting a spring bobber on a pole
« on: Feb 11, 2004, 07:30 PM »
how do you put them on? much thanks. goodluck the rest of the season
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: putting a spring bobber on a pole
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:00 PM »
i like to use the clip on ones. there are some however that have a heat shrink tube that holds it onto your rod-tip. with these tho, i've had problems getting the heat shrink tubing over the tip guide. yet other people simply use electrical tape. and still other people use thread and rod cement or a similar type epoxy.

Melbs               :'(

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2004, 06:45 AM »
do you put the line through the hole at the end too?(im new at this spring bobber stuff) 
thanks guys
Dave
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2004, 07:14 AM »
 To get the most out of your spring bobber I like to have it extend out past the end of the pole. To do this I throw the plastic clip that comes with the spring steel type bobber away,I like my bobber on the top and my reel on the bottom it is more comfortable that way. Put the bobber on as close to the rod tip as you can, extending out past the tip,use a dab of hot glue to hold it where you want it then use some heavy sewing thread and wrap it tight to the pole, then coat the thread with 3 coats of clear fingernail polish. then run your line go through all the guides and then through the bobber eye. Now you have the most sensitive rod tip ever, perfect for jig drumming. Tight Lines to ya.

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2004, 04:54 PM »
jigginstick, when you say extend it beyond the tip, how far past the tip should i put the bobber?

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2004, 04:55 PM »
Put the little bend in the spring right at the base of the tip guide. In other words as far out as you can, about 3 to 4". When you set the hook it'll fold over and not impede the hook set at all. After a while it will take a bow,to remove this and make it straight again just slide it between your fingers to shape it the angle you want.

Keith G

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2004, 05:28 PM »
jigginstick:  Sounds like how I set up my jigging rod spring bobber.  I fastened mine using waxed string that is flat like tape that I wrapped several times and then ties off.  Then I seald it with 2 part epoxy.  With an x acto knife I neatened things up.  Works great.  I never realized how many fish I was missing before I put it on!!! 8)

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2004, 06:45 AM »
Do any of you guys/gals that use spring bobbers have trouble with them when you're reeling in a fish?  I use them occassionally, but it seems like they always curl around and create problems when I'm reeling in fish.

I must admit though, I didn't have the bobber extended out as far as is being recommended here.  I had them set up to extend just slightly beyond the tip-top.  Could this be the problem?

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2004, 08:03 AM »
 Could be I've always had mine beyond the tip 3or4" and not had any problems with them.

Keith G

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2004, 05:53 PM »
Only times I have  problems binding like that is if I get ice frozen on my line or ice built up and frozen inside the spring bobber guide eyelet.  Other than that, smooth sailing.

tolate

« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2004, 09:56 PM »
perch how do you make your own spring bobbers

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2004, 03:50 AM »
jigginstick:  Sounds like how I set up my jigging rod spring bobber.  I fastened mine using waxed string that is flat like tape that I wrapped several times and then ties off.  Then I seald it with 2 part epoxy.  With an x acto knife I neatened things up.  Works great.  I never realized how many fish I was missing before I put it on!!! 8)

Nail polish works too in place of the epony

OU812

« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2004, 12:44 PM »
I have found that those store bought, heat shrink ones are a pain to thread your line through. Personally, I tear open a clicking ball point pen and 'stretch' the tiny spring to about 2 inches. Careful to 'round' one end like an eyelet with no sharp spots (no line knicks) and use the cheapest superglue and electrical tape to fasten. Fast, sensetive, easy to thread line through just one hole at the tip and save your $4.00 for a flashy teardrop  ;)

my 2 cents

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2004, 07:42 PM »
Do any of you guys/gals that use spring bobbers have trouble with them when you're reeling in a fish?  I use them occassionally, but it seems like they always curl around and create problems when I'm reeling in fish.

I must admit though, I didn't have the bobber extended out as far as is being recommended here.  I had them set up to extend just slightly beyond the tip-top.  Could this be the problem?

I have had the same problem as well, and I think the reason is the same too. I'm glad I read this.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.